SIGforum
Talk to me about Dillons, 550 vs 650, specifically

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/5600082954

July 27, 2019, 03:55 PM
Riley
Talk to me about Dillons, 550 vs 650, specifically
^ very nice. I’ve resisted a bullet feeder so far but I don’t think I can hold off for much longer. It’s definitely the slower part of the process.

I’ve not used anything but Dillon but for the ease of use and customer support, I think it’s the way to go.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.
July 27, 2019, 04:00 PM
cas
The 650 is only worth getting if you plan on getting the case feeder also.
The one extra station is nice, but not worth the extra money and hassle, and lack of ergonomics in feeding the brass by hand.

If not and no plans to get one, buy the 550.

July 27, 2019, 10:40 PM
Oat_Action_Man
Quick derpy question re: the 650...

Your powder die sets the amount of powder charge? So if I have a setup tool head with its own powder die, I can move the powder measure from one tool head to another and won't need to jigger it too much to get it to throw a different powder charge than on another tool head? Yes/no?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.
July 27, 2019, 11:08 PM
XLT
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

Your powder die sets the amount of powder charge? So if I have a setup tool head with its own powder die, I can move the powder measure from one tool head to another and won't need to jigger it too much to get it to throw a different powder charge than on another tool head? Yes/no?

powder die doesn't determine how much powder comes out, it flares the neck of the case, the little hex head bolt on the measure determines how much is dropped, easy to adjust. loosen two Allen head screws and pull clamp back slightly and you can pull the powder measure off takes less then a minute.
July 28, 2019, 07:59 AM
El Cid 92
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

The powder die is responsible for flaring the neck of the case and delivery of a powder charge.

The volume/quantity of powder that is delivered is determined by the powder throw bar that is above the powder charge die. The powder hopper and charge bar are a unit that is transferable to another powder die on another tool head.

A great product to have Uniquetek Charge Micrometer. If you are using multiple powders/charges across different loads.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.
July 28, 2019, 10:32 AM
Oat_Action_Man
Thanks for that link. Looks like a handy gadget, especially with the predicted weight curves sheet they provide. The hopper emptying bar is also a real convenience.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.
July 29, 2019, 06:18 PM
9mmnut
I have used the Lee Loadmaster. My only problem was the primer feeder. I know some guys can make it work I never had good results. The case loader works great and it inexpensive. If I primed cases by hand I would still be using the Lee. Their powder measure work just fine. Change overs is quick and easy with the turret.
Am now using Hornady LnL. Primer feed is now working great since I started using the primer rod. Was have trouble with powder charge due to lighter charges and the type of powder I was using. I switched from the Hornady measure to the Lee. I also use a RCBS powder check. I made my own case feeder using some Hornady parts and some Lee parts. It works for a heck of a lot less money than Hornady case feeder. I would never pay that much for a case feeder. Use mostly Lee dies. With the inserts change overs are quick and easy. Changing powder dies requires removing the powder thru die and insert and installing the other die and insert. Hornady stands behind their products. Just received three parts at no cost.
I am sure the Dillon is a good setup and they also stand behind their press.
For the difference in cost I will take the Hornady. I probably have less than half invested in my Hornady than if I went Dillon.