SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What height is your reloading bench?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What height is your reloading bench? Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted
I'm thinking of building a new bench. I have been using a reclaimed table that is sitting height. Do most prefer a standing height bench, or a shorter bench? I'm thinking of a standing height, but I do like to sit for extended work. Maybe a higher bench with a barstool?

[i]

Posts: 4651 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Standing. I have mine on a 36" countertop with a 6" Inline Fabrication riser. I like it to bet set up so that the bottom of the handle stroke is just a bit above arm's length so I don't need to lean.

Posts: 5748 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Sitting. My reloading bench is an old computer desk. No way I'm going to stand while reloading.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3094 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
Having done both, I greatly prefer standing.

Sitting benches are fraught with issues, like constantly smacking yourself in the knees with the handle of the press. Not to mention to have to frequently stand up/sit back down when you need to load more brass, or more primers, or get more bullets, or... Just easier to stay standing the whole time.

Take the money you would have invested in a chair and buy some good floor padding, your back will thank you.

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Posts: 15367 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sit while reloading, and have a "secretary chair" that can be raised or lowered to keep myself(my back) comfortable.

Posts: 3377 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Started standing 40/50 years back.
That sucked doing it after standing all day on my job.I built the following about 25 year ago
Garage is pretty full and space is at a premium.
I built two revolving round loading stands with height adjustment.
Those tables are full of mounted loading equipment.
I simply turn the press or whatever I am wanting to work with around to my confie swivel chair and lock table and the the job I have laid out

Posts: 20781 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Looks like it's running 50/50 in preference. I used to like sitting when I was doing a bunch of pistol. I only seem to load rifle nowadays, so I'm leaning towards a standing height.

[i]

Posts: 4651 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider this: Sit to reload if you work on your feet, Stand to reload if you work at a desk. Wink

Just a thought.

I stand to reload as I pound a keyboard for a living.

-TVz

Posts: 190 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
I built my benches at 34" top height, for sitting. This is my LNL-AP I use for high volume rounds. I added the Inline Fabrication Quick Change stand 9 3/4" + 1.5" riser at the base. Needed the riser to have the press at the right height while standing. I have an adjustable lab Chair that's goes high enough, I can sit too. So I got both worlds options to choose from. The negative of having the press that high is feeding the Brass feeder hopper, 14" from the ceiling. I keep a small step stool near by so I can reach it. My SS press on the other end of the press is setup for setting only. For doing a major change over I just remove the 2 wing nuts and take the press off the stand. I make holder for this to set it down for easier change over.

I started hand loading 40 years ago. I started out standing when loading shot shells, and setting for metallic loading. If your feet are tired from being on them all day, its sure nice to set down and take a load off your feet.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3379 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
Mine is setup for sitting, reloading with a typical chair height.

I have issue standing for long periods.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

The opinions posted by this user are his own. And do not represent the opinions of his employer or sponsors.

Posts: 20005 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
I prefer both depending on what I'm doing. My bench is 36" but I also have my presses on mounts.

Posts: 453 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For most of my life I have worked standing up and also preferred to load on my own two feet on a 33 in tall bench. Many rears ago I did a little loading in my stocking feet and immediately noticed that resulting small increase (relative) in the height of the machine (CH Mark V) made reloading easier. All of my machines were elevated to 40 in via home made "Strong Mounts" (Dillon hadn't introduced them at that time) and when the 1050 arrived, it went to 39 in. I find these elevated machines much more comfortable to use. The only draw back is that the mounts must be well built and the benches securely fasten to floor and wall to cope with the increased leverage of the taller mounts.

Posts: 120 | Registered: January 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I'm on my feet most of the day and sit while reloading. I use a Craftsman shop chair with the hydraulic lift and get a comfortable height that lets me look down into the case.

Posts: 1295 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Standing... but I have a drafting table height chair Big Grin Best of both worlds

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 10114 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
This is a hobby.

I sit.

Posts: 6794 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my bench is L 8 feet by 3 feet wide 37 inches height my press is on a mount,

Posts: 99 | Registered: October 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm starting to wonder how tall the "standing" people are. Wink

I load sitting down and my bench top height is kind of high, much higher than you'd have for a desk or regular table. But even with that, there's no way I could use the presses standing up.

Posts: 14039 | Location: A little box of pine on the 7:29 | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I'm starting to wonder how tall the "standing" people are. Wink

I load sitting down and my bench top height is kind of high, much higher than you'd have for a desk or regular table. But even with that, there's no way I could use the presses standing up.

I'm 6'. I built my bench to be the height I wanted it to be.

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Posts: 15367 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
6'2". Bench is 39" and my barstool is 26". I've found it's easier to stand when doing pistol rounds on the Dillon, but with rifle rounds on the RCBS, I really take my time with them so I prefer to sit.

BTW, don't buy the media with rouge. What a messy PITA. I thought that it'd be nice to really polish up some brass but I spent more time wiping off all of the rouge than it was worth. Lesson learned.

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy." Winston Churchill

Posts: 12048 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just roughed my in, and with a 42" bench and a Inline Fabrication 12" mount, the handle ball is just above shoulder height standing. It's just low enough to see into the 9mm cases, but it may be a touch too high overall. I don't have a case feeder yet but I may need to drop the bench 2-3" so I can reach it and see in to the cases better. I plan to load standing, but that may change.

Looking for an Alaskan Malamute? Look here: http://www.moonsongmals.org
Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !

Posts: 6363 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post