SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What bullet for 357sig?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What bullet for 357sig? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I use the Xtreme 147gr HP and I don't think it can be beat.

Posts: 26 | Location: Way Up North, Maine | Registered: April 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
For carry I use SPeer 124gr Gold Dot JHPs made specifically for the 357SIG.

For target use just about any quality brand if fine... I prefer Speer nickle brass but the plain works fine too.

FWIW

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1346 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
I'm using 9mm 124 Gr. RMR Hardcore Match Flat Nose Plated. $81.00/1000 including frt.
Accurate No.9 at 12g - Fills case nice.
Using Lee 357 Sig 4 die set and deprime using Lee 40 die first. Lub and finish the round - Never any issues with setback or failures of any kind - Have not chrono'd any yet. Shoot in a P226

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RGRacing:
I'm using 9mm 124 Gr. RMR Hardcore Match Flat Nose Plated. $81.00/1000 including frt.
Accurate No.9 at 12g - Fills case nice.
Using Lee 357 Sig 4 die set and deprime using Lee 40 die first. Lub and finish the round - Never any issues with setback or failures of any kind - Have not chrono'd any yet. Shoot in a P226

I think you will find 12gr a pretty pedestrian load, about 1200fps? For plated though, you want to stay under 1300fps anyway. If all you want is 1200fps, any of the medium burners get you there cheaper & probably cleaner.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
What are others using for 357 Sig bullets - It is always daunting to begin the guessing game - Nice to see some of the comments.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mississippi Dave
posted Hide Post
I use Montana Gold bullets 125 grain hollow point with AA7 powder. It works well for me. There are plenty of other bullets and powders a person can use to load this round.

Views and opinions I express are not those of my employer or any of their customers.

Posts: 3870 | Location: Central Mississippi | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of 357 sig. MGs 125gn FP work real well. If you want to spend less, then the extreme 124gn fp plated and the rmr hardcore match flat point plated work and cost about the same. I buy both whenever they run a sale. Rmr just started selling their own 124gr FP FMJ that I picked up on sale. Very happy with them and can push harder if I want. I've never tried cast but I'm sure I will give them a try one day. I use either AA9 or AA7 now but want to experiment with some other powders. My usual practice load is 12.1gn aa9 with the extreme or rmr plated. Very accurate and as soft a shooter as I want my 357sig to be. I think my aa7 load is usually 10.6 gn with the same bullets. Obviously you can push these loads up to much higher velocities.

Posts: 249 | Location: Westchester County NY | Registered: September 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just looked up some data for the fun of it.
Last time I chronoed some loads :

Speer lawman 125gn 357 sigs ran an avg of 1400fps out of my sig 320 FS
My AA7 loads of 10.6gn and MG 125gn fp averaged 1370fps out of same gun
My AA9 loads of 12.3gn and extreme 124gn plated averaged 1260fps out of same

And of course these are my own findings and ymmv. Data shown only for informational purposes
and not suggesting you duplicate.

Posts: 249 | Location: Westchester County NY | Registered: September 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a 100 each of these two jacketed bullets from RMR. Looking forward to giving them a try:

https://rmrbullets.com/shop/bu...-rmr/?v=7516fd43adaa

Posts: 19 | Registered: July 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Been using the .357 sig specific, MT Gold slug , over AAC #9 for 15 years or so. Has worked just fine.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vaalpens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mainer:
I just ordered a 100 each of these two jacketed bullets from RMR. Looking forward to giving them a try:

+1 On the RMR 124gr FMJ FN bullet. Very good price and accurate. My best 5 shot grouping with this bullet is .43" @ 15 yards from a rest out of my P229.

Posts: 53 | Registered: February 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Lee dies, Zero 115 grain JHP and AA#9. Accurate and fast but throws brass into the next county out of my p226.

Posts: 31 | Registered: March 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
extreme is a great bullet I use them in my 9mm.

Posts: 122 | Registered: October 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For full power loads, I go with Montana Gold's 125gr. I've also used eXtreme's 124gr FP but they don't seem to hold up well to full power loads (8.0gr BE-86) but fine with less than full power. For some noise and flash, I had good luck with 115gr Berry's FPs with Power Pistol.

IDPA FANatic

Posts: 11 | Registered: January 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I just ran out of Montana Gold and decided to use some of the 124gr Berry's plated HP I had laying around. Over 11g of AA#7, they were flying sideways at just over 10 feet, making perfect sideways-bullet holes. I guess I should have reduced the load a bit more. Red Face

I just ordered more Montana Gold rounds. I'll stick to plated for my 9mm subsonic loads. Big Grin

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've bought the Xtreme plated, Berry's Plated, and Montana Gold bullets.

In terms of seating correctly and delivering the best accuracy in the 357SIG round - Montana Gold works the best, Berry's second, Xtreme third.

Montana Gold reloads like factory spec at full power.

Berry's reloads well, but can be finicky sometimes with the powder it's used with.

The Xtreme can be used in a pinch, but their 9mm bullet ogive doesn't fit as well to the 357SIG brass as well, resulting in less accuracy than what most people expect from a 357SIG round.

Posts: 50 | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I've been using 124gr jhp from precision delta. Buy 2k for $89 SHIPPED per 1k.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just getting around to running some of my 357 Sig loads through the 226 over the chrony.

My 124 grain XTP loads with around 10.5 AA 7 did an average of 1360 fps.(Very close to BlueZee's data) I didn't get a chance to check the velocity from the the shorter 229.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post