SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Tumbling with SS media
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tumbling with SS media Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
Anyone try using stainless steel media in standard type brass tumblers? I like peoples results with it but with my small time reloading operation, I'd have a difficult time shelling out the cheddar for one of those cement mixer brass cleaners.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15546 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I have not tried this, but I think it's probable that the pins or chips are going to remain on the bottom in a vibratory unit. I saved some beans and got the FA wet tumbler. I have NOT used the steel pins, just did not like what I saw on a friends rifle brass. Very shiny clean but case mouths are a bit dinged and a few pins stuck inside. I'm happy w/o the pins. The chips reportedly do a better job on all counts.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also do not think the pins would circulate enough to go any good. I also wet tumble without the pins brass still comes out nice and clean and no huge hassle with the pins.

Posts: 196 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I wet tumble with as pins and use a thumblers tumbler....squirt of dawn,1/2 tsp lei shine and gtg.

Sometimes I lay em on a cookie sheet and bake them at 150 for an hour to dry them or if it’s sunny I lay them outside.

They will tarnish if not stored in an airtight container

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in the process right now of cleaning 25 gallons of various brass. Most of it is 9mm (about 20 gallons) and I am using a Harbor Freight concrete mixer running about 2500 rounds every 90 minutes using 2.5 gallons of water, 15lbs of SS pins, Lemi-shine, Turtle Wax Car Wash, and Simple Green...Brass comes out super clean and the car wash leaves a slick coating on the brass that keeps the brass from being “to clean” and sticking to the dies when reloading...

I Will record a short video and will try to post it this weekend...Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Have a look at STM's Rebel 17. I have two and they work pretty darn good. Follow their website instructions and your brass will be shiny new.

https://stainlesstumblingmedia...mblers-rebel-17.html

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could not figure out how to post a video since Postimages does not allow videos so here are a couple of photos of this morning FIRST batch I just started. I will add pictures of the processes I follow as I manage through today’s batches.....Mark. ———

3 gallon bucket ($4.00) with holes drilled in the bottom and a 5 gallon paint screen filter from Lowes (3 pack for $5.00) is your best friend when you use SS pins for cleaning and sorting...Paint screen filter goes into the bucket then you pour the brass, water, and pins into the bucket with the screen...At this point I RINSE and RINSE again my brass and pins that are in the bucket with the screen because it allows all that dirty water and soap to flush out thru the screen and bottom of the bucket....The paint screen will usually last about 20 of these cycles before it starts to develop small holes in its material...When it does I throw it away and grab another one...

Then I scoop the brass and pins out of the bucket with the paint filter with a plastic bowl and load them into a media separator (I use the Dillon unit and I bought an extra unit and it to top so pins do not fly everywhere when the spinning starts....

Then the pins get picked up and back into the mixer for the next batch....

Brass goes into the bucket and then to the drying board for 12-24 hrs and then into the George Forman for 20 min at 200F to insure all moisture is gone....

And you will notice my other two best friends sitting beside my drying board - My Frankfort Arsenal SS pin magnet and my extendable magnet used for picking up those pins that you find lying around - and you will....Mark

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarmsp226,

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Rebel 17 is a GREAT product and as long as you do not over load it (ask me how I know after breaking a belt) it works wonderful on cleaning brass with SS pins....

Another option if you do not mind running smaller batches...$58.00 before you use the Harbor Freight 20% discount coupon on one item which would bring the price down to about $46.00 before taxes.....I have this set up and use it when running small batches of rifle brass for deer hunting....

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Thanks all- I figured the SS media would be too heavy to do any good but thought I'd ask here first. I'm looking at the Harbor Freight tumbler as the price is right and seems to have good reviews.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15546 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are going with the Harbor Freight tumbler, grab a few of the drive belts. Getting started and having your drums stop is very disappointing.
I also picked up a small rectangular dish washing pan with a strainer insert to rinse the brass and pins, it works great for separating brass and pins.

Posts: 37 | Location: Las Vegas Nevada US of A | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I wet tumble with as pins and use a thumblers tumbler....squirt of dawn,1/2 tsp lei shine and gtg.

Sometimes I lay em on a cookie sheet and bake them at 150 for an hour to dry them or if it’s sunny I lay them outside.

They will tarnish if not stored in an airtight container

I replaced the Dawn with Armor All Wash and Wax. No tarnishing issues. I also bought a cheap dehydrator from Amazon to dry my brass. Works very well.

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing Erick did and recently replaced using Dawn with the Turtle Wax Car Wash and all of my tarnishing and color variation in my brass also went away....Mark

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Drying them is important if you don't want spots.
I bought a dehydrator from Bed Bath Beyond.
Works great - no spots.

Posts: 22887 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post