SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Looking for info about Labradar
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for info about Labradar Login/Join 
posted
So I am interested in buying a Labradar chronogragh, but have a few questions for those who actually own one.

First, as I understand in my research, the Labradar in the beginning would store all the shot info onboard or on a SD card and then you would download that to your computer and open the data in a spreadsheet. Is it as easy as that to read the data, or do you have to have some knowledge on parsing the data to make it easily readable?

Second, now that they have come out with an app to control the unit remotely and can easily read all the info right away on your phone or tablet I was wondering if you can print that info from the app itself or if you still need to download the data from the unit and open it up in a spreadsheet?

I am looking to see if it is fairly easy to print out the shot data to be able to keep it with my reloading data for visual reference. Does the app make it easy to print out graphed data or do you have to know your way around spreadsheet usage to make the graphs yourself. I am very weak in using a spreadsheet, but am willing to learn if it is worth it.

All my research online about this has not turned up anything helpful. I only find pics of screenshots of the app and vids of the app being used recording the shots, but no details about what you can do after everything is recorded. If anyone can share some pics of data printed out using the app or a spreadsheet so I can get a feel for what I would end up with, that would be awesome and much appreciated.

Thanks

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had one and sold it..... Way too finiky.

As far as the data transfer and manipulation, I was never able to do much with it. I tried multiple data cards and tried moving stuff to excel. All my efforts were fruitless.

Operationally, it is great when it works. There is nothing on the barrel or set up in front of the rifle. But it SUCKS up batteries or power packs like a $3 hooker on Sat nite.

Silencer cans are VERY difficult to trigger the unit. Multiple shooters can interfere with triggering.

All in all, it became a greater headache than useful tool. So it was sold off.

Currently, I find Magneto Speed does everything I need. I did run both the Labradar and the Magneto Speed side by side on the same round and found the differences were <10 fps.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
My gunsmith has one. I have used it three times when he was also at the range. Unless we were at the covered firing ports, it would not consistently pick up a round using a suppressor. Outside in the open, a can is very problematic.

It also would key on other shooters rds occasionally.

I never tried to do anything with the sd cards, simply noted my velocities, etc manually.

My ancient Oehler crono is flawless in comparison.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use mine for load testing quite a bit and have set up Excel spreadsheets to compile the data. As I recall, there is a bit of cut and paste involved to get it to look right.

As others have said, it can be finicky. Very convenient, but lacks the cold war look and reliability of an Oehler

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

I know some people have had issues with it detecting the shot going off or tracking the shot, but most of that usually tends to be an option in the settings not quite right or the unit not aimed properly or the muzzle to radar position not right for the circumstances, etc. It can be finicky with all the settings and options, and I understand that. It is a new tech for the consumer and there is a learning curve.

Thanks MNSIG for letting me know about having to cut and paste the data to have it look right in a spreadsheet. I have a Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph and the app for that makes it so easy to use and to print or export the data. I was hoping the Labradar was similar now that they have an app out for it, but it seems it may still be lacking in that area of offloading the data.

I may just hold off and wait and see if they improve the app to make it easier to deal with the data.

posted Hide Post
I'm very familiar with the use of the unit and the settings..... We tried using it for classes and instructors at K&M Precision Rifle.

It was unpredictable at best. Now we use Magneto Speed as it gives data every time.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used a Labradar unit twice. The first was indoors at a 100-yard zero confirmation and MV testing for a long range precision course. At that time I used a brake on my 6.5 Creedmoor. The Labradar unit performed flawlessly and it confirmed the MV from my Magnetospeed unit.

The second time was outdoors just before a precision match, with a new barrel on my 6.5CM, while using a TBAC suppressor. The Labradar correctly picked up only 2 shots out 30 or so. With the new barrel my MV was speeding up, going from roughly 2700 to 2800 fps by the end of the match. The Labradar's owner did just about everything possible with the unit to obtain good readings with the can on. But there were a lot of no readings, plus MVs from 500-ish fps to over 4,000 fps. For those of us who shoot suppressed, I find the Labradar virtually worthless.

Personally, I don't see a need for downloading data to a spreadsheet. All I'm concerned about is average MV and SD. Once I get 2 or 3 consistent group of 5 shot readings from my crono on different days, I'm good to go. I type the velocity data into a spreadsheet which maintains accuracy data and I'm done. MV then goes into JBM ballistics to calculate dope cards.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I love mine. I have had it since they began shipping in the US several years ago

t takes 1/10th the setup time of my Ohler or CED chronographs and unlike my Magnetospeed, the LabRadar works well with all handguns

For use with suppressors I change the trigger from the microphone to Doppler. Never had too much trouble chronographing suppressed pistols, even 22LR. However it runs batteries down much faster in this mode since the Radar is always active

With the latest release of firmware the LabRadar's built in Bluetooth is activated and almost everything can set up and controlled via a smartphone app

It really makes setup less confusing for the novice user

You will want to use an SD card instead of the unit's internal memory for the data. The SD just makes it easy to get to the computer

One of the cool things that LabRadar puts on the data card is a file for Each Shot. The file displays the projectil's velocity every time there is a radar pulse. I think that is every 13 microseconds.

