SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Shotgun shell reloading?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun shell reloading? Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted
Shotgun shell reloading?

As a kid I did a lot of trap shooting with my Dad and my Uncle. My Uncle was a champion trap shooter, a member of a club, and he always loaded his own shells. I used to do it with him as a kid. I've inherited some of his equipment. I think I'll try to do some reloading if I can find some material.

What is a good source for materials such as powder, wads, and shot?? Shot is the immediate concern.
I'm finding wads to be plentiful but powder and shot are scarce.
What should I expect to pay?

Thanks.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23947 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Months back I decided to have shot shell and bullet casting reloading equipment and supplies available JUST IN CASE.

I bought a RCBS Grand progressive press.
I ordered supplies from Grafs,Brownells,and Midway. I also ordered Lead from multiple sources along with equipment to cast. I didn't at the moment order a Slug casting mold, I should have.
RCBS had all the powder and shot sleeves in stock, for my press.
I stocked up, back then,with primers and powder, hulls and wads and about 100# of lead magnum shot in 7 1/2 and 8 1/2 ,I should have bought more!
Get it while you can!

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the Ballistic Products website for all things related to shotgun reloading and supplies.

Posts: 781 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The club I belong to orders shotgun reloading supplies monthly from Graf and Sons so they may have some of what you are looking for...Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Graf and Sons

Graf's has plenty of steel shot and copper, but lead shot in 7.5 or 8 doesn't exist.
https://www.grafs.com/retail/c...egory/categoryId/430

Ballistic Products has it. Thanks!
https://www.ballisticproducts....productinfo/MLLAW/8/

Now which one... Confused

About Lead Shot:

Lead shot is classified in very general names that refer to antimony alloy content. The two types of lead shot are known as either chilled or magnum. Antimony is the alloying metal used to harden lead. Antimony is a brittle flaky, crystalline metal with a density of 6.7 grams/cc. Pure lead's density is 11.34 grams/cc. Therefore, when lead is alloyed with antimony it becomes a harder pellet, but as more antimony is added, the overall density of the pellet is reduced.

Chilled Lead Shot is softer and slightly denser than Magnum lead shot. Many shooters, like Don Zutz, prefer the increased density of chilled lead for hunting loads and the manner in which it deforms when it strikes game. (Think of why hollow-point bullets so effectively transfer energy. It is because they deform quickly when they hit the target. The process of expansion and stopping is what transfers energy.) Chilled lead shot contains approximately 2% antimony.

Magnum Lead Shot is harder and slightly less dense than Chilled lead shot. Harder shot is more prone to retain its spherical shape during the firing sequence. Some shooters prefer Magnum shot's hardness advantage because it generally patterns more predictably than softer shot. Magnum lead shot generally contains approximately 4-6% antimony.

I guess Magnum Lead Shot for trap shooting?
7.5 or 8?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chellim1,

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 23947 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've already started to over-think it.

Unless you are very certain of the chilled/magnum pattern difference in your loads from your shotgun; and are such a good shot that the difference will show in your scores, just get the chilled shot.

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Buy what you can actually get.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buy what you can actually get.

Yeah... I know. But now that I've found a source I can get both 7.5 and/or 8 shot and I can get both chilled/magnum.
I can't get it local, so I have to pay extra for delivery and I'll probably buy two 25 lb. bags to spread out the shipping charge.

-rduckwor

posted Hide Post
I'm somewhat surprised that living so close to "lead country" you can't find any locally. Have you checked out local sources, like Metro Shooting Supplies in Belleville?

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Metro Shooting Supplies

I called them... no shot available.
http://www.buylearnshoot.com/buy/

-rduckwor

Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
Recob's Target Shop shows having Lawrence #7 hard magnum shot in stock.

https://recobstargetshop.com/p...ading-supplies/shot/

Posts: 1275 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check with St. Louis Skeet and Trap club.
www.stlskeettrap.com
636-271-4210

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 367 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Check with St. Louis Skeet and Trap club.

Great place. I've been shooting there many times. My uncle was a life member.

quote:
Recob's Target Shop

I called them. I can get Eagle, made in Argentina I think, but not Lawrence in 7.5 or 8 at this time.

-rduckwor

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
I'm somewhat surprised that living so close to "lead country" you can't find any locally. Have you checked out local sources, like Metro Shooting Supplies in Belleville?

Metro Shooting Supplies did not have it.
However, your post got me to thinking about being in "lead country". I decided to track down where it was made. As it turns out, Lawrence Brand Magnum Shot is made in Granite City, IL. So I called them and asked if I could buy it direct. Yes, no problem. Also, my brother happens to work in Granite City so he is going to pick it up for me, saving me the shipping charge.

Thanks for all of your replies and ideas!

http://www.lawrencebrandshot.c...ct/magnum-lead-shot/

-rduckwor

posted Hide Post
Good job!

You're still unnecessarily fixated on that magnum (vs. chilled) shot, though. Check with the high volume shooters at your club and see if they're paying extra for magnum shot.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
Good job!

Thanks!
quote:

You're still unnecessarily fixated on that magnum (vs. chilled) shot, though. Check with the high volume shooters at your club and see if they're paying extra for magnum shot.

Well, the difference was only $2.50 on a 25 lb. bag. So it's not a lot extra.

Chilled Lead Shot $46.25
Magnum Lead Shot $48.75

-rduckwor

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Went out trap shooting today...
Took my brother and two nephews. One of them is currently at home on leave from USMA. Burned up about 300 rounds.

Now I'm looking for primers! They are scarce.

-rduckwor

posted Hide Post
The best source for reloading supplies should be your local shotgun range. It's where I get all my supplies and 3 presses.

Due to the current shortages you will probably have to leave some "give" in your shopping list. Such as I now purchase Chedite primers instead of Winchester because it what they have on the shelf. As for chilled shot versus Magnum shot, there is zero choice for that selection because the ONLY shot I have seen in Michigan for the past 3 years is Magnum Shot. BTW, do see Eagle, Lawrence, and West Coast shot and it's ALWAYS Magnum.

I'll also note that you are now on a rather slippery slope. Once you catch the Shotgun bug you will be All In. In 3 years I've gone from 3 rounds on the weekend when it was a nice day to now having 4 shotgun presses in my basement and now going 7000-8000 primers per year.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Try your local skeet/trap/sporting clays range for shot. That's where we're finding it where I live.

I'm getting 6 bags of #8 shot Tuesday, but it's local pickup only.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hairy2dawg:
Recob's Target Shop shows having Lawrence #7 hard magnum shot in stock.
https://recobstargetshop.com/p...ading-supplies/shot/

I just bought two bags of Lawrence #8 hard magnum shot from Recob's Target Shop.

The funny thing is that Lawrence Brand Magnum Shot is made in Granite City, IL, which is about a half hour from here. But they raised their price for direct purchase since I bought my first 25# bag a couple of months ago.

It's now cheaper to buy it in Wisconsin and have it shipped there and then shipped back here.

-rduckwor