SIGforum
Found rare dies, what else do I need?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/6630086864

April 08, 2020, 11:19 PM
Scurvy
Found rare dies, what else do I need?
I inherited my grandfather's custom hunting rifle. It's gorgeous, built on a 1903 platform and has the sweetest trigger I have ever felt.

Only problem is that its chambered in 308 norma magnum. I have maybe 30 rounds loaded (as hot as my franpa could make them without blowing up the gun) and maybe 50 casings.

Well I came across a set of dies for the cartridge and I'm thinking I should pick them up regardless but if I decide to get into reloading what else would I need?

https://www.armslist.com/posts...ndMessageOnLoad=True

Will those dies work in any press or would I need a specific one?

I also have a .41mag super Blackhawk that I would also be interested in reloading. Can I get one press that can handle both?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I've always been told I should get into reloading but I never gave it much thought until I came across these dies. The only way I know of to get 308 norma mag is to pay like $3/rd to get it direct from Norma. I would love to be able to shoot this rifle more (hopefully without a shoulder breaking load).

Thanks!
April 09, 2020, 02:59 AM
45 Cal
rcbs rock chucker is what I had to use on my 300 ultra mag one at a time.Would not work in the dillon 550 due to length.
41 is shorts to work in any press.
April 09, 2020, 03:32 AM
sourdough44
I don’t consider the 308 Norma mag all that rare. I see dies & ammo in stock without even looking much, though not likely to find any at Walmart.

I wouldn’t feel rushed to buy any dies, or possibly dealing with potential long range Armslist shenanigans.

Yes you could load the 41 mag & the 308 Norma on the same press. The main issues would be specific dies & shellholders.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/...gory/categoryId/2026

Sounds like a family heirloom.
April 09, 2020, 07:09 AM
Scurvy
Definitely is a family heirloom but it's downright painful to shoot. My grandfather's loading philosophy was to keep upping the powder charge until he broke something, then back down a little bit and get the rifle fixed.
April 09, 2020, 07:49 AM
sourdough44
If you do get into reloading, no sense to push the upper limits.

I load for an assortment of older rifles & milsurps. Most of the time the loads are for the 50 yard target range. Certainly no need to explore max loads for that.

Even when the son wants to use one for deer hunting, it’s often down to a 40-50 yard shot.

Take the 8mm Label for example, early French rifle. Modest loads are easier on the rifle, the shooter, and then the somewhat rare brass.
April 09, 2020, 08:29 AM
Scurvy
I would definitely down load it if I started doing it.
April 09, 2020, 11:46 AM
divil
I would buy some factory ammo so you have a known control point of reference. Norma still
Loads it.
April 09, 2020, 07:54 PM
MikeinNC
My Sierra manual lists it. From 110,125,150,165,168,175,180,200 & 220 grain bullets. Only the 110s make 3500fps.

Midway has those dies in stock and not too expensive.... Here

Plus they are new and you know that nothing has been done to them and they can be returned... for $74.00 I’d go with those....

Get a manual, get a mentor and get at it...

And tear apart those reloads and load them within acceptable loadings .

If you live near Temple Tx I’d be happy to help.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
April 09, 2020, 10:58 PM
David Lee
The Redding Ultra Mag is one beautiful single station press. High quality to boot. Costs more than most single tool presses but strong as hell and wide open front frame. Yes to the dies, they are pretty much all standard 7/8 14 thread to fit all presses.
April 10, 2020, 05:18 AM
gearhounds
quote:
And tear apart those reloads and load them within acceptable loadings

This. I’m extremely reluctant to fire any hand loads that either I didn’t load myself, or know for a fact were not exceeding limits of the cartridge. If gramps was a tinkerer with upper performance limit boundaries as you describe, don’t take the chance.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
April 10, 2020, 10:04 AM
sourdough44
FWIW, years ago I got some reloads with a Sako rifle purchase. They were nice, newish, Norma cases, 243.

The data was written on the box, just above average max charge weights for the bullet with one of the 4350 powders.

I pulled the bullets, reduced the powder to my liking, then reloaded. Yes, upon visual inspection the powder was consistent with the labeled 4350.

They ‘likely’ would of been fine, fairly reputable history. I had some time & just the better way to go about it.

The 308 Norma Mag has ballistics close to the 300 Win Mag. For most shooting, nothing wrong with taming it some.
April 10, 2020, 11:50 AM
1967Goat
Redding makes .308 Norma Mag dies. Redding is top of the line dies.

Redding Catalog

April 10, 2020, 03:29 PM
Expert308
Depending on how many .41 Mag rounds you're thinking of reloading, you may find that getting all the equipment set up (one-time purchase, but it can be a spendy one) and components laid in is more expensive than just buying commercial ammo. I know there aren't a lot of different .41 Mag loadings available commercially, so that might dictate loading your own depending on what kind of loads you want.
April 10, 2020, 04:50 PM
cas
That would be true if he plans on shooting 50-150 rounds.. ever.

If he's doing any amount of actual shooting, it will pay off quickly, 41 mag ammo is expensive.

(The 41 should be a Blackhawk. Up until recent stupidness from the current ownership at Ruger, all Super Blackhawks were 44 mags.)

April 10, 2020, 06:00 PM
Scurvy
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
That would be true if he plans on shooting 50-150 rounds.. ever.

If he's doing any amount of actual shooting, it will pay off quickly, 41 mag ammo is expensive.

(The 41 should be a Blackhawk. Up until recent stupidness from the current ownership at Ruger, all Super Blackhawks were 44 mags.)

It's got adjustable sights on it and it's from the 70s or 80s. I thought adjustable rear sight immediately meant super black hawk.

The reloads I buy are full power, 210gr, 1387 fps hunting loads. Shooting factory ammo just isn't any fun.

I thought of I bought everything to do the Norma mag, the cost to also be able to do 41mag would be pretty minimal. Right now I just put a cylinder or two down it once in a while for the giggle factor. Of I had cheaper target loads, I would shoot it more.