SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    9mm carbine loads?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm carbine loads? Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
Looking for stiff 9mm loads for a carbine. I have 147 gr bullets both jacketed and coated.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
WSF for 147gr FMJ or JHP 4.1gr Max is 4.3 for both bullet types.
I've loaded 231 in JHP and used 3.0gr which I think is the starting load but proved fine for me.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Picture of Buster30290
posted Hide Post
A friend and I got the idea not too long ago to find a HOT 9mm load for our Beretta carbines. He found the load on a forum and we experimented to see if we could safely duplicate it. We wound up with a load that produces over 1300 fps - with a 147 gn projectile - out of the CX4.

147 gn round nose plated
6.9 gn VV 3N38
1.169 OAL

This is a compressed load and requires a very long OAL to allow for the amount of powder. You'll need to check your gun's chamber to verify it will accept a cartridge that long.

This is a very hot load so be careful and work up to it, checking for stress along the way. I certainly can't vouch for its safety but it has worked for us and we've fired hundreds of these rounds without incident.

Buster - "THE SENILITY PRAYER
God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway; the good fortune to run into the ones I do; and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until .......

Posts: 3646 | Location: Nawth Jawja | Registered: February 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Looking for stiff 9mm loads for a carbine. I have 147 gr bullets both jacketed and coated.

I wouldn't put together hot loads with coated bullets. Is your carbine a blowback, or does it have a gas piston (Sig MPX)??

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never understood putting together "hot" loads. There is much to lose and not much gain. It's harder on equipment with the risk of damage or case rupture. And at pistol/carbine distances - little to no gain.

Follow up shots and re-engagement is quicker with a softer load.

With a 147gr projectile - steel falls and rings just the same.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think El Cid 92 just hit the nail on the head. I too do not consider "hot loads" desirable. All my loads across all calibres and cartridges are just about as "main line" as you can get. In fact, when look for a new load for say a military firearm, I look for something that duplicates the service cartridge. I think thi is the smart way to go.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice.
I see your points about "hot" loads.
Maybe I should change my question.
What powder might work better firing a 147 gr. bullet out of a 16" carbine barrel(CZ Scorpion) as compared to a 4" pistol barrel?

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vv320

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Power Pistol

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post