SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Reloads not feeding
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloads not feeding Login/Join 
posted
I’ve reloaded some 45acp with Rainier 200 gr. HP’s out to 1.225”
Maybe 1 out of 10 are stopping just before hitting the barrel ramp. I’m wondering if my OAL is a little long. Anyone else had any experience/problems with these?

Posts: 904 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Seems short to me,but I don't load those or 185's
for that reason.That and less bearing surface in the barrel.
Never could get them to stabilize in several different 1911's.
Other possibilities are feed ramp,mag, short comings and worn out main spring.
Thats the fun with a 1911 Wink

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've only ever loaded 230gr RN, and my OAL has been 1.250" for years.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I would try shorter OAL. Just make sure you drop powder charge a bit if these are max. If midrange, no big deal shortening 0.050" or so.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I load a "ton" of plated 185gr FP bullets @ 1.175in, and they feed for me in my 1911s.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I called Rainier today and the gentleman told me that I am loading them too long. 1.185” to 1.200” should allow them to feed.

Posts: 904 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Raniers reply makes sense to me. 1.225” does seem long for that bullet.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In general, if the COL is too long, the round can jam against the feed ramp and, if too short, can jam up against the top of the barrel or barrel hood.
You should always make one or two inert dummy rounds and check feeding and chambering at different COLs until they easily chamber and feed before you ever start to load.
depending on the bullet profile, 200gn JHPs are loaded at COLs of 1.155-1.245". There is no ONE COL that is best, except for a particular bullet/gun combination.

Posts: 161 | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Make sure you have suficant crimp/case tension.

The reason I stopped using platted bullets was because of undersized bullets causing malfunctions... due to the bullet seating itself deeper when hitting the feed ramp, sucking up enough "oomph" to cause a stoppage.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Wow, some of you guys are loading some short OALs. I use mostly 185s at 1.25" and have no problems at all.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
I avoid problems like this by feeding my 1911 style pistols with mags that will feed empty cases. At that point it’s much less likely that minor changes in OAL will make the pistol choke.

Like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_W2LyTQVrs

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post