SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What bullet for 357sig?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What bullet for 357sig? Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted
Xtreme is having their annual 15% off deal, and I realized I could use some 357sig bullets. I haven't yet started loading this cartridge, still need to shoot up the factory ammo to get brass. But, with bullets being on sale...

Does Xtreme have any bullets suitable for this cartridge? If so, which ones?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
The 124gr FP look fine. Very similar profile of the Berry's I use and the GD factory round. You just need something with a rather abrupt ogive in order to get a good grip. What brass you plan on using?

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I've become a big fan of the Montana Gold bullets for this caliber. Very good quality.

http://montanagoldbullet.com/i...57sig-125gr-fmj.html

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I like MG too, just not the price Smile

For all around shooting, I prefer Zero 125gn FPFMJ
updated with link

If you try Xtreme, you'll have to let us know how accuracy is, as I wonder how the plating holds up at that velocity

This message has been edited. Last edited by: C-Dubs,

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
That's another thing I'm worried about is the plating with such a high velocity round.

I plan to use Speer brass since I bought a case of Lawman FMJ and have been picking it up.

Given the volume that I shoot of this caliber (less than 1k per year, so far), I may just spring for the MG if that's what you guys have found works well. The only reason I was worried about Xtreme was because if we knew for sure they'd work, I'd order 5k during their sale and be set for a while.

What do you guys like for dies for this caliber? Dillon carbide? Something else?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Never had an issue with plated, but not running them all out either. Cant recall the speed offhand, but they were practice rounds and running about 80% IIRC.

Speer nickel brass has undersized flasholes so be forewarned.

What you running them out of?? A 320?

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Their lawman FMJ is brass, not nickel.

Yes, my 320.

I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
I've been using Precision Delta 124gr JHP for the last 4k rounds in my .357SIGS and have liked them well enough. I just ordered 1k of the 124gr FP from Xtreme and will give them a go. One of the reviews mentioned that they use it in .357SIG, so I figured what the hell! If they don't work well enough, I can load them in 9mm.

Oh, and if that doesn't sway you, add code Blue2016 for an extra 10% off... And free shipping if under $1500.

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I use the 125 grain 9 mm round nose etreme in all my .357 sig rounds better feeding no issues with set back. aa no 9 powder. dillon carbide dies no lube.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Their lawman FMJ is brass, not nickel.

The Lawman brass has small flash holes also. Order a few extra decapping rods. No problem on the second reload.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the 122g LFPs from Dardas:

http://www.dardascastbullets.c...rdas&Category_Code=9

My favorite load is over 7.5g of Power Pistol. They Chrono at 1315fps.

'down scope!

Posts: 627 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: December 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mossyoak1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I've become a big fan of the Montana Gold bullets for this caliber. Very good quality.

+1

“When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 471 | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mississippi Dave
posted Hide Post
Montana Gold 125 gr. JHP. Remember to check the neck of the powder funnel on a Dillon press. The neck needs to be at least .005" smaller than the diameter of the bullet you are loading.

Views and opinions I express are not those of my employer or any of their customers.

Posts: 3870 | Location: Central Mississippi | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Bump.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
I've been using Montana Gold 125 FP, and I'll use the 9mm 124gr HP in a pinch.
I just rolled up some 147gr Hornady XTP and I must say I'm "giddy". They seat really easy and look like they will work just fine at 1200 fps.

I'm a big fan of Accurate #7 powder in this cartridge.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Anything flat point / truncated cone will work. Go below 115gr & you can get a RN to work. I have used 124gr Ranier, Berrys, Sierra, Hornady, Precision coated. I have used 115gr same, as well as Nosler. I also shoot my own 124gr TC cast, but I am now coating those.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tango Sierra
posted Hide Post
Outside of casting your own, the best bang for the buck is the Black Moly coated bullet from Precision Bullets. I've used their 125gr for a minimum of 1032 fps and a max of 1312 fps. I'm currently using their 147gr for IDPA use at 870 fps. These are a lot less expensive than XTreme and I don't think I'd use a plated bullet for 1300 fps anyway.

Montana Gold has a great CMJ in 125gr. I load their JHP at 1416 fps. I use VV N350 with MG and get single digit standard deviation numbers anywhere between 1335 and 1416 fps with this combination out of a Springfield XD 4" barrel.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Rural North Central Illinois | Registered: November 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tango Sierra:
Outside of casting your own, the best bang for the buck is the Black Moly coated bullet from Precision Bullets. I've used their 125gr for a minimum of 1032 fps and a max of 1312 fps. I'm currently using their 147gr for IDPA use at 870 fps. These are a lot less expensive than XTreme and I don't think I'd use a plated bullet for 1300 fps anyway

Montana Gold has a great CMJ in 125gr. I load their JHP at 1416 fps. I use VV N350 with MG and get single digit standard deviation numbers anywhere between 1335 and 1416 fps with this combination out of a Springfield XD 4" barrel.

Agree on both counts.precision now has gen 2 coating. Not sure what makes it get 2 but seems tougher and doesn't rub off as readily. Also use the black bullet for 9mm loads.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tango Sierra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
What do you guys like for dies for this caliber? Dillon carbide? Something else?

Missed this question the first time around. I started out loading 357sig with Lee dies but never could get consistently reliable rounds with those dies. Switched to the Dillon carbide 357sig dies and have never had a bad cartridge with the Dillon dies.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Rural North Central Illinois | Registered: November 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto!

quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

Posts: 102 | Registered: June 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post