SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Powder coating cast bullets?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder coating cast bullets? Login/Join 
The Constable
posted
Anyone powder coating using the Hi-Tek brand pc?

What solvent do you use?

Its as easy as coat twice, then run through the sizer?

Any recommendations appreciated.

Intending to do 9mmand 10mm auto.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I am powder coating with a different brand of powder.

I do not do the solvent step.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I am powdercoating with Harbor Freight powder (the white kind, because that is what they had when I went in there to buy it). I stick it and the bullets in an old sour cream tub dry and shake it around, then dump it all out onto the wire basket over a piece of cardboard, pop the basket of bullets into the oven and pour the powder back into the sour cream tub. Bullets come out of the oven, into a bucket of water to cool, then dry them off and repeat for a second coat. After that, they go through the sizer.

Im pretty new at this...have only done a couple of batches...but the results have been satisfactory.

Posts: 8531 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I use H F brand,red and orange work best.
I spray with the powder electro stat gun.
I use 30# of air and put in wal-mart cheap oven.
400 deg for twenty min
I place them on a home a home built plate with dry wall screws to sit on.
More details if you contact me

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I use Eastwood powders, I found the harbor freight stuff just didn’t work well...stepping up to Eastwood was like driving a pinto vs a corvette
I use the shake and bake method and don’t use a gun but just pour the powder into my extra tumbler and run them for a minute

I do it to 38, 357 & 45acp

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Tried the HF red, worked just fine. I switched to the Eastwood Ford Blue for a overall smoother finish. For pistol bullets I use tweezers to place the coated stuff on a tray with a silicone baking sheet. Placing them base down in nice tightly spaced rows. They come out of the oven without sticking together and getting blemished.

This takes a few minutes longer than dumping them on a tray, the results are worth it Smile

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
I've used the HF powder, and it works fine if using the static sprayer, but didn't have any luck with tumbling.

My son was having some large fabricated items powder coated at a professional shop, and asked if they had any leftover or older stuff that they wouldn't be using. He came home with about 20 lbs of various powders that tumbles like a dream. Needless to say, I probably won't use the HF powder anymore.

Posts: 1276 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Do you then SIZE after one coating?

Dry tumbling is far more attractive than solvents....Thank You

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I do two coats total, then size.

Posts: 8531 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Gentleman!

Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Do you then SIZE after one coating?

Dry tumbling is far more attractive than solvents....Thank You

The powder my son brought home seems to coat completely with only one tumbling. The coating is much thinner than spraying. I used to have to size in 3 separate increments, now I can size it only once.

Posts: 1276 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post