If you are good at math, having the velocity at the start and end of the projectile flight allows you to compute the actual ballistic coefficient of the projectile you are using.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
Love mine. Learning how to aim it and how to position it so it would pick up shots had a learning curve. It does drain the internal battery. But like most, I use a cell phone battery backup that cost $20 so not a big issue.

I like the Magneto Speed as well. But it has a learning curve as well. And I don't like that it changes the POI when attached

Those would be my choices.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I have a question: Do you pronounce it "Lab RAYdar" like 2 words or "LABra-dar" like the retriever?
My brain keeps trying both ways and I want someone else to decide for me Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bruce - Your question was one that I also asked myself so I decided to go to You Tube to see if the company had any tutorial videos...Got lucky and found this one below....They will pronounce Labradar in the first 5 seconds of the video below...Mark

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mFfGp3CYAr8

Lab-Radar

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
Not as much fun as 3 posters with 4 opinions on pronounciation but that settles it Wink

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
There is at least one other active Labradar thread in Mason’s Rifle Room that has some good info in it. Answering your original questions sequentially:

Reading data from the SD card - This is very straightforward. Each string is presented very similarly to the summary screen on the unit with additional data. Mine is currently set to capture data at the muzzle, 10, 50, 75, 95 and 99 yards. Here is an example file:

Here is an example of screen data (not the same string as above):

Viewing data and printing from the app - The app does present the same information as the Labradar screen and does also graph individual shots. In all honesty, I don’t find that very useful. I much prefer playing with the numerical data. I like to create three axis charts where accuracy, velocity and charge weight are displayed graphically. I have never printed anything from my iPhone or iPad but it is easy enough to press the home button and power button simultaneously and create a picture from the image on the screen. Perhaps that would suffice to mail and print?

My opinion:

Some people have experienced missed shots or have picked up other shooter’s shots. Others have had problems picking up suppressed shots or shots from rifles with a brake. When more than 1 Labradar is around you might have to change the frequency of your unit. I moved mine off the as-delivered setting when I first got it and have never had that issue despite there always being several at my club on the rifle ranges.

I do fully understand the disappointment and frustration of missing a shot or two in a string when you really need the data. It has happened to me, but that is the exception with Labradar once set up correctly and you understand where the system should be placed relative to the muzzle, brake or suppressor. I read one poster in this string say that when shooting suppressed he triggers off doppler. I used to do that too but found it was not necessary and I got more consistent and better data using sound as the trigger.

The guys at Labradar, Tom Mousler in particular (sales@mylabradar.com), in my direct experience, are more than willing to help you out and have been very helpful to me. I have missed very few shots since working with them, implementing their advice and with the knowledge they shared with me, experimenting on my own. I have used that knowledge to help others set their Labradar up to be just as consistent as you might hope. I primarily use mine at an outdoor rifle range but have used it at indoor ranges, outside pistol ranges, open farmland and once in the back yard to test speed of an air rifle.

I don’t need anyone to purchase a Labradar to validate my choice but I do think it unfortunate that many people with very limited experience with the Labrador have such strong opinions about a device they really don’t know much about (my friend’s brother’s dad’s… kind of thing). It is not as simple as pulling it out of the box, turning it on and working perfectly with your setup without some experience with your particular configuration. We have grown quick to dismiss stuff these days. Example: What do you do with an app that doesn’t work the way you want? Delete it and move on.

Some negatives. If you use the internal batteries you will be disappointed as they don’t last long. About 3-5 range trips. I haven’t used batteries beyond the first two sets. I even tried Lithium batteries once. Subsequent firmware upgrades may have positively impacted this issue. I don’t know. The solution as posted above is a USB connected external battery pack. Mine lasts a dozen or more range trips w/o needing a charge and is able to charge my phone when needed. I am not a fan of the App. I don’t know what others are experiencing but no mater what I do, my App disconnects about 15 seconds after connecting and I have to press a button on the Labradar to make it reconnect. I really wish Labradar made a wired remote that allowed me to end a string and start a new one. As a prone shooter, crawling up to the unit is a real pain. If you are shooting from a bench that is less of a problem. The aiming notch is very imprecise. I hot glued a short length of straw into the aiming notch making aiming significantly easier. I have to re-glue the straw about once every two months.

As a data junkie, I appreciate what Labradar gives me. There was a learning curve to set the unit set up to be reliable, but worth it to me. I like it that I can use it to check pistol loads as well — you can do that with an optical system too. It is easy to pack to the range with the Labradar bag, battery and base. Takes about two minutes to assemble and aim it. If you are into long range shooting you likely have some expensive reloading equipment and an expensive rifle/optic combo or two…. I did think the Labradar was expensive but after 18+ months of ownership, I am very happy with the choice and would recommend it highly.

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you henryrifle for that very detailed response. That was exactly the kind of information that I was looking for and the picture of the spreadsheet helped very much. I may pick one up if they are still on sale.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Every time I see that thread title I think you are asking about "Labrador"--a place I had lived for a year back in the 1960s. I won't belabor you with my impressions of that location here, though.

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure a few people were asking themselves "Why is there a post asking about a dog in the reloading section?" as well. Smile