SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Digital Scale
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital Scale Login/Join 
posted
I would like to get digital scale for a backup and check of my beam scale. Thing is I know nothing about then. Batery or plug in? Name brand or other? What do the Master reloaders say.

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I purchased a digital scale from Dillon Precision over 15 years ago. It plugs into a receptacle near my loading bench. I often check the accuracy of the scale with some Lyman weights. It has been a great scale! Mine is accurate to +/- .1 grain.

Because it's "electronic" and my loading is done in a "mostly unheated" shed in NH, I remove it from the shed when done and keep it in the heated basement. I have a propane heater and heat up the shed for 1/2 hour before going out there to reload!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a relatively cheap one with the Cabelas name, also 15+ years old. This one uses a 9 volt battery, has worked fine.

It did come with some ‘check weights’. I also check it at times with a lighter weight bullet of a known weight.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I got the RCBS ChargeMaseter Combo a few years a go and very happy with it.
If I ever go UBER-precise I might look for a slightly more accurate precise on the measurement maybe going down a digit.
It has made some very accurate rounds and I am NOT complaining.
Of course you can always improve but don't take this as it is anything not worthy as it surely is.
YMMV

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also bought a Chargemaster (on sale) a year ago, but have yet to use it. My purchase was more for rifle reloading than pistol. When I retire (soon), I'll be working up loads for my rifles and using my LabRadar to determine velocity vs. accuracy. Can't wait! Less than 1 year away!

posted Hide Post
I'm not a reloader (yet), but ran across a video the other day that may be of interest...

This is from the youtube channel "Johnny's Reloading Bench". The video, which was released 2 months ago, compares 16 digital scales that range in price from mid-teens to close to $100, if I remember correctly.

Posts: 586 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info, way more out there than I tought

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, being the nerd I am, I did a statistical analysis of the charge weight from the Dillon scale. Once I determined that the standard deviation was +/- .05 grain, I was confident in using it! A .1 grain difference will not cause any over-pressure rounds if I reload close to the max!

Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I had an RCBS scale that went out on me after several years. I looked at reviews and decided Dillons had a good one that had many positive reviews. Bought it and been quite satisfied.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
As with so many things, it depends on what level of accuracy/precision you need. For some time, I used a Frankfort Arsenal (IIRC) scale that was rated at +/- 0.1gr. That was fine for mid-range pistol rounds and bulk rifle ammo (55gr 223 in my case). But when I started trying to shoot the tiniest groups I could, the scale became a limiting factor in my reloading. I switched over to a GemPro 250, which is rated to +/- 0.02gr, and saw my velocities, SD, and groups all shrink.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The anal statistician in me is intrigued.

Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
There are 2 kinds of electronic scale technology in common use. The load cell is used in cheaper scales and is made up of a series of resistive strain gauges. A resistive straing gauge, is basically, an element that through which the resistance to current changes as it is flexed. While reasonably accurate when in good condition, they have a tendency to drift over when trickling powder. Load cell technology is what's used in most reloading type scales.

The other technology in common use is magnetic force restoration. The easiest way to describe it is as a type of balance beam. The beam is balanced when no weight is on the scale. When a weight is placed on the scale, a computer controlled magnetic force is used to hold the beam in a balanced position. The computer calculates the weight based on the amount of power and magnetic force needed to keep the beam balanced.

Magnetic force restoration scales tend to be found on laboratory quality equipment, and are priced accordingly.

I use a Sartorius Entries 323-1s magnetic force restoration lab balance for weighing rifle powder charges. It easily weighs single kernels of powder, and does not drift under any circumstances. Sartorius, Scientech and A&D all make excellent quality MFR balances.

The Sartorius Entries 64-1s is also an excellent scale.

Strain gauge vs MFR:

https://youtu.be/zxMzbAt4bj0

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9V Pact that I've used for nearly 20 years.

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:

An $800 scale for regular loading of practice pistol and rifle ammunition is a bit extreme. For competition, it may be worthwhile.
I did appreciate your explanation of the electronic scale technology.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post