SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Buy a conversion kit or just get another 650 ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buy a conversion kit or just get another 650 ? Login/Join 
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted
I currently have a 650 set up for .357 sig and have it dialed in. I was thinking of loading some 9 mm and it will cost about 275 for the conversion kit, dies, etc.

also considering a new loader set up so I don't have to mess with it. for those of you who have multiples, is it worth doing ?

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
If the money part doesn't bother you, there is no conversion that is as fast as scooting the chair over to the next machine. An added benefit is that you have every single spare part you might ever need in stock should you ever need it on a Friday night.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
If your are thinking this way go ahead and do it now.
Took me some years to double down on the second 550.
I wish I had went with the 650 though

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I currently have a 650 set up for .357 sig and have it dialed in. I was thinking of loading some 9 mm and it will cost about 275 for the conversion kit, dies, etc.

also considering a new loader set up so I don't have to mess with it. for those of you who have multiples, is it worth doing ?

Caliber changes on the 650 are simple and quick - 8-10min.

If you have a second tool head with all the dies installed and a second powder hopper that is dialed in........No significant adjustments are needed. Tool head stands are great to store.

Either way.... you won't go wrong. Just 275 vs 1200.

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Either way.... you won't go wrong. Just 275 vs 1200.

I just moved my collator from one to the other before I converted my first bullet collator into a brass collator.

I just left the set screw loose, drop it on and snap in the tube. You might need to swap plates too but they drop in as well.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I only have room on my bench for one 650, so I go the conversion kit routine. With a complete separate toolhead setup (about the $275 you quoted), it is a very quick changeover. I also usually take that opportunity to do a bit on interior cleaning and adjusting/replacing small parts/etc on the press, as needed.

Another feature of the 650 I like is that the entire priming system can be removed and swapped as a unit. Dillon sells complete priming systems for large and small pistol primers ($85), so going from a caliber that uses one to the other size adds very little to the caliber change time.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I'm a red reloader, not blue. However, I do have multiples. I have an old Pro 7 dedicated to just 9mm, and nothing beats having it always ready to go. I haven't had to touch it in years, just load and go. I also don't feel the need to load a bunch all at once. I load now just what I need.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I load for 6 different calibers and possibly a 7th before long. My reloading area isn't large enough to accommodate that many presses. I use a 550 and swapping out for a different caliber is no trouble, even if I have to change out the primer feed tube.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I use an old 450B that's been partially upgraded to a 550 (just the frame, not the powder charging stuff). Caliber changes are quick with the 550 toolheads. What takes time and is a PITA is switching primer sizes. If I was going to add a second machine, I'd have one set up for small primers and the other for large primers. So, .45ACP/.45LC/.44/.308/6.5CM on one machine, .38/.357/.223 on the other.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Just me, but buying a progressive & conversions is a whole lot cheaper. It takes about 15m to swap out from 9 to 357sig or 40. Your $$ though have at it.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure that one can own too many 650s.....if the $$$ are available, go for it!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I have two 550's but I packed one up years ago. Mostly because I planned on selling it, and to clear up some real estate on my bench.

Caliber conversion doesn't take that long at all. With the toolheads already set up with dedicated powder measures, the only time consuming part is changing out the shell holder. And maybe the primer tube if going to a different size.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have one 550 and 4 conversion kits with the dies already set into 4 tool heads. I used the extra money on more components.

I agree with agony.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Geaux Tigers
Picture of Alcapone396
posted Hide Post
If the money no problem I say do it!! As was said earlier, sliding over to the next press would be great and the spare parts are there in a pinch if you need them!!

Al______________Capone396

P220 Combat, P220 Sport, P220EL, X-5 Comp 9mm , P226 BlackWater, P226 ST.357 Sig, P226ST 9mm, P229ST .40, P228, P232 SL, Glock 19, CZ75BSS, CZ-83, S&W 29, S&W 640, S&W 642, Ruger MKII, Ruger Charger,, HKP7,,Browning Hi Power, Colt Anaconda, S&W 460 Mag, RRA 9mm CAR, Robinson Arms XCR, FN-SLP ,Arsenal SAS-M7,, Built AR-15 with lots of goodies,,Etc, Etc, Etc.....

Posts: 1263 | Location: Down South in Bayou Country | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post