SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Best bullet for Sig 220
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best bullet for Sig 220 Login/Join 
posted
What cast/coated 45acp bullet will work/feed best in my Sig 220 Carry?
Factory jacketed bullets work fine, but so far cast bullets that I have tried )180SWC, 230RNFP)do not feed well.
Any suggestions? Thanks

Posts: 210 | Location: United States | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've used a 200gr Lazercast LSWC with good results in several guns, including a P220. I had to tinker with the seating depth / OAL a bit to get the bullet to feed reliably from the 220 magazines. As I recall, it needed to be seated just a bit shorter than is normal for that bullet. I think the 220 magazine has a bit less clearance in the bullet nose area than a 1911 magazine does. I've since sold the gun, but not for any reliability issues.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first P220 would not handle the SWCs I load for 1911s. I do not ask the second one to try. Roundnose is the easy way out, a truncated cone might be worth a try.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Missouri Bullet Co's 200 gr LSWC works well and feeds in 9 different 1911's plus my factory nickle P220. Accuracy is comparable to any of my better 1911's...two handed, Weaver stance groups from the 15 yd line will cut into an inch if I'm doing my part.

I've found that getting LSWC's in .45 cal. to feed is usually a length problem. Try varying it short to long and see what you get...longer is better for me. I cast a copy of the old H&G #68 with good results and that Missouri LSWC is a copy of it except for the bevel base.

Try Win 231 +-5.0 grains, and leave just a smidgon of the lead shoulder showing (like maybe 1/32"; just enough to keep the case mouth from contacting the feed ramp or barrel hood)...do a plunk test too. A 1.240" LOA works well through all of my guns. If you run into leading at 0.452" dia, try re-lubing with Lee Liquid Alox with their swirl lube technique. You can do a box of bullets (500) in a cpl minutes and let dry overnight. I find most hard commercial lubes are virtually worthless until velocity gets up there. That 5+- grain load I mentioned is just under 800 fps over my chrono.

I also cast a copy of the military FMJ, (Lyman's 452374) and while it's ok, it isn't as accurate as any LSWC that I've yet tried. Too, I hate turning a tapered crimp over the first part of the ogive. By casting the 200 H&G, I'm saving about 30-35 grains of wheel weights on ever trigger pull too!!

HTH's YMMV, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 726 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
IF your gun won't feed a 230gr RN anything, something is wrong. Lots of 230gr LRN, coated or lubed.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I have been feeding my 45ACP chambered P220s the H&G #68 since the 1970s

No other cast projectile has ever been through any of my Family's 45ACP auto-loaders.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post