SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Dillon reloaders
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dillon reloaders Login/Join 
Banned
posted
I have a XL-650 set up for .45ACP, since that all I reload for. I know that the
Green,Yellow,Red and presses are out there. I just happen to like Blue. Not attempting to start a war on which press is better, since each press fits it owner.

Posts: 90 | Registered: December 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Is there a question in there somewhere? Razz

Welcome!

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of 550's set up for LG and small primers, saves time.

And a 1050 set up solely for 9mm.

I look back to all the time I once spent turning out pistol ammo on a single stage...What a waste of time.

It's nice recreation, I enjoyed doing it, but NOW my time is more precious...I like saving time.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I've wanted a Dillon(s)forever. Never have bought one. Wanted so bad to get the SL 900 for shotshells when I was shooting a lot of trap. Settled for the RCBS Grand. For about half the price. It did the job but probably not as good.

You will likely find no one on this board with much in the way of Dillon hate.

FN in MT. I have envy for your set up.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your decision. You will get many years of use out of the Dillon.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Yep, Dillon is the cat's ass.

Fantastic product.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first Dillon was suppose to be in yesterday, but FedEx didn't reach the store until after they closed. Mad Hopefully today.

I'm replacing an RCBS progressive that has given me 20+ years of service with an XL 650, with a case feeder. There is no option to add case or bullet feeders to my RCBS, and I'm loading more than ever now that the wife has gotten into shooting. Hoping the Dillon setup will mean less time spent at the reloading bench.

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
and I'm loading more than ever now that the wife has gotten into shootin

This brought a smile and fond memories.
This is why I bought a second Dillon 550.
That was one of the many thing we did together running the two press at the same time.
That ended with her being called home 21 years ago.Enjoy your press with your wife.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:

FN in MT. I have envy for your set up.

I'm small potatoes. Saw a post by a guy running a fully optioned 1050 for SEVERAL calibers! I think he had FIVE of them on a long bench!

I bought mine over 20+ years. And lucked out on finding the 1050 used, in great shape but needing parts/assembly , so the Estate sale sold it to me cheap. ONLY way I could afford it.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I have an old 450 that's been upgraded to the 550 frame so I can use the interchangeable tool heads, mounted along side an even older RCBS Reloader Special single-stage that I use for my match rifle ammo. All my pistol and AR range ammo is done on the Dillon. Changing primer size on the Dillon is kind of a PITA and I wish I had room on the bench to add another 550 so that I could dedicate one to each primer size, but alas I don't.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I have an old 450 that's been upgraded to the 550 frame so I can use the interchangeable tool heads, mounted along side an even older RCBS Reloader Special single-stage that I use for my match rifle ammo. All my pistol and AR range ammo is done on the Dillon. Changing primer size on the Dillon is kind of a PITA and I wish I had room on the bench to add another 550 so that I could dedicate one to each primer size, but alas I don't.

I'm glad I'm not the only one...I'm still loading on an RL 450 from the 80s...everything has been upgraded on mine except for the frame...I don't think you can wear them out Smile...

As for changing out the primer slide to another size...this is a YouTube link from jmorris that makes it a snap...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/0rCGV-JPYaE

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
Yep, the 550 is the easiest Dillon to swap primer sizes on. Infact, that’s why I have at least two of all the other Dillon progressives but just one 550.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmorris:
Yep, the 550 is the easiest Dillon to swap primer sizes on. Infact, that’s why I have at least two of all the other Dillon progressives but just one 550.

I have a 550 and have only reloaded calibers with small primers. I now want to start reloading .45 ACP. Do you also have to replace the primer tube in addition to the cup to use large primers?

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:
Originally posted by jmorris:

I have a 550 and have only reloaded calibers with small primers. I now want to start reloading .45 ACP. Do you also have to replace the primer tube in addition to the cup to use large primers?

Yes, the inner tube within the black one. But that's easy (as long as it's empty!). The trick has always been to get the slide lined up correctly with the shellplate and primer tube, but with the trick in Bisleyblackhawk's video you don't have to swap the whole slide - just the cup.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Purchased a 450 back in 1984! Upgraded everything except the frame since then, and used it for 9mm/40S+W/45ACP/45 Colt/41 Mag/357 Mag. Made a deal with the LGS on a pre-owned Square Deal B in 9mm last year and now I only have to change primer feeds for 40S+W and 357(on the 450). But I hate changing primer feeds, so just trying to decide on either another Square Deal for 45ACP, or a 550 to have one set up for each primer size. Decisions, Decisions!

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 367 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, I mention that part @ 1:15 in the video but didn’t show it. Not a lot to that part, back off the knurled nut on top and remove the tube and replace it with the other size.

You need to rotate it until it drops into position as the orifice tip is “keyed”.

I also screw the nut back on just to where it contacts the tube, not tight at all so there is no distortion on the tip. So loose that the only thing that would keep it from backing off is the low primer alarm.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have been loading 9 mm. I am thinking about .45 ACP, I have a question about that: small primer vs. large primer.

Clearly, it would be easier not to have to change primer size in the press -- 550B.

Is there any significant advantage to using large primer cases, or am I good with small primer? I do have access to a reasonable supply of cases for both sizes, so case availability for reloading is not really a factor.

This would be strictly for casual range use. I use store-bought ammunition for carry.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Dillon makes a good press. I did a little work for Mike Dillon quite a while ago. He was an interesting guy.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I have been loading 9 mm. I am thinking about .45 ACP, I have a question about that: small primer vs. large primer.

Clearly, it would be easier not to have to change primer size in the press -- 550B.

Is there any significant advantage to using large primer cases, or am I good with small primer? I do have access to a reasonable supply of cases for both sizes, so case availability for reloading is not really a factor.

I think you will be fine with small primer .45. I know of a number of people who use it so they can use the same primers for .45 as for 9mm, .38, and .40.
An even greater number of people will trade you small for large brass, so save all you get.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I load on a 550 & 650. I think the 650 is probably the best progressive going for the $$.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post