SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Bye bye Dillon.....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bye bye Dillon..... Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I can't afford or justify something like that at this point in my life...but that thing looks awesome! I love all the stations, and it looks well constructed. Please fill us in on how it performs once you start cranking some rounds out on it.

Posts: 8540 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZWNvBmBJJA

More proof that nerds make the world go round! I'll be more than happy to learn from these guys. I'm a simpleton. Smile

It's good to see these guys push the technology envelope.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Geaux Tigers
Picture of Alcapone396
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piedrarc:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Looks like all they did was reverse engineer a Dillon and add stations.

You could say that about any progressive press. Have you actually seen a Mark7 press or used one?

quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I had to Google it, too:

https://www.markvii-loading.com/

I threw up in my mouth when I saw the price. Dillon for me, until I win the lottery.

Dillon 1050 with a bullet feeder - $2,281.90
Mark 7 bullet feeder included - $2,499.95 which is what you see in my photos.

That made you throw up?
We aren't talking full automation here......

Look, I'm not saying for anyone to go throw away their Dillon. This is a new kid on the block, with some features I like... thats it.

Competition is good in more ways than one.

Their website shows 2749.00 for the Mark 7 it's impressive though!! Let us know how she runs when you're done testing it!

Al______________Capone396

P220 Combat, P220 Sport, P220EL, X-5 Comp 9mm , P226 BlackWater, P226 ST.357 Sig, P226ST 9mm, P229ST .40, P228, P232 SL, Glock 19, CZ75BSS, CZ-83, S&W 29, S&W 640, S&W 642, Ruger MKII, Ruger Charger,, HKP7,,Browning Hi Power, Colt Anaconda, S&W 460 Mag, RRA 9mm CAR, Robinson Arms XCR, FN-SLP ,Arsenal SAS-M7,, Built AR-15 with lots of goodies,,Etc, Etc, Etc.....

Posts: 1263 | Location: Down South in Bayou Country | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alcapone396:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Looks like all they did was reverse engineer a Dillon and add stations.

You could say that about any progressive press. Have you actually seen a Mark7 press or used one?

quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I had to Google it, too:

https://www.markvii-loading.com/

I threw up in my mouth when I saw the price. Dillon for me, until I win the lottery.

Dillon 1050 with a bullet feeder - $2,281.90
Mark 7 bullet feeder included - $2,499.95 which is what you see in my photos.

That made you throw up?
We aren't talking full automation here......

Look, I'm not saying for anyone to go throw away their Dillon. This is a new kid on the block, with some features I like... thats it.

Competition is good in more ways than one.

Their website shows 2749.00 for the Mark 7 it's impressive though!! Let us know how she runs when you're done testing it!

https://www.shootersconnection...Pre-Order-P5020.aspx

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
This new teckie stuff is getting out of hand,started out with a 550 for the outrageous sum of $198.00
Got more ammo than I got time to burn up in this life of all calibers.
Thinking about that , that is one of the reasons my shoulders are out of wack.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pinbot1966:
Nice setup, congratulations.

I have been contemplating getting a Mark7. Did you get the automatic primer feeding system?

As others have echoed, I would like to know your thoughts on the Mark7 after you have completed some rounds.

Thanks.

The automatic primer is not available yet on my machine, but as soon as it's released I'll get one. The price tag is steep for the auto primer at almost 1000 bucks.

I will go fully automated in about 2 years, but I would like to understand every aspect of the machine prior to going full auto.

Quality of this machine is by far the most impressive I've ever seen or had my hands on. Every part is CNC'd minus the pole that holds the case feeder.

I was alway skeptical of a bullet feeder, but it's running like a top (so far, ships with a Mr. bullet feeder). The videos and instructions Mark7 puts out to the owners are extremely well done.
I'll set the powder measure hopefully this weekend and produce my first 50-100 rounds. Everything else has been tweaked and ready to go, the 10 die stations adds a lot of versatility. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated. I'm extremely impressed at this point.

When I finally bought a Mr. Bullet Feeder, I kicked my own ass for waiting so long to do it. Shaves about 2 min per 100 for me on the 650.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
A favor, por favor...

How tall is the unit? I am somewhat space constrained vertically.. just wondering if it is something that I can squeeze into my work space.

Additionally, are caliber conversions available for the machines? if so, how big of an ordeal is it to switch calibers? I'm mainly a 40 S&W shooter, but shoot enough 9mm to keep me loading on a 650 vs buying a 1050. My volume certainly would justify a bigger press.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
A favor, por favor...

How tall is the unit? I am somewhat space constrained vertically.. just wondering if it is something that I can squeeze into my work space.

Additionally, are caliber conversions available for the machines? if so, how big of an ordeal is it to switch calibers? I'm mainly a 40 S&W shooter, but shoot enough 9mm to keep me loading on a 650 vs buying a 1050. My volume certainly would justify a bigger press.

38 inches tall.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
A favor, por favor...

38 inches tall.

thank you. Does it overhang the bench like a 650, or sit fully on the bench like a 1050?

Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
This new teckie stuff is getting out of hand,started out with a 550 for the outrageous sum of $198.00

Reloading is becoming less and less about saving money.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome machine.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavyd:
quote:

It’s still cheaper, but you have to be a high volume shooter to get to the break even point.

Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
A favor, por favor...

38 inches tall.

thank you. Does it overhang the bench like a 650, or sit fully on the bench like a 1050?

It doesn’t hang over, but you’ll need clearance on the down stroke for the handle.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
A favor, por favor...

38 inches tall.

It doesn’t hang over, but you’ll need clearance on the down stroke for the handle.

