SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Reloading solid copper bullets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading solid copper bullets Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

Components availability being what it is, you have to take what's available. I found a deal on some .224 55gr solid copper projectiles
https://americanreloading.com/...r-bt-new-1000ct.html

I plan to use them for general plinking. What reloading data should I start with? Modify it to account for (probably) longer length of the pill? Use 60gr data as a starting point?

Thanks,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Just start with .224 bullets at 55gr. I don't know which powder you are planning to use but you have a choice of a few. Per Winchester Reloading Site 55gr Nosler BT BLC-2 starting 27.4gr- max load of 29.8gr C.O.L 2.180.
Good luck and have fun.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Solid copper bullets are different in two respects:

That are long for weight so start low and work up. Really!

They may like more jump than you expect. Like .050 or .100. Really!

Good luck.

Posts: 39 | Registered: May 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Barnes data a good place to start? https://www.barnesbullets.com/load-data/

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The Barnes TSX seems like a good start. The 55gr is a flat base and they don't have a boat tail solid copper until 62gr.
With all the jump they require, I guess I will have to start with very reduced powder charges and work up.
I may waste the whole box on finding a proper loading and not have any left for practice!
Oh well, I will get reloading practice instead of target practice. Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post