SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    new Redding FL bushing sizer die
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new Redding FL bushing sizer die Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
Figured I'd start a different thread than divert the ruined lapua brass thread....

Nikon or Offgrid or someone in the know.
I just got a 223 FL bushing sizing die.

I'm gonna try and set it up probably tomorrow, but I have never seen a die like this used.

I use LC brass and I measured my already loaded brass before I ordered two bushings...a .242 and a .243 bushings.

The brass I've already got loaded, measures .2435 and .244...I measured 50 loaded rounds and they come out around half and half for the aforementioned measurement.

I do not have a comparator doo-da to measure the shoulder to bump it. But what I did on my regular die was to disassemble the bolt and remove the firing pin assy so I can just feel the bolt as it closes on the brass (w/o cocking the bolt). And basically I slightly turned the old die in and just got the brass where it will close in the gun's chamber w/o leaving a bright streak on the back of the case head (indicting to me at least that the shoulder had been bumped slightly)

I guess I'm asking if the new die should be adjusted the same way to just bump the shoulder back?

I use a Hornady Lock N Load bushings on all my dies for quick changing to different dies/calibers....

I use a single stage RCBS press with the Lock N Load bushing in it as well....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me answer the bushing size first. If your loaded rounds measure .244, you want a .242 or .241 bushing.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as bumping the shoulder, if you do not have a comparator (which is cheap anyway,) then you're method is fine.

In my match rifle, I like my bolt to close with the tiniest hint of resistance and to open with the flick of my thumb or side of my index finger.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
As far as bumping the shoulder, if you do not have a comparator (which is cheap anyway,) then you're method is fine.

In my match rifle, I like my bolt to close with the tiniest hint of resistance and to open with the flick of my thumb or side of my index finger.

That's what I'm aiming for Smile

Thanks for the info!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
You basically set it the same as any sizing die used for bolt. You only need to set the shoulder back 0.001"-0.002". You can measure this using old school method. Find a pistol brass that contact the the shoulder and clears the neck, 9mm, 40cal. Set the brass on your 223R and take a reading. Then size and measure it again. the difference is what you moved the shoulder.

Like said earlier you want your bushing 0.001"-0.002" smaller than your finished round. I remove the internal expander and depriming pin from mine. I use a universal for depriming and don't need the expander with the proper size bushing, unless you go too small and need to open it back up.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
So I made up 50 rounds of once fired brass.

I used the rifle's chamber to "feel" if I was bumping the shoulder enough, and it' feels great.

I got the right insert right off the bat and the rounds loaded easy peasy...

Now I need time to go shoot them