SIGforum
COAL P220 and P226?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/6470083764

March 10, 2020, 08:54 AM
dcaven
COAL P220 and P226?
What COAL operates the best in each of these pistols? Thanks.
March 10, 2020, 05:45 PM
markstempski
Check with your loading manuals. The only time I have departed from the Hornady annual one is to make sure my 9mm rounds pass the kerplunk test with my barsto 9mm barrel and that of the CZ barrels I have. COAL more important the closer you are to max.
March 10, 2020, 10:17 PM
jackimoe
Another simple way is to measure the OAL of factory ammo that feeds reliably through the pistols. A similar bullet profile should work and as posted above - always do the plunk test to confirm as some guns will not feed the rounds that the Sigs will due to chamber differences.CZ guns are good examples of pistols that benefit from the OAL fine tuning
March 12, 2020, 08:27 AM
dcaven
I measured some factory ammo. My P220 has always fed anything I've ever put in it. Not paying attention, I once fired an old ham sandwich from it. It was fine. The loading manual gives a measurement but I've noticed a lot of people who post their loads deviate from this. I going to go with the books but was just wondering about why people deviate from them. Is there some benefit?
March 17, 2020, 09:03 PM
1KPerDay
My P220 likes them a little shorter than typical. COAL is difficult to proscribe due to differences in barrels, leades, and ogives. The plunk and feeding tests are your friends.

My 226 is fine with typical bullets at the typical lengths. Some, like MBC Smallball, require 1.085”. But that’s common with that bullet.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.