SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    IMR 4227: Do you use it only for 300 Blackout?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 4227: Do you use it only for 300 Blackout? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I am curious about IMR 4227 powder. I see it gets some use in 300 Blackout, especially in subsonic loads.
Does anyone use it for any other rifle loads? Even as a 2nd or 3rd choice powder?
I see a couple of very reduced .223 loads but not much else. Magnum pistol seems to be the primary use and that doesn't interest me.

Anybody got any information on other uses?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use it exclusively for cast bullet military rifle match loads. Does very well in M1 Carbine as well.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have about 3+ pounds of 4227, given by a relative. I think this powder is 80’s or so vintage.

I have other, slower powders for revolvers which I don’t load that often. Did see some low speed rifle loads, low interest there too.

I may eventually get around to it with the 357, 41, & 44 mag.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
17 hornet
300 BO

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I didn’t plan on loading for the 7.62x39, but decided to get supplies to use up some 4227 powder. I have enough other, fresh powder for revolvers. It may not be max speeds, but IMR-4227 is commonly listed for the 7.62x39 ‘Russian’.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I don't load 300 subs, but I have a pound of 4227 on the shelf. I can't remember what I used it for! It comes up periodically in my load data, but another powder always seems to do better for the cartridge I am interested in.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone. I had seen it in stock and impulse ordered it. I realized afterwards that it doesn't work well for anything that I load regularly.
I was able to cancel the order.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Well, I thought I was able to cancel the order!
Now, I have to find something to do with 8 lbs of this powder. 300 Blackout, here I come! Wink

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
Did it come in an 8 lbs. jug? My last order came in 1 lbs. bottles.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
8 lb jug showed up yesterday.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
It's good for cast bullet loads in rifle and some handgun cartridges. The only jacketed loads I've used it with has been for .30 carbine.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just an idea. I found a free download of the Lee #1 manual from a Marlin site. The manual includes a handful of rifle loads with IMR-4227.

https://www.marlinowners.com/t...d-references.281290/

The powder isn’t mainstream or ideal with the 223, but I plan to try some, light bullets. It isn’t near top speeds, but I have some ‘free’ powder I plan to use up. Yes I know about the magnum revolver loads.

Picture of FALna45
posted Hide Post
Howdy!
I have an IMR booklet (pdf) which actually predates 300BO but has many seemingly (to this novice reloader) useful loadings of 4227 including but not limited to the following:

rifle chamberings
22 hornet
220 Swift
22-250
6 mm Rem
25-06
257 Roberts
7mm mauser
280 Remington
7 Remington mag
30 m1 carbine
300 Savage
30-40 krag
30-06
300 win mag
762x39
8mm Mauser
338 win mag
357 magnum rifle
35 Remington
358 Winchester
375 H&H mag
444 Marlin
45-70
458 win mag

Handgun listings include
357 mag
44 special
44 rem mag
45 Colt

Also a bunch of 410 loads

Email inbound....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
yeah, i can teach you how to read the book of life...
or you can just look at the pictures if you like

Posts: 235 | Location: SE MI | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I use it in my 500 Linebaugh and that’s about it.

(I don’t use it in 300 blackout or all the other cartridges that’re the same with different names) Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gallo Pazzesco
posted Hide Post
I only have a couple of pounds of it remaining ... used maybe a pound of it over the years loading mostly M1 Carbine (but back in the day I had a 22 Hornet and 22-250 I used it for at times) and I did use it for 300 BLK until I scored a keg of CFE BLK this past October from Midway.

I'm sure I'll find a reason to use it again one day. I've heard of it being used for subsonic 5.56 but for the life of me I never understood why anyone would want-to.

Posts: 104 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: September 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post