SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    40 S&W loads for USPSA in a CZ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

40 S&W loads for USPSA in a CZ? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I'm interested in gathering some stuff to try for 40 S&W loads out of my new CZ Tactical Sport.

I'm thinking I want to try both 180 and 200 grain, most likely a Blue Bullet coated lead bullet or maybe a Berry's plated.

Any favorites that are easy to work with? I currently only have CFE-P powder and really like it for the 9mm and I think it will be good in the 40, but I'm willing to try something else. The CFE-P loads for 40 provide closer to a 180pf so it may not be the best for my uses. I need 170 to be sure I meet the 165pf minimum.

I am quite happy that the 9 and 40 both use small pistol primers though! It wasn't a major consideration but nice all the same not to have to switch that part out on the 650.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
I still use the same load for my Para but my son shot this out of his TS for over a year with no issues.
200gr blue bullets 3.6 or 3.7gr of tight group @ 1.130 coal.
Getting 825 and 843fps.
Passes the plunk test in both barrels.

Posts: 798 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
I use Vihtavuori N320 and 180gr Blues Bullets in mine with great success.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
I am quite happy that the 9 and 40 both use small pistol primers though! It wasn't a major consideration but nice all the same not to have to switch that part out on the 650.

When/if you have the need to use large primers, Dillon makes it easy (if expensive) to change primer sizes in 5 minutes. You can buy the complete primer system, so two machine screws is all you have to remove to switch from small to large and back again.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'll be buying the full quick change kit with new tool head etc so I can leave my dies alone. Expensive, but I think more repeatable and less adjustment.

When I get to large primer stuff, I'll buy the full system to convert.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
That Vihtavuori N320 is very popular but surprisingly expensive compared to a lot of other powders. Per round it's not that big of a difference though.

I'm curious to see if this CZ has the same short throat like the Shadow 2s I have do.

I've been looking at Sport Pistol loads as well as it's supposed to be good for coated bullets.

Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Wrong powder unless you need 40 major+. You can do better with medium burners like Unique or WSF. If shooting minor, then faster powders with 180gr bullets will be very soft shooting. Think WST, W231, VV320, Ramshot Comp.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’m looking to load to major PF with a margin, so I’d like stay around 170-172. A 180gr at 950-1000. The CFE-P that I have would put me at closer to 180+ PF even at starting charge.

The WSF powder looks good as well.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
The WSF powder looks good as well.

I used WSF for over a decade for .45. I prefer the "heavy and slow" loads, vs. "light and fast". WSF is perfect for this. My .45 230gr FMJ loads were about 172pf, nice soft shooting at medium pressure. I've now retired from .45 in favor of 10mm. Again, WSF with a 200gr FMJ bullet yields 175pf, also soft shooting with medium pressure, especially in the SIG P220-10mm.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
WSF is a good choice. I have also used a bunch of HS-6 in .40 and 9mm. A couple of my fellow USPSA Limited friends use and like Longshot.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I was going to ask if WSF would be good for 40 and 10mm as 10 was going to be my next caliber to load.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was going to ask if WSF would be good for 40 and 10mm as 10 was going to be my next caliber to load.

I mis-spoke in my earlier reply. I use WST for .45 and 10mm. WSF for 9mm. WST works very well for the "heavy and slow" loads in the bigger calibers.

When in doubt, mumble

Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of 40S&W loads on Enos Forum.

https://forums.brianenos.com/forum/73-10mm40-caliber/

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I'll try the CFP-P first but I think it may be more oomph than I need. It looks like the next powder order will contain some WSF.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Bump.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
The CFE-P was too much for what I was going for, even at minimum charge. Averaging around 1040 and a PF of 187 or so. MagTech 180gr flat points were the same. Chrono at 15' and about 58*.

I bought some Sport Pistol by Alliant, not to be confused with Power Pistol also by Alliant, and it looks like it may be the ticket. It meters well so far, we'll see what the chrono says tomorrow hopefully.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
After some adjustments in COL, I think this is the load. I'll due some more chrono work if the wind dies down and check accuracy. It feels nice and feeds and extracts great.

180gr Blue Bullet
4.5gr Alliant Sport Pistol
1.145 COL
WSPP

22 rounds
H: 968 fps
L: 949 fps
A: 960 fps
ES: 19
SD: 4
PF: 172.8