SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Daughter making herself some 308 rounds for her rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter making herself some 308 rounds for her rifle Login/Join 
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted
I thought I'd share with you guys a picture I took last night while teaching my daughter. We've been working this load of brass for a while, and the final stages of measuring and pouring powder along with seating the bullet were last night. She finally got to bring some rounds to completion.

We're working up some reduced recoil rounds for her ruger american 308. The goal is to put consistant holes in paper at 50, 100 & 150 yards, and learn how to be accurate with a scope at various shooting positions. I picked up 500 Hornady 168gr boat tail, jacketed Hollow point bullets for a good price to make her practice rounds.

We've started with 10 rounds each of 5 different charges of H4895, from 20 grains to 28 grains, seated to 2.800"

Everything I've found for load data places this at roughly a half charge.

Now we just need to get to the range.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Have you looked over Hodgdon's "60% Rule"? Just skimming I see the max charge of H-4895 near 43 grains with a 168 grain bullet, 308.

43 x .60 is 25.8 grains. That means the min charge should be near the 25.8 grains then UP to the book charges listed. Your minimum charge levels MAY be to low, even with H-4895, which is a very versatile powder.

Again, I just skimmed through but I would check your numbers.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Re think this my friend,reduced that much could cause some grief.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I will most certainly rethink on advice from here.

I had read an article that with H4895 it'd be ok to do down to 1/3rd loads. But it was only one article, and it was the internet.

In looking up (60 percent rule), I'm able to find significantly better information.

https://imrpowder.com/wp-conte...uced-rifle-loads.pdf

Hodgon's site says max load for a 168 gr jacketed bullet loaded with H4895 is 43 gr. So 60% is 25.80 gr

I guess we're going to pull some bullets. We'll adjust to 26 gr - 34 gr, and try those.

Thanks guys.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
No Thank you,saw that sweet child's pic and re read your recipe,I just had to respond

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
No Thank you,saw that sweet child's pic and re read your recipe,I just had to respond
Thank you for doing so.

I was going to do all the test firing myself, until I was sure it was safe.

Still, I'd hate to damage her gun.

We'll re-work the lighter loads...and I'll still do all the test firing until I'm sure the rounds are safe.

www.rikrlandvs.com

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I use the Hidgdon 60% rule fairly often, 308, 30-06, 243, and the 300WSM. I normally don’t load right at the lowest limit, but I am certainly below ‘normal’ book listed minimum charges.

I’ve never had any problems doing so. Of course it’s always H-4895 powder.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silhouette Shooter
posted Hide Post
Have you considered Trail Boss?

Posts: 464 | Location: Fairfax, VA | Registered: March 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_in_VA:

Is that a different powder? I haven't heard of it before. I don't recall ever seeing it.

www.rikrlandvs.com

Silhouette Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
quote:

Is that a different powder? I haven't heard of it before. I don't recall ever seeing it.

Hodgdon makes it. It is specifically designed for reduced loads. It is VERY bulky (little fluffy doughnuts).

The minimum / maximum load range is determined as follows:

1. Fill the case with Trail Boss to the base of the bullet you want to use.
2. Weigh this charge. It is you maximum charge.
3. Multiply the maximum charge by 0.7. This your starting load.

Trail Boss should not be compressed.

Mike

Posts: 464 | Location: Fairfax, VA | Registered: March 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
quote:

Hodgdon makes it. It is specifically designed for reduced loads. It is VERY bulky (little fluffy doughnuts).

The minimum / maximum load range is determined as follows:

1. Fill the case with Trail Boss to the base of the bullet you want to use.
2. Weigh this charge. It is you maximum charge.
3. Multiply the maximum charge by 0.7. This your starting load.

Trail Boss should not be compressed.

Mike

Thank you. I will start looking for this powder at my sources, and give it a try if these H4895 loads are still too much.

www.rikrlandvs.com

posted Hide Post
AK - I didn't see in the original post, what grain bullet are you loading?

For a child that age and that distance, everything over 147 grains is pure overkill. Second of all, as a few have already said - that is not enough powder. I like shooting mouse fart rounds at short range to practice technique too, so I would consider something like 28 grains of RE-15 with a 147/150 grain bullet. Sierra used to make 125 grain bullets years ago, but not sure if they do any more. 27 grains of RE-15 would get you around 2200 FPS with a 125 grain bullet, and that should be a walk in the park for 150 yards, with limited recoil.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post