SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Dillon 550 Spraying Spent Primers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dillon 550 Spraying Spent Primers Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted
What have you Dillon 550 uses done to stop the periodic spraying of the spent primer?

The below pic is from a recent loading session where the spent primer landed in the shell casing bin and I did not notice it till t was too late. Since the pic I've done the following:

*Replaced the cotter pin (with a paper clip) on the Spent primer catch chute
* Added a Primer Spent Primer cup extension
*Added a Primer Track Bearing Plate w/ball bearing

This has cut down the primer that drop the wrong direction but I still get the flyers shoot off the decapper pin.

Is ther a way to control the fling spent primers or is that just a function of the Dillon 550 that is what it is.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Take the rotating part off that is held on with the cotter key.
The edges are rough from being stamped metal, file the edges to a smooth slick finish.
The holes also need to be de-burred.
When you put back together make sure all sided are smooth and bent in a fashion as to not to drag against the fixture that is permanently
mounted.
Look closely at primer pin punch to see id it has damage,fine sandpaper if it is scuffed or damaged.
If it is a hornady brand , sizer make sure the punch is centered in the die.
The stem on these are weak and can shift off center.
I had this happen yesterday to myself as I got back into reloading some brass after two years.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tpis.

I took a 3 year break and just got back into it as well. It's funny, I've made 2,500 rounds this year and bent 3 depriming pins. Didn't bend any in the first 10,000 rounds before I put it away.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
I bought a different primer cup with higher sides. That catches 99% of them.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cotter pin on mine was the problem. I replaced it with a paper clip several hundred rounds ago. So far so good.
Good Luck,
TF

Posts: 32 | Location: Kansas | Registered: May 15, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post