That’s like a 1050. Thanks for the info. I’ll be on the lookout for reviews from you early adopters...

Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavyd:
quote:

I think the shooter has to clearly know what they will be doing. If you are a range plinker once in a while of course this is not the route.

But lets break down my typical month between my training with my department / and competition shooting.

If I hit my minimum 4 matches a month (could be more, but I'll say 4 cause that is more realistic)- 1000 rounds.
Practice ammo for just my comp gun (Beretta 92A1) is 800-1000 per month. That doesn't include department training which typically provides a good chunk of the ammo, but I usually double that output while I'm conducting range master duties another 500 rounds.

I could typically burn from 2000-2500 a month especially if the stars align right.

So again, I was very happy with my 650. The reality is the time saved is worth it to me based on my output. Also, I'm lucky to save on brass by being able to recycle once fired, but thats not all the time. Primers, bullets and powder are my biggest expense, but I do purchase in bulk.

All things considered I'd have to disagree and say to me it's all about saving money and precious dry fire time.

As I get this machine dialed in, it looks like I'll be able to get about 1200 rounds an hour. So my reloading time will be a little over 2 hours for a typical month of shooting.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
So, I'm almost dialed in.....

Please understand that I'm basing all this off my trouble free 10 year old Dillon 650 versus this Mark7 Evolution.

Case feeder is Hornady and is subpar compared to the Dillon case feeder. My case feeder has a defective switch, one 9mm case is enough weight to get stuck during the feeding process and stop the machine. I have to smack it a few times to get the single case past the relay switch. It jams constantly and I mean in every aspect with about 50- 60 cases in the feeder.

Lee Dies - I'm not a fan, they are pretty inconsistent on this type of reloader. The seating die would progressively increase the depth. Also the resizing die would shave brass off, the amount was alarming to me. I would not advise Lee dies on this machine at all. I pre-ordered and the Lee dies were included with the press. They are not offered anymore with orders for free, but I've switched all but one to Redding and the consistency is 100% better. The only Lee die left is the crimp die, but that will be gone soon.

Once the case feeder issue is resolved, I should be able to crank them out.

The indexing is compared to the 650 is silky smooth, no issues with powder spilling over. I'm using 9 stations right now.
-case feeding
-De capping
-Swage
-prime/sizing
-expander/bell
-powder drop
-bullet drop from Mr. Bullet feeder
-seating
-crimp

I did have a minor issue with the powder measure. It began to stick and wasn't dropping powder, Mark7 technical support was able to walk me through a fix. One of the screws was too tight, all were loosened and reassembled with blue loctite.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

On my 650, I use the Redding dual carbide ring sizing/decapping die, and the Redding micrometer adjustable taper crimp die. The powder measure die, powder check die, and seater are Dillon.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Geaux Tigers
Picture of Alcapone396
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, I'm almost dialed in.....

Please understand that I'm basing all this off my trouble free 10 year old Dillon 650 versus this Mark7 Evolution.

Case feeder is Hornady and is subpar compared to the Dillon case feeder. My case feeder has a defective switch, one 9mm case is enough weight to get stuck during the feeding process and stop the machine. I have to smack it a few times to get the single case past the relay switch. It jams constantly and I mean in every aspect with about 50- 60 cases in the feeder.

Lee Dies - I'm not a fan, they are pretty inconsistent on this type of reloader. The seating die would progressively increase the depth. Also the resizing die would shave brass off, the amount was alarming to me. I would not advise Lee dies on this machine at all. I pre-ordered and the Lee dies were included with the press. They are not offered anymore with orders for free, but I've switched all but one to Redding and the consistency is 100% better. The only Lee die left is the crimp die, but that will be gone soon.

Once the case feeder issue is resolved, I should be able to crank them out.

The indexing is compared to the 650 is silky smooth, no issues with powder spilling over. I'm using 9 stations right now.
-case feeding
-De capping
-Swage
-prime/sizing
-expander/bell
-powder drop
-bullet drop from Mr. Bullet feeder
-seating
-crimp

I did have a minor issue with the powder measure. It began to stick and wasn't dropping powder, Mark7 technical support was able to walk me through a fix. One of the screws was too tight, all were loosened and reassembled with blue loctite.

Why on earth would they use a Hornady case feeder on this very nice machine?? Can you adapt a Dillon case feeder to the loader and do away with the Hornady??? I have zero problems with my 650 feeding various caliber cases..Might be worth looking into...

Al______________Capone396

P220 Combat, P220 Sport, P220EL, X-5 Comp 9mm , P226 BlackWater, P226 ST.357 Sig, P226ST 9mm, P229ST .40, P228, P232 SL, Glock 19, CZ75BSS, CZ-83, S&W 29, S&W 640, S&W 642, Ruger MKII, Ruger Charger,, HKP7,,Browning Hi Power, Colt Anaconda, S&W 460 Mag, RRA 9mm CAR, Robinson Arms XCR, FN-SLP ,Arsenal SAS-M7,, Built AR-15 with lots of goodies,,Etc, Etc, Etc.....

Posts: 1263 | Location: Down South in Bayou Country | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alcapone396:

Why on earth would they use a Hornady case feeder on this very nice machine?? Can you adapt a Dillon case feeder to the loader and do away with the Hornady??? I have zero problems with my 650 feeding various caliber cases..Might be worth looking into...

I have no idea, but man...... I'm quite disappointed in it. Especially seeing all the issues with this case feeder. I actually sold my dillon case feeder with my 650 as a package.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

posted Hide Post
Wow...that is nice. I guess if I stop eating my lunches for the next year, I could probably afford it.

Posts: 473 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post