SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What is this bullet likely?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is this bullet likely? Login/Join 
posted
Former client who shot high power in a Detroit gave me a bunch of handloads for .308 w the bag marked 168 gr Sierra HPBT.

The bullet is silver in color and not magnetic.

I have only shot factory match ammo before and am wondering what this bullet is made of? Is it likely a non-moly bullet?

Trying to decide if it is good to shoot in my new Sig SSG 3000 during break in.

I am going to shoot Fed Gold Medal Berger 175 in matches and have 2 cases of it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QhsE8mKdMpk8SPFQ6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dEkWTfx2zW7747GY6

Posts: 2560 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m generally in the camp of not shooting some else’s reloads. Unless you know & trust them completely. And if I didn’t know what the components were... I’d be leery.

I realize this is a bit overkill caution. But, it’s a safety concern.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, yes, I understand. This reloader was a former client.

The moly issue is deciding the question for me. A reloader who heads our 1000 yard shoots says it probably molly which makes sense as I remember my former client mentioning some were do that answers it as I am only going to shoot nonmoly in my new rifle. Read this too which raises concern:

https://www.snipercountry.com/moly-coated-bullets/

Posts: 2560 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
it’s a safety concern

As El Cid said. I'd use other ammo to be on the safe side!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To answer the direct question... moly deposition in a barrel is a royal pain the ass to deal with. Never did quite understand the trade off of a few fps increase in speed vs the extra time in coating the bullets. And the lot of extra time in cleaning the barrel afterwards.

Based on that alone... I'd not fire the bullets.

I would not fire the bullets unless you trusted your friend with your hand, arm, eye, or face with a live stick of dynamite. Out of 8-10 "friends" that I know reload, there's only one that I'd use a bullet that he reloaded.

Just not worth it. Way too many variables and measurables that could have detrimental effect.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Moly is a pain in the butt. I'd pull the bullets and dump the powder and re-use the cases.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Moly is a pain in the butt. I'd pull the bullets and dump the powder and re-use the cases.

This. The only reloads I shoot are my own.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15555 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All very good points. I sold the .308 and .223 moly with full disclosure rather than deal with moly!