SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Help me shop for a new powder scale
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me shop for a new powder scale Login/Join 
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:

In 2013 I loaded my ammo for the Nationals using that methodology and after 500 rounds over a period of 2 days, I was hating the Gempro. It kept drifting after a while and I had to re-zero and even recalibrate just to be sure. I was trying to load to 0.1 grain consistently. It was epic, but the drifting is part and parcel of strain guage scales. This Gempro is no longer available and has been replaced with the Gempro 300; a good scale for reloading, but it's still a strain guage and it will drift over time so it's good for shorter sessions.

Myweigh stopped selling the Gempro 250 a while back due to problems. And they don't have a replacement for it. I sent them an email a couple weeks ago about drift problems I was having with mine which I purchased in 12/2017. They told be to send my receipt and they'd issue a refund for the cost I paid. Got my refund check last week.

It didn't really matter since I'd already moved on from the 250. Next I tried a RCBS 1500. But when I had the chance to buy an A&D Fx-120i for $350 after a rebate, couldn't resist that buy. Had to buy the Trickler and Auto Throw as well. I love reloading with my system now. Fast and accurate. And for the first time, I actually feel like I can trust my scale and don't have to second guess it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ed308,

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've not shopped at Myweigh. I've bought at Old Will Knots, but that was while back.

An A&D FX-120i for $350? That's a steal. Good job. Yeah, the gadgets from New Brunswick make it really works fast and well. I can barely keep up, just putting the powder in the cases.

ETA: Removed the link to the Brownells Gempro 300 scale.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NikonUser,

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I bought a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Precision Scale. They're less than $100. Then I bought a couple very small calibrated test weights for it. One of them is 1g Class 2 traceable, complete with certificate. The other a precision 500 mg test weight guaranteed to be accurate w/in a fraction of a tenth of a grain. The scale is dead-nuts accurate to w/in the promised ±0.1 gr.

Even testing it over time, with mildly varying temperature in the house, it usually tended to stay true.

The only time, in the several days of testing, I saw it go outside the ±0.1 gr. was after it'd been on all day, w/o re-zeroing, with the house temperature wandering several degrees back-and-forth. It got as bad as 0.3 gr. off. When that happened I'd re-zero, test again, dead nuts.

N.B.: I haven't started reloading yet.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've not shopped at Myweight. I've bought at Old Will Knots, but that was while back.

Brownells sells the Gempro 300
https://www.brownells.com/relo...cale-prod123771.aspx

The good thing with Brownells is their warranty. If you don't like it, send it back.

An A&D FX-120i for $350? That's a steal. Good job. Yeah, the gadgets from New Brunswick make it really works fast and well. I can barely keep up, just putting the powder in the cases.

I should've said Myweigh which is the company that makes the Gempro brand of scales. The 250 has a lifetime warranty. I bought mine from Old Will as well. They may have a copy of your receipt on their system. If so, send Myweigh a email regarding the drifting problem and see if they offer a refund.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ed308:
quote:
I've not shopped at Myweight. I've bought at Old Will Knots, but that was while back.

Brownells sells the Gempro 300
https://www.brownells.com/relo...cale-prod123771.aspx

The good thing with Brownells is their warranty. If you don't like it, send it back.

I should've said Myweigh which is the company that makes the Gempro brand of scales. The 250 has a lifetime warranty. I bought mine from Old Will as well. They may have a copy of your receipt on their system. If so, send Myweigh a email regarding the drifting problem and see if they offer a refund.

Thanks for the info. I went to their website and they do show the GP300:
https://myweigh.com/product/gempro-300/

So, I'm guessing the eliminated the 250 and they now have the 300.

Since I bought my GP250 at OWK, I should have an electronic receipt somewhere. I may just contact Myweigh and complain. Thanks for the tip.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I bought a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Precision Scale. They're less than $100. Then I bought a couple very small calibrated test weights for it. One of them is 1g Class 2 traceable, complete with certificate. The other a precision 500 mg test weight guaranteed to be accurate w/in a fraction of a tenth of a grain. The scale is dead-nuts accurate to w/in the promised ±0.1 gr.

Even testing it over time, with mildly varying temperature in the house, it usually tended to stay true.

The only time, in the several days of testing, I saw it go outside the ±0.1 gr. was after it'd been on all day, w/o re-zeroing, with the house temperature wandering several degrees back-and-forth. It got as bad as 0.3 gr. off. When that happened I'd re-zero, test again, dead nuts.

N.B.: I haven't started reloading yet.

Just FYI. +/- .1gr represents a range of 11 kernels of Varget. I load to the kernel with my A&D; that's at 0.02gr. I accept 43.60 and 43.62gr, not 43.5 to 43.7gr.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ed308, you are now officially my new best friend here. Cool

I sent an email to MyWeigh and I also found the old email from OWK at the time of purchase back in 2013. I sent that to Myweigh and they are now refunding my purchase price for the Gempro 250. They seem to indicate that they don't carry the Gempro line anymore. So, fair warning to all: Stay away from Gempro. But do consider other scales from Myweigh; I am very impressed with their customer service.

posted Hide Post
I found this video on Youtube that shows the difference between Strain Guage and Magnetic Force Restoration scales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...bj0&feature=youtu.be

I'm adding it to the stickied thread.

Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I sent an email to MyWeigh and I also found the old email from OWK at the time of purchase back in 2013. I sent that to Myweigh and they are now refunding my purchase price for the Gempro 250. They seem to indicate that they don't carry the Gempro line anymore. So, fair warning to all: Stay away from Gempro. But do consider other scales from Myweigh; I am very impressed with their customer service.

Glad I could put some money in your pocket.

Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by badcopnodonut!!:
NikonUser in your opinion is the RCBS CM the best option for less than $400?

I have a lot of respect for the CM1500. It served me very well for many years, but it has its precision limitations. If you are trying to keep at 0.1 gr or so variation, it will do well for you.

As I said earlier, it's one integrated unit and it was quite fast compared to other similar brands. I understand RCBS has a lite version of the CM1500; I know nothing about it and never tried it. But it might be worth a look.[/QUOTE]

I did indeed check out the CM lite. I’ve read reviews and watched videos comparing the the 2 RCBS devices. The Lite is a one piece unit, has a glass touchscreen and ditched the 30 load memory option. It also has a bubble level built into it. RCBS has also fluted the inside of the drop tube which seems to allow for a more uniform flow of the powder resulting in very few over charges.

When Brownells has them back in stock I’m going to give one a try. Many thanks for your all your input on this.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Glad I could put some money in your pocket.

I had completely forgotten about this until today when the refund came in from HBI. I am very impressed.

Thanks again, Ed308