SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Montana Gold vs Precision Delta 124gr JHP?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Gold vs Precision Delta 124gr JHP? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Looking to buy 2 or 3000 124gr JHPs for a standardized load (across all my 9mm autos and my MPX), probably running around 1050-1100 fps.

Is there a clear winner between Montana Gold and Precision Delta's offerings in this class?

At lower quantities, there's a clearer price difference, but at 3k + it looks like the difference is less than half a cent a bullet.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would get 100 of each and see what worked best in your application.

A few years ago I tried this along with some Zero brand in 115 gn jhp. None of my pistols are target models and I could not shoot a clear winner. Was using HS-6 and W 231 powder. It could well be the person behind the trigger. I let price be the guide when I found a good deal on some Zero bullets. Have no regrets today.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
I had better accuracy with the Montana Gold, but I'm sure this changes with load, firearms, etc.

Posts: 1789 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
It really comes down to price and the one your pistol likes. I used up many K of the MT Gold 124's and found them nicely accurate, and consistently so. I have no experience with the PD's. I was able to pick up my order at their shop in Kalispell, something they no longer do. Sample both. Back then I used a lot of TiteGroup, then switched to AutoComp. CFE Pistol would also be on my try list.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
It has been a while since I have loaded MG. I regularly load Extreme or PD. My preference is PD.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Precision Delta makes a great product and is run by good people.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
My vote is PD. I use their 124 JHP in my 9mm and 357 sig.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to go with 2k of the 124gr JHP 9mm from Precision Delta. I'll run maybe 1500 in 9mm and maybe another 500 .357 sig.

I wish they had a 155gr or 165gr JHP .40 bullet too, since I'll have to end up going to Montana Gold for those.

I like the idea of PD's free shipping, though.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although I don't have the bullets in hand yet, dang, PD has some fast shipping.

I ordered like 10:00pm on Sunday night, bullets shipped at about 10:30 EST Monday morning and are supposed to be here on Wednesday. No shipping charges.

I'm impressed!

posted Hide Post
I use Precision Delta, terrific service, orders arrive quickly.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting IDPA, or USPSA, where you need to make power factor, Montana Golds have harder jackets, and need more gunpowder to make power factor, compared to Precision Delta.
I can get 1" groups at 50 yards, out of either of my "open" guns at 50 yards, with either Precision Delta, Zero, or Hornaday jhps. I couldn't get an inch at 25 yards with any of the Montana Golds I've tried, but, some shooters swear by them.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
I use Precision Delta, terrific service, orders arrive quickly.

That's all I use as well. Never order the minimum (1k) quantity, as that's what the price per k is posted. Stepping up to 2k gets a good discount, and the higher you go the more discount. Ordering them this way, they are price competitive with plated and a superior bullet. I love talking on the phone with them just to hear that Mississippi delta accent.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post