SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Montana Gold vs Precision Delta 124gr JHP?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Gold vs Precision Delta 124gr JHP? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Looking to buy 2 or 3000 124gr JHPs for a standardized load (across all my 9mm autos and my MPX), probably running around 1050-1100 fps.

Is there a clear winner between Montana Gold and Precision Delta's offerings in this class?

At lower quantities, there's a clearer price difference, but at 3k + it looks like the difference is less than half a cent a bullet.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 18243 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would get 100 of each and see what worked best in your application.

A few years ago I tried this along with some Zero brand in 115 gn jhp. None of my pistols are target models and I could not shoot a clear winner. Was using HS-6 and W 231 powder. It could well be the person behind the trigger. I let price be the guide when I found a good deal on some Zero bullets. Have no regrets today.

Posts: 857 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
I had better accuracy with the Montana Gold, but I'm sure this changes with load, firearms, etc.

Posts: 1633 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
It really comes down to price and the one your pistol likes. I used up many K of the MT Gold 124's and found them nicely accurate, and consistently so. I have no experience with the PD's. I was able to pick up my order at their shop in Kalispell, something they no longer do. Sample both. Back then I used a lot of TiteGroup, then switched to AutoComp. CFE Pistol would also be on my try list.

Posts: 1180 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
It has been a while since I have loaded MG. I regularly load Extreme or PD. My preference is PD.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. FFL(01) NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 8403 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Precision Delta makes a great product and is run by good people.

Posts: 5261 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
My vote is PD. I use their 124 JHP in my 9mm and 357 sig.

Posts: 6741 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I'm going to go with 2k of the 124gr JHP 9mm from Precision Delta. I'll run maybe 1500 in 9mm and maybe another 500 .357 sig.

I wish they had a 155gr or 165gr JHP .40 bullet too, since I'll have to end up going to Montana Gold for those.

I like the idea of PD's free shipping, though.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 18243 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post