SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Are These Primers Likely Still Good?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are These Primers Likely Still Good? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Would primers that sat in the basement of an un-air-conditioned, probably un-dehumidified home that was vacant for a couple years or so still be good?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most likely they will be just fine. Primers are pretty stable creatures. To be safe, just load a few, and give them a try.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I would think they would be fine.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Ok. That's good to know. Thanks, guys.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Would primers that sat in the basement of an un-air-conditioned, probably un-dehumidified home that was vacant for a couple years or so still be good?

Basement more temperature stable than an uninsulated garage. Likely still good.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
Basement more temperature stable than an uninsulated garage.

True, but also possibly a good deal more damp.

Eventually I'll get the man cave finished, get my reloading bench set up, and find out.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
A little example of primer’s durability...I moved into my house in 1986 and took some of my flotsam and jetsam from the move into the attic in plastic tubs (hotter than the devil’s butthole in the summer and cold as a witch’s titty in the winter...over and over)...long story short...after over 20 years in this environment I took down the tubs down to trash them (they were disintegrating in that environment). Before dumping out the contents I rummaged through the tub and found some CCI small magnum primers as well as Some Speer 124 grain 7.35 Carcano Bullets I bought in the 70s to reload. (Try finding true .300 caliber bullets in this day and time) Just for kicks I loaded the primers in .38 Special cases and they all went bang. Would I trust my life to them? No...nor would I ever use them in CAS. But they worked to ignite powder...go figure Wink

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
Basement more temperature stable than an uninsulated garage.

True, but also possibly a good deal more damp.

Eventually I'll get the man cave finished, get my reloading bench set up, and find out.

Is an empirical question, but I am pretty sure are fine.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
put some ear pro on and take one outside. put it on the concrete and smack it with a hammer. if it goes bang, you're good to go. Big Grin

-TVz

Posts: 428 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Just put one in a case and try it.

quote:
Originally posted by TVzombie:
put some ear pro on and take one outside. put it on the concrete and smack it with a hammer. if it goes bang, you're good to go. Big Grin

-TVz

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

That describes 98% of my primers over the last 40+ years. Smile

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting reloaded 9mm for the past couple of months almost exclusively, and all of my components as far as powder, primers, bullets have all been purchased 10 years ago. They have been stored in my garages and I've had no issues whatsoever in my loads. Every single one of my Federal small pistol primers go bang so far.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post