SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Reduced velocity loads for 6.5CM
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reduced velocity loads for 6.5CM Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
https://rifleshooter.com/2017/...123-smk-and-142-smk/

I read this last week and sent a copy to my shooting partner. He surprised me as he had both powders and loaded a series up with the Hornady 140 ELD-M bullets. We shot them Sunday and chrono'ed the results and evaluated the accuracy of the loads at 100 yards. 24" Ruger RPR was the test rifle.

H4895 - 36Gr - Avg 2624 fps Accuracy O.K. (just O.K. - not great)

IMR 4895 - 35.3 Gr - Avg 2527 fps and very good accuracy.

Now obviously, one would want to work up a load for max accuracy, but these two powders may hold some value in light of the fact that H4350 has become scarce in my neck of the woods. Short range matches, plinking - hell yeah, why not?

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Started out with imr powders fifty years ago.
Mostly 4350 and 4831.
Went to h4895 because it metered thru the 550 with the short cut type and not having to trickle charge the cases .

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I 1st look to 4895 when I want reduced loads for standard rifle cartridges, usually the Hodgdon version. Often times it's not at the bottom of the "60% Rule", but still a ways below upper end.

Then if I want just somewhat reduced loads, I look at the lower end of standard data in reloading manuals.

I may use the loads for initial scope setup, or familiarity shooting, so accuracy issues are less of a concern.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Did you try the other 4350? I shoot a 260ai, a little more case cap than the 6.5C. I like H4350 with 139-142gr bullets, but IMR7828ssc & H4831sc are very close accuracy wise for full power loads. I have always found IMR4895 accurate, just not a velocity king in any caliber.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I really haven't yet tried other powders. I do like working up loads though, so perhaps I should.

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
RMD:

If your original post is only about reduced power loads then my comments will not address that aspect. If, however, you are looking for powders that are reasonable substitutes for the often scarce H4350, please try some Reloader 17 and IMR 4451 as well as the recommendations above. Both shoot 142 gn. SMKs and other 140 gn. projectiles very well for me.

Henryrifle

Edit: Now that I've read the attached article, I see that you really are interested in reduced loads and my post is off topic.

It is an interesting article and the author does identify some user groups who might be interested in reduced velocity loads. Thanks for an interesting read.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryrifle,

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Henryrifle: Not off topic at all. I have an RL 17 load for the 130 Norma Golden target. It shoots lights out and is fast.

I will look for the 4451.

Thanks,

RMD

Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
IMR 4451 has shown to mimic H4350 as mentioned. RL 17 proved to be temp sensitive in my experience with it. I tried RL 16 on the advice of a fellow shooter and it performed well and was temp stable. I think others have caught on as it is harder than H4350 to source in my area. I've found that velocities reaching in the 2750 FPS range prove to be the most accurate in my rifle shooting Hornady 140 ELD M.

I guess I don't see the advantage of shooting slower loads unless sourcing powder is an issue. There are lots of acceptable powders to replace H4350 without sacrificing speed.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post