SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    410 from other calibers/ UPDATED with pic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

410 from other calibers/ UPDATED with pic Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
Anyone make 410 from 444/303/9.3x74R brass?

My first gun my dad gave me was a Sears bolt action 410 with a 3” chamber. I got it back from him last year, but with the current situation, I can’t find ammo. I have shot and can make slugs from 38 cast bullets.

Is there anyone who might have an idea how to make brass from these calibers?

I plan on just using fiber wads not wad cups.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I found a few YouTube "Experts" doing what you want to do.
Let us know how it works, I have an old Winchester .410 in the safe and the shells for it are expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tj8MhyatCI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNoLXA34tBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu5JmK1zsXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVGR3KcnM9M

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Yeah.

I’m gonna need some 9.3x74 rimmed cases...my 410 has a 3” chamber. I just went out and checked it. The chamber is not stepped like a rifle chamber, it’s just tapered down.

I only have Unique,AA#7, and trailboss to blow the cases out.

Guess I’ll go visit midway or mid south.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My shipment from MidSouth Supply showed up.....a box of 9x74R was in it.
Tomorrow I will anneal a few pieces And then I have to wait until my range opens up-they are moving a few berms to get some distance for rifles and re-working the other berms....I live in the city nd can’t just pop out back and shoot the grits into the air to blow out these cases.

I have some Unique, Trail Boss and IMR4227 to try and use for a Load development.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Fyi, I bought a case of AA #7.5s last week at rogerssportinggoods.com. Cabelas also has AAs in #8s and #8.5s in stock online plus some Herters shells in various sizes. They also have Herters 000 buck.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Fyi, I bought a case of AA #7.5s last week at rogerssportinggoods.com. Cabelas also has AAs in #8s and #8.5s in stock online plus some Herters shells in various sizes. They also have Herters 000 buck.

I meant Accurate Arms #7 powder vs shot...hehe my bad

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
So today I had the opportunity to try and blow out two cases. My range is closed for construction and I live in the city.

I loaded 10grains of unique and put a paper towel wad over that then filled the rest with walnut media, capped off with some wax.

I had annealed the rifle case(9,4x74R) prior to the test.

One primer failed so I only got one try. In the pic you can see where the case expanded...this is about where the powder ended and the filler started.

Should I try a hotter powder, I have Green Dot, Trail Boss, Unique, AA#7, imr4227, Varget and 2230-s(rifle ammo)?

Or is the half expanded shell gonna blow out when I really load it with some shot to giv it some pressure?
https://i.postimg.cc/2Ss1vn46/...B8-8-CCFBDD08877.jpg

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Found out the primers were not bad...my 410 wont pop a rifle primer, but pistol primers work fine...guess the rifle primers are harder brass.

My range is due to open back up in the next week, so I will be back at it.

Still looking for load data for 5e powders I have...
Unique
Green dot
IMR 4227
TrailBoss

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Got to the range today with these 9.3 cases I had blown out...started loading with 5grains of green dot up to 8.5 grains....

The 8 and 8.5 worked well.

I was loading them with
Powder
Shotcard
Paper wad pushed down
Fiber wad
Shot 1/2 oz
Shotcard
Epoxy or caulk

The lower loading wouldn’t have killed a butterfly at 25 yards.

I was getting inconsistent pellets on a sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 paper at 25 yards.

I’m going to increase the powder load and see if that helps

posted Hide Post
Mike, a typical 410 load should have a total pattern diameter somewhere around 30 inches at 25 yards. On a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper you are only getting a small portion of your pattern. I would suggest shooting your tests at a much shorter range or scrounging up some 48 x 48 sheets of paper or cardboard. Until you've seen your full pattern you just can't get a good picture of how your load is shooting.

I'm not shooting 410 yet but plan ordering Briley tubes in 410 and 28 gage for my 686 this Friday. The guys that I'm shooting Skeet with use H110 for their 410 loads. BTW, one uses Sidekick tubes for 410 and with those short tubes he loads is 410 hot enough that it sounds like a 12 gage and the crimp on the cases have a noticeable bulge to them. The other guy loads his 410 shells a good bit softer but he does use full length tubes. Point is that for a 410 Target shotgun load H110 can go from relatively mild to rather wild. Note, a typical 410 skeet target load will feature 1/2 ounce of #9 shot at 1200 fps.

PS; if you are loading for shooting Clay's I would advise looking at a local gun club that features skeet ranges as a souce of supply for components and ammo. The club I shoot at has been able to keep 209 primers and powder in stock. They have also been able to keep wads and shot in stock. What has been difficult to source has been hulls but they have managed to keep a supply of 410 ammo in stock. For obvious reasons I won't name the club I belong to but expect that they are not the only shotgun club who is capable of providing components to their members.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my club has an area for shotgunning but it is not a trap or skeet setup...there is one in the area, I may go by there and see if they have any different powders. I posted elsewhere that I was using greendot and everyone freaked out.

Much like here sometimes, people don’t read an entire post and just respond. In my post I said clearly that the only powder I had for shotgun was greendot. But everyone jumped in and began bashing me sayin that I hadn’t used a reloading book for the load.

I may just use a square load with blackpowder to compare it to what I’m doing with the greendot. I’m sure that will give me a reference. Plus I’ll do it with a few of the very few plastic hull 410 factory ammo I have.

I’m not looking to shoot trap or clays with the 410, I was given this gun to me by my dad when I was 14, so I wanted to be able to shoot it- but times are weird fight now and ammo is unobtanium right now.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Went to the range yesterday, those who said the cases will even up after a few firings were right!

I tried several with real blackpowder, 1/2 oz of shot and used the same scoop for the same load of BP (fffg). Shotcard, two fiber wads to raise the column,shot , shotcard topped with 1/4 “ wax to seal it. Worked fine. Pattern was meh...

I also shot two factory loads and found that my loading s are comparable.

Pretty happy. Had one case split about a 1/2” above the rim...I think it’s becaus that load wasn’t hot enough to swell the brass completely and it split...so I have 19 3” brass cases for my 410