SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Changing bullet diameter in 45-70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changing bullet diameter in 45-70 Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I received an new shipment of 405gr and 500gr bullets today and had a question for the hive.

With the 500s that I shoot out of my Sharps, I load them with 28gr of 4198, and a CCI 200, which gives me 1200+ fps, great accuracy, and very pleasant to shoot. The bullets that I've been using have been .458. This shipment came as .459. Can I expect any difference or should I alter anything in my recipe?

The opposite occurred with the 405s for my Marlin. .459 down to .458 with this batch. A little different recipe with these: CCI 250 and 31.5gr of 4198 resulting in 1325fps.

My guess is that that is within any normal variance and I likely won't notice any differences with the recipes, but just wanted to make sure.

Posts: 20087 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Hopefully they are lead on this order,you did not say.
Cast ones are usually 1 k larger.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they are cast.

Posts: 20087 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I’m no expert but I would think the increase in diameter wouldn’t be as much of an issue as the reduction in diameter. I have a Marlin Guide Gun and I slugged the barrel using a lead fishing weight and wooden dowel rod to see what my barrel inner diameter is. It helped when ordering bullets

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post