SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Shotgun reloaders step in, please?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun reloaders step in, please? Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted
So.. I need to add shotgun components/ammo to my Reloading Inventory app. I've had some requests for it, plus I can't really market it to 3Gun competitors until I have the ability to keep track of shotgun, so..

Problem is, I don't know anything about shotgun reloading.

I know I need to keep track of the following components, and here are the properties of each that I think I need:

Hulls
-manufacturer
-name
-times fired
-gauge
-material
-description
-length
-quantity
-cost

Primers
-manufacturer
-name
-part number
-lot number
-quantity
-cost

Wads
-manufacturer
-name
-part number
-description
-length
-gauge
-cost
-quantity

Projectile
-manufacturer
-name
-shot or slug
-gauge (if slug)
-size (if shot)
-material
-weight
-cost
-quantity

Then add powder info to complete a load.

Is there anything else I'm missing? Any components, or info about components?

Thanks guys!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: exx1976,

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Maybe a breakdown on type of shot...steel shot vs. lead shot vs. bismuth shot vs. Heavy Shot etc.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Maybe a breakdown on type of shot...steel shot vs. lead shot vs. bismuth shot vs. Heavy Shot etc.

Ok, steel vs lead vs bismuth I get, that would be "material", right? What is heavy shot?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry...my iPad autocorrected Hevi-Shot...
It's a tungsten/iron alloy that is closer in weight to lead...

http://www.ballisticproducts.c...vi-Shot/products/67/

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Ahh. Hevi-Shot, I think they call that, right? I've seen something like that on boxes of ammo at the store.

So, you're saying to add a free-form text field labeled "material" under projectiles, right?

I'll edit the original post to include that. Anything else I need to add? Do I need to add material to hulls? I know I've seen them made from both paper and plastic. Are both reloadable? What about hi-brass and low-brass?

posted Hide Post
Both paper and plastic are reloadable...the high brass-low brass thing is pretty much a holdover from years ago...both work in the pressure limit within gauges (my favorite hull, ACTIV hulls, have no brass, all plastic with just a thin steel disk molded into the rim...sadly they are no longer made)

Jimmy Buffet

Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
That looks like it should cover it. Most all of the 3 gun guys I know buy factory though.

It's a lot more common to find shotshell reloaders killing clays.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I'd be surprised if shotgun reloaders have a need for such a record keeping tool. With both my own shotgun reloading and those I know, you set up the proper bushings, and you haven't changed the load since 1985. It really is a one-trick-pony style of reloading.

Having said that, if I was going to change formulas frequently, it would be nice to have a place to record what powder and primer bushings go with each load. For example, when I thought a load was a little too weak to cycle my son's Franchi I12, I switched the powder bushing one size up without even weighing powder, and then recorded the formula by the bushing size. It's just a different game than metallic reloading.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I'd be surprised if shotgun reloaders have a need for such a record keeping tool. With both my own shotgun reloading and those I know, you set up the proper bushings, and you haven't changed the load since 1985. It really is a one-trick-pony style of reloading.

Having said that, if I was going to change formulas frequently, it would be nice to have a place to record what powder and primer bushings go with each load. For example, when I thought a load was a little too weak to cycle my son's Franchi I12, I switched the powder bushing one size up without even weighing powder, and then recorded the formula by the bushing size. It's just a different game than metallic reloading.

It's less about keep track of the "formula", as you put it, and more about keeping track of what you have on hand - how many hulls, how many wads, how much powder, how much shot, when do you need to order more (eventually how much does it cost you), etc.

Storing the actually load data is a very small part, and not the primary focus (though it is necessary, and most people do find it useful).

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:

It's less about keep track of the "formula", as you put it, and more about keeping track of what you have on hand - how many hulls, how many wads, how much powder, how much shot, when do you need to order more (eventually how much does it cost you), etc.

Storing the actually load data is a very small part, and not the primary focus (though it is necessary, and most people do find it useful).

I could see the benefit from the inventory angle, along with the cost per round. Especially since sometimes Walmart gets below my cost on loaded shells if I'm not paying attention.

Shotgun BOM planning:
-mountain of Red Dot, check.
-mountain of #8 shot, check.
-mountain of 209's, check.
I'm GTG. Big Grin

I applaud you're work on this, and adding a shotgun side is a nice add-on. Now, about that iOS version... Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:

I just re-read this.. You said "powder bushing and primer bushing".. Guessing you meant powder bushing and shot bushing?

I'll definitely add those, good idea!

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:

I just re-read this.. You said "powder bushing and primer bushing".. Guessing you meant powder bushing and shot bushing?

I'll definitely add those, good idea!

Yea,that's what I meant. Thanks.

Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Not much savings in reloading shotgun shells. Last time I checked shot was to costly. Not many guys reload.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
Not much savings in reloading shotgun shells. Last time I checked shot was to costly. Not many guys reload.

That's why I don't reload them.

However, there are still quite a number that do. Hardcore clay shooters usually belong to clubs, and have access to reclaimed shot. Not to mention they load stuff that you can't buy commercially, just like metallic reloaders do, so it's not *always* about cost.

Regardless these facts - as I mentioned in the OP, I've had requests to add this feature, so I'm adding it. Let the users sort it out. LOL

posted Hide Post
You can learn a lot over on trapshooters.com

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mississippi Dave
posted Hide Post
The only thing I don't see is velocity. It makes a difference to me. I load sub-sonic for cowboy action shooting. Also known as 4 gun. Lighter loads means getting back on target faster. Works for pump and double barrel. Semi-auto might not cycle. Someone shooting 3 gun with a pump might find this useful.

Views and opinions I express are not those of my employer or any of their customers.

Posts: 3870 | Location: Central Mississippi | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:

There are shotguns that aren't 12 or 20 ga. The savings from reloading 410 or 28's are huge compared to factory ammunition. Some people even have old 16 gauges that they still like to shoot. All of these are areas where reloading is of great benefit.

Nobody is really trying to compete on cost with 12 or 20 gauge target loads. However, I know a few guys that really hate the way cheap loads pattern, and want to use their favorite wad. Bottom line, there is still an active group of shotgun reloaders. Not as many as metallic, but those that do, make up for it with volume. Smile