SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Powder longevity
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder longevity Login/Join 
Picture of Cor
posted
I have a few containers of titegroup. Been sitting on the work bench for more than a decade. Still good?

"Posterity! You will never know, how much it cost the present Generation, to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make a good Use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."--John Adams 26 April 1777

Posts: 785 | Location: Lehi, Utah, USA | Registered: August 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have powder that is over 50 years old that I'm still shooting. I have surplus ammo that is 80 years old that still shoots.

Provided the powder is stored in a coolish place out of direct sunlight, it will last a long time. If you open it up and it smells funny, or has a brownish/orange color, then you should throw it out. If it looks good, just use it. I'm still using powder that was sold in cardboard kegs.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Stored correctly, it will last a LONG time. I have some 20-25 years old powders that work perfectly. I had purchased a bunch of powder when I was big into trap shooting and pheasant hunting. But I moved and dropped out of those sports. So it sat for years before I got more into handgun reloading. So now I'm working my way through the powders as I'm shooting a lot of 9mm every week. No issues with it at all.

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
So long as the container was sealed, there should be no issues for that period of time at temperatures a human being can stand.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, I have a 4# of RedDot, probably from 1993? Still shoots fine. It's all about how you store your primers & powder; cool & dry.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Modern powders have stabilizers in them to help reduce the effects of heat and oxygen. Just don't go to extremes with your storage. :-)

Posts: 327 | Location: Frankfort, Kentucky.  | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put a small amount on a white sheet of paper to see if it has yellowed or browned. Still using a canister from 95.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I have several pounds of 2400, Unique, 3031 and others. Most from the mid 70's. I use some of it from time to time with no issues.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An interesting discussion on powder longevity here:
https://thefiringline.com/foru...thread.php?p=5860901
Note the chart on the effects of temperature.

Posts: 112 | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mossyoak1
posted Hide Post
I had some green dot in the original metal container which I loaded and shot a while back, the only difference that I noticed was the sound, it didn't have that big bang like the new can did. But I got it from my father and who knows how he stored it back in the day.

“When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 471 | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I'm feeling bad. My Bullseye supply is in a cardboard barrel. Best I can figure, maybe early 1970s. I've got #s of newer, but why toss out my antique powder?

As for how long it lasts, everyone says what are the storage conditions. All the stuff stored in brass cylinders with lead stoppers still works fine.

I spent my youth shooting German 8mm ammo that was really cheap. The shop owners all knew us on sight. One in a near city just gave us all he had left. Said we were the only customers that even showed interest in it. Again, stored in brass containers with copper plated stoppers. Those had date stamps on the base. WWI or WWII I wonder if those dirty ole germans knew something we didn't?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have cans of WW231, Unique and various IMRs that are thirty plus years old and loaded ammunition older than my self which is 78 years. It all works great.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am still loading H4831 surplus powder from WWII. I've got a lot of money in it at fifty cents a pound delivered. Ah the good old days! It's probably 75 or more years old.

Posts: 1496 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post