SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Digital Scale
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital Scale Login/Join 
posted
I would like to get digital scale for a backup and check of my beam scale. Thing is I know nothing about then. Batery or plug in? Name brand or other? What do the Master reloaders say.

Posts: 884 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I purchased a digital scale from Dillon Precision over 15 years ago. It plugs into a receptacle near my loading bench. I often check the accuracy of the scale with some Lyman weights. It has been a great scale! Mine is accurate to +/- .1 grain.

Because it's "electronic" and my loading is done in a "mostly unheated" shed in NH, I remove it from the shed when done and keep it in the heated basement. I have a propane heater and heat up the shed for 1/2 hour before going out there to reload!

Posts: 2920 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a relatively cheap one with the Cabelas name, also 15+ years old. This one uses a 9 volt battery, has worked fine.

It did come with some ‘check weights’. I also check it at times with a lighter weight bullet of a known weight.

Posts: 3970 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I got the RCBS ChargeMaseter Combo a few years a go and very happy with it.
If I ever go UBER-precise I might look for a slightly more accurate precise on the measurement maybe going down a digit.
It has made some very accurate rounds and I am NOT complaining.
Of course you can always improve but don't take this as it is anything not worthy as it surely is.
YMMV

Posts: 17689 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also bought a Chargemaster (on sale) a year ago, but have yet to use it. My purchase was more for rifle reloading than pistol. When I retire (soon), I'll be working up loads for my rifles and using my LabRadar to determine velocity vs. accuracy. Can't wait! Less than 1 year away!

posted Hide Post
I'm not a reloader (yet), but ran across a video the other day that may be of interest...

This is from the youtube channel "Johnny's Reloading Bench". The video, which was released 2 months ago, compares 16 digital scales that range in price from mid-teens to close to $100, if I remember correctly.

duckduckgo.com - The search engine that doesn't track you

Posts: 522 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info, way more out there than I tought

Posts: 884 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, being the nerd I am, I did a statistical analysis of the charge weight from the Dillon scale. Once I determined that the standard deviation was +/- .05 grain, I was confident in using it! A .1 grain difference will not cause any over-pressure rounds if I reload close to the max!

Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I had an RCBS scale that went out on me after several years. I looked at reviews and decided Dillons had a good one that had many positive reviews. Bought it and been quite satisfied.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. FFL(01) NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 8552 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
As with so many things, it depends on what level of accuracy/precision you need. For some time, I used a Frankfort Arsenal (IIRC) scale that was rated at +/- 0.1gr. That was fine for mid-range pistol rounds and bulk rifle ammo (55gr 223 in my case). But when I started trying to shoot the tiniest groups I could, the scale became a limiting factor in my reloading. I switched over to a GemPro 250, which is rated to +/- 0.02gr, and saw my velocities, SD, and groups all shrink.

Posts: 1960 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The anal statistician in me is intrigued.