SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Quality the same for plated? Berrys, Rainier and Xtreme
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality the same for plated? Berrys, Rainier and Xtreme Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I have these three brands of plated bullets locally. Is the quality about the same for all of them?

Berrys, Rainier and Xtreme

Just ordinary 9mm loads

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found them to be equally substitutable for generic target loads. Just my $0.02.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If memory serves(always a question) Xtreme bullets have a heavier plating than the others, except for Berry's double plated bullets. I have used them all, and only purchase Xtreme bulles these days.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the Rainier bullets but I would stay away from them now and not develop a load for them.

They closed up shop about a month ago so the bullets will dry up and not be available before long.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I've found some issues with the Berry's. Mostly, the 45s are .452 instead of .451 from Rainier. I'm gonna miss the Rainier, but am now looking for a good substitute!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy jacketed in bulk from Precision Delta and forget the plated bullets. Same price in bulk as plated, or very close.
I find jacketed and cast always beat plated for accuracy (except for some "premiere plated" bullets like Gold Dots).

Posts: 161 | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used all 3 subject bullets in 9mm plated and never found any difference in them as far as loading them or the accuracy of the rounds. All work well.

The PD FMJ's that noylj mentions are a great deal when you buy them at 2000 quantities. But RMR beats them a little on the prices. I'm going to try some RMR's next.
https://www.rmrbullets.com/

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Just checked Precision Delta for 230 grain FMJs.

$24.75 per 100.

That's $247.50 for 1000 bullets.

Ooh, but you get free shipping. Roll Eyes

I can buy a case of 1000 rounds of loaded ammunition for $275 delivered all day long.

RMR is in the same range.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:

$24.75 per 100.

I can buy a case of 1000 rounds of loaded ammunition for $275 delivered all day long.

Did you even click on the 1000 or 2000 options on their website?

If you did you would have seen that you can get 1000 230 gr FMJ's for $144. That's $0.144 ea.

2000 is $248 for the same bullet. That's $0.124 ea.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
better for .45 Auto is to order lead bullets. Precision Delta has very accurate swaged 200gn L-SWC lead bullets with BHN of about 13 for $198 for 2000. You can order cast from other sources for even less.
Don't know the last time I fired a jacketed bullet in any .45.

Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you even click on the 1000 or 2000 options on their website?

Nope.

Went to the site, selected 45, 230 grain, that's what they showed me.

I purchased my bullets for reloading exclusively from them other than coated bullets I purchased locally. Great prices, quality and shipping, but it's been several years. I just assumed something went crazy with component pricing. Last time I bought 1000 230 grain jacketed it was about $120?

Nothing should have a customer show up on a website and get routed to that sort of idiocy.

I'd do screen shots, but I don't care. I know what they had on their website - and RMR wasn't any better.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago I loaded some Rainiers which were not very good and I never went back.
I like Berry's, but Xtreme can be had cheaper if you watch for their frequent sales.

I am now using a lot of coated bullets, especially in .45; the Gallant 200 gr roundnose is working well in guns not set up for semiwadcutters.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I think Extreme is the better of those 3.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Picture of Buster30290
posted Hide Post
I've used Xtreme and Berry's but not Ranier. I found that Xtreme is just a bit better than Berry's in terms of consistency in weight and diameter but not enough to get excited about for my purposes. My reloading is not for extreme accuracy :-) I've heard that Xtreme's standard plating is a bit heavier and, if true, that's a good thing. I've had a couple of cases where Xtreme took longer than I like with getting an order out.

FWIW, I recently found Bullet Works to produce equivalent quality with a little bit better pricing and much more dependable shipping.

Buster - "THE SENILITY PRAYER
God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway; the good fortune to run into the ones I do; and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until .......

Posts: 3646 | Location: Nawth Jawja | Registered: February 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Thought xtreme was bankrupt. Did they reorganize?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3182 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:

$24.75 per 100.

https://www.precisiondelta.com...ts/45-cal-230gr-fmj/

It's $248 shipped for 2,000

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Picture of Buster30290
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Thought xtreme was bankrupt. Did they reorganize?

I believe you're thinking of Ranier.

Buster - "THE SENILITY PRAYER
God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway; the good fortune to run into the ones I do; and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until .......

Posts: 3646 | Location: Nawth Jawja | Registered: February 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plated are less expensive than jacketed, but don't expect the same level of accuracy.

Frankly, if you're doing plated, you'd be better with coated lead. It doesn't leave deposits for the most part and can be quite accurate. Unless you're concerned about particularly hot loads and coating (heavy Tightgroup loads, for example), coated rounds offer a lot of advantages, cost among them, and they're typically more accurate than plated. Also tend to be a bit more consistent.

Best accuracy comes with jacketed hollow points, but otherwise flat point, and jacketed if cost isn't the issue, coated if it is. Plated is a bit of a mixed-bag compromise.

Yes, it was Ranier that closed. I've still got a few boxes of theirs that I'm working through, plus a few thousand South African plated 124 gn. that were a really good deal. Getting set to order more bulk blue bullets, bayou, and some acme.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Xtreme declared bankruptcy and "reorganized."
Still selling bullets but with fewer sales or discounts.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Umm, PD .45 230gn FMJ bullets are $248/2000.
Just thought you would like to know.
Though why anyone would waste money of plated or jacketed bullets for .45 Auto is beyond me.
Look at PD swaged lead .45 bullets or Precision Bullets' swaged and coated 45 bullets