SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Tamer 44 mag loads
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tamer 44 mag loads Login/Join 
posted
Hey guys. Picked up a new S&W 69 with the 2.75" barrel. First new smith I've bought and so far I'm pretty happy. Factory 44 specials are soft enough but tne full house 44 mags are kinda stout. Want to start reloading for it and am looking for some starting point suggestions. Want to stick with the 44 mag cases but load a little softer range round. I have AA9 and AA7 on hand but rarely see people use these for 44. Anything better for lighter loads or will those work fine? How bout bullets? Stick with 240 gr or go with something lighter? Just looking for some ideas to start experimemting with.

Thanks all!!

Posts: 249 | Location: Westchester County NY | Registered: September 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
When I first started loading 44 mag I made the mistake of loading full power loads. Still have a bunch of those left. Good for shooting in the lever action but not that much for handgun.

Found that you can use 44 special loads using mag brass and lead bullets. Pleasant and fun to shoot. I would have to check for exact recipes.

YMMV. Use caution and do more research for yourself.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a 44 Redhawk I reload for, haven’t shot it a bunch lately though. Most of my casual shooting loads are with H Universal powder, which is in the ballpark with Unique on burning speed.

I have some plated bullets I load when just plinking and such, 200 grain I think. With most of the magnum handguns I have the full house loads around, but do most of my shooting with modest loads.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
You do need to do your own research, and testing. 240gr LSWC on top of 17.5gr 2400 works well in my S&W 329PD.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
If you really want some tame .44 Magnum loads...tear a page out of the Cowboy Action play book...we have quite a few shooters that still use .44 Magnum Rugers and Marlins...light to midrange cast/coated bullet loads only...usually 700-800 fps range. TrailBoss powder is bulky and takes up a bunch of space in the case, making a double charge impossible...and with a heavy crimp it shoots fairly clean with lighter bullets...

Go to the Hodgdon Powder website and look up loading data for 180-200 grain bullets and powders such as TrailBoss, Clays, Universal or Titegroup...you will find cast bullet .44 Mag data well under 1000 fps making them easy and enjoyable to shoot...

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Cast bullets shoot well at these velocities...but coated bullets are being used more and more in lighter loadings...same data applies. I've been ordering from Summers Enterprises out of Mississippi for my .45 Colt and .45 ACP and have been pleased...his prices are very good and $14.00 flat rate shipping for 4 boxes is good...it's generally 4-5 days from ordering to delivery fo me...

He offers both cast and Hi-Tek coated bullets in .44

http://www.summersenterprisesl...m/category-s/101.htm

http://www.summersenterprisesl...m/category-s/113.htm

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I normally shot full power .44 Mag loads, but this year I'm working on some milder loads.

Currently, I'm loading 240gr bullets with 10.0gr of Unique.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK thanks for the info so far.

Just ordered the dies and conversion kit from dillon. I'll pick up some 240 gr fmj bullets just to start off with. I've never used lead or cast yet. Load for 357 sig and 40 s&w right now and usually work with rmr or extreme plated. Maybe pick up some plated 240s just to try out since I'm first gonna start out with some mild plinking rounds. I'll do some research and keep you posted when I finally start testing out some loads.

Thanks all.

Posts: 249 | Location: Westchester County NY | Registered: September 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In magnum brass, Unique works well as does Win 231, both of which will do nicely in about any handgun cartridge you'd care to reload.

Skelton's old .44 Special load (7.5 gr of Unique behind any good LSWC) can be put up in magnum bass by using 8.0 gr of Unique or 7 grains of Win 231. Both will give 950 fps out of your M69...they do nicely in mine and will reward you with 2" or better groups at 25 yds.

For commercial cast bullets, try Missouri Bullet Co.'s 200-240 gr TWC's and SWC's for superb accuracy. If you have trouble with minor leading, try swirl lubing them in Lee Liquid Alox diluted with about 25% mineral spirits. You can do 200 in 5 minuted this way and it overcomes the hard commercial lube which sometimes fails at low speeds.

I like 0.430" dia. cast .44 bullets in my Rugers and Smiths. But I have used up to 0.432" with no problems.

HTH's Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 726 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A search for "Brian Pearce 44 magnum loads" will also give you some interesting reading material as far as the velocities and pressures from target loads on up.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
8-9gr of Unique under a 240-250gr LSWC, about the perfect 44mag snub load.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I like 180-gr bullets over 26.5 gr H-110, but that's just me (lots of flash). Hodgdon says you can go as high as 31.5 gr H-110, so it's safe (they also recommend a starting load of 29.0 gr--use a magnum primer).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brian Pearce 44 magnum loads

Thanks Jackimoe, for that tip on Brian Pearce's excellent piece on the .44 Magnum.

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 726 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post