SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    410 from other calibers/ UPDATED with pic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

410 from other calibers/ UPDATED with pic Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
Anyone make 410 from 444/303/9.3x74R brass?

My first gun my dad gave me was a Sears bolt action 410 with a 3” chamber. I got it back from him last year, but with the current situation, I can’t find ammo. I have shot and can make slugs from 38 cast bullets.

Is there anyone who might have an idea how to make brass from these calibers?

I plan on just using fiber wads not wad cups.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Posts: 7554 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I found a few YouTube "Experts" doing what you want to do.
Let us know how it works, I have an old Winchester .410 in the safe and the shells for it are expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tj8MhyatCI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNoLXA34tBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu5JmK1zsXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVGR3KcnM9M

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 940 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Yeah.

I’m gonna need some 9.3x74 rimmed cases...my 410 has a 3” chamber. I just went out and checked it. The chamber is not stepped like a rifle chamber, it’s just tapered down.

I only have Unique,AA#7, and trailboss to blow the cases out.

Guess I’ll go visit midway or mid south.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.”

Posts: 7554 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My shipment from MidSouth Supply showed up.....a box of 9x74R was in it.
Tomorrow I will anneal a few pieces And then I have to wait until my range opens up-they are moving a few berms to get some distance for rifles and re-working the other berms....I live in the city nd can’t just pop out back and shoot the grits into the air to blow out these cases.

I have some Unique, Trail Boss and IMR4227 to try and use for a Load development.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Fyi, I bought a case of AA #7.5s last week at rogerssportinggoods.com. Cabelas also has AAs in #8s and #8.5s in stock online plus some Herters shells in various sizes. They also have Herters 000 buck.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 9209 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Fyi, I bought a case of AA #7.5s last week at rogerssportinggoods.com. Cabelas also has AAs in #8s and #8.5s in stock online plus some Herters shells in various sizes. They also have Herters 000 buck.

I meant Accurate Arms #7 powder vs shot...hehe my bad

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
So today I had the opportunity to try and blow out two cases. My range is closed for construction and I live in the city.

I loaded 10grains of unique and put a paper towel wad over that then filled the rest with walnut media, capped off with some wax.

I had annealed the rifle case(9,4x74R) prior to the test.

One primer failed so I only got one try. In the pic you can see where the case expanded...this is about where the powder ended and the filler started.

Should I try a hotter powder, I have Green Dot, Trail Boss, Unique, AA#7, imr4227, Varget and 2230-s(rifle ammo)?

Or is the half expanded shell gonna blow out when I really load it with some shot to giv it some pressure?
https://i.postimg.cc/2Ss1vn46/...B8-8-CCFBDD08877.jpg