SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Federal Match Magnum LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal Match Magnum LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
Perhaps this information is out there and I’m just too inept to find it, but I’m hoping for the easy way:

I have a carton of Federal large rifle magnum match primers (GM215M) that I originally intended for use in handloading 300 Winchester Magnum. That rifle is long gone now, but I’m thinking of starting to load for 6.5 Creedmoor. Is there any reason not to use those primers? (Assuming, of course, the cases don’t have small primer pockets.) Is it necessary to worry about adjusting loads that specify standard primers?

Thanks for all replies.

“The most common reaction to a life-or-death situation is to do nothing.”
— Amanda Ripley, The Unthinkable: who survives when disaster strikes and why (New York: Three Rivers Press, 2008)

Posts: 42894 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was advised when I started my 6.5 creedmoor long range journey that magnum primers were the way to go. I had no reason to question the source so that's what I've been developing the load for.

I've experimented with CCI 250 and Federal 215. The Feds definitely gave me tighter groups with the same charge weight (41.8gr of IMR 4451), something I am planning on double checking Saturday now that I have the neck tension issue under control.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 2726 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thank you; just the information I was seeking.

If you don't have a thread going on your efforts, please let us know here the latest results.

— Amanda Ripley, The Unthinkable: who survives when disaster strikes and why (New York: Three Rivers Press, 2008)

Posts: 42894 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will most certainly let you know how it goes.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 2726 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
I have not experimented with them in 6.5 Creedmoor, but in 308 WIN they (F215M) have proven more consistent in velocity (Extereme Spread and Standard Deviation) and also add velocity given the same powder charge.
I can't find all my information right now, but I took 5 rounds (maybe not enough sample size) of Winchester Primers, Federal F210M, Federal F215M, CCI BR, and small primer brass with CCI Magnum and F205M. They were all loaded the same Hornady 155gr ELDM bullet, Varget powder and new Starline brass. They were through a Steyr elite in the same afternoon and I used a Chrono Pro to measure velocities.
Of all those loads, F215M was the most consistent in speeds but did result in higher velocities (~40fps over F210M for example) so I had to reduce my subsequent loads by ~0.2 grain. CCI Small Magnum primer was next in consistency followed by CCI BR (large) and F210M. In other loads I have done between the F210M and the CCI BR they will "flip flop" in regards to consistency leader.
If I did this again, I would have used once fired Lapua brass (more consistent for me) and just neck or bump sized to reduce variables.

Posts: 1697 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Those details are informative and very useful.