SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Trouble With 9mm reloads
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trouble With 9mm reloads Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
I have been shooting factory 9 because it was relatively cheap. I found a box of reloads that I put together 9 years ago. It is a 115gr fmj over 4.5 grains of 231.

I was firing these in my RIA this morning and some were not ejecting, but were stuck in the chamber. They were crimped with a Lyman taper crimp die and stored in the house. I have not tried them in any other pistols.

Any ideas as to the problem?

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe a tight chamber in the pistol or the brass is not sized correctly. Drop them into a 9mm case gauge and see if they stick or drop in without issue.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
The pistol has been flawless for the past couple of years with a variety of factory ammo including aluminum.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
The Hodgdon site shows 4.7 to 5.1 grains of 231 with a 115 grn FMJ bullet. Could your powder charge be low? How is the ejection distance, compared to other rounds?

I’d want to check other data sources to compare. It’s not uncommon to have ejection issues at the lowest charge weights.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
By stuck, did the slide move after the shot? Did they come out when you cycled the slide?

A quick glance around and I think you may just have a little bit too light of a load. Depending on COL.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
The cases did not eject and I had to use a squib rod and hammer to get them out. The rounds did not seem to be light. There was a normal report and recoil. The OAL is 1.140.

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Went back this morning with my 229. All of the reloads worked just fine. The RIA chamber might be a little rough.