SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Does anyone shooting SWC bullets through their 220?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone shooting SWC bullets through their 220? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
I've loaded some LSWCs for my 220 in the past, but they were never 100% for feeding.

What OAL do you load to for the 220?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'm shooting 1.185, sized to .452, and powder coated. It's my favorite round for my 220.

Posts: 1276 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I’ve only tried the stubby Lee 200 SWC in mine and they aren’t reliable for me. Actually not many RN loads are reliable either.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Way back when I had a 220 I shot some LSWC in it. I had to seat them a tad deeper than I do for a 1911 to get them to fit in the magazine. Feeding was fine once I did that. I seat 1911 SWCs to 1.25, so the ones for the 220 were likely in the same range as hairy2dawg's.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
I have used at least three brands of 200grn LSWC in my P220, but it has been a while and my notes only show Bear, T&B, and an unknown brand.
OAL shown was 1.125 for the Bears and 1.1258 for the unknown brand. The T&B's were not recorded.

I do not recall any feeding issues with any of the LSWC's.

I have only used W231 (5.5grn was most accurate) and AA452 (which I am nearly out of and plan to substitute WST for). The AA452 loads were most accurate in the 4.9 to 5grn range and consistently outshot the W231 loads.

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot lots of them. IIRC I would load them as long as possible (that I was still be able to load a full magazine with).

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a P220 (factory nickle) for years that's absolutely reliable with H&G #68, 200 gr LSWC's. Their equivalent is available from Missouri Bullet Co...same weight and with a long enough nose to ensure good feeding. The original H&G #68 was designed for accuracy and good feeding through stock 1911's by emulating the 230 gr FMJ hard ball round. It works equally well in my 220.

Good loads in my guns are set up with just a finger nail thickness of lead, of body dia. shank showing. I like 231 or Bullseye for loads set up for a 750-800 fps muzzle velocity. I've not found it necessary to seat the bullet any deeper than what I use with my 1911's. YMMv, however. With 231, 5.0 to 5.2 grains works well and gives sub-2" groups at 25 yds on good days. It's my go-to load for all my .45's for practice and target work.

The little bit of lead showing at the case mouth, keeps the case mouth from hanging up on the feed ramp. I crimp only enough to straighten out the flaring necessary to seat lead bullets. The load OAL is determined by the bullet nose to get that little bit of full dia. lead showing. I've found that a prescription for good loads in the following guns: a Sig 220, 2 Ruger 1911's, 4 Colt 1911's, a Rem-Rand 1911A1, and a Sig 1911 RCS).

HTH's Rod

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rodfac,

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 726 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
All very good info. Thanks, folks!

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Highspeedlane
posted Hide Post
I've also shot a bunch of lead SWC through my carbon folded slide P220 and it never fails to feed them. I don't load to a specific OAL but rather like others mention, leave about 1/32" of the bore diameter bearing surface outside the case mouth.

Posts: 292 | Location: Kingston, MA | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I no longer have my 220, but I use to shoot only semi wad cutters through it. I never had any problems.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post