SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Edit: Received the RL1100! Dillon 1050 or wait for the 1100?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edit: Received the RL1100! Dillon 1050 or wait for the 1100? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
Edit: I just got the RL1100 on Wednesday direct from Dillon. Got it mounted and setup pretty easily. A minor tweak on the seating die for my bullet, dies were all set from Dillon, and cranked out some 40 S&W. Very smooth and priming on the downstroke, wow, so much better. I almost wish I would have bought a 1050 over the 650 a couple years ago.

Ordered Feb 14th, delivery on April 6th.

Edit: ordered the RL1100, it could be 4-6 weeks before it ships.

I’m looking to get one of these this year and trying to decide if the new one will really be better.

I will primarily load 40 S&W on it with maybe some .223. It will eventually get an AmmoBot auto drive. No, I don’t shoot enough yet to really need the 1050 over my 650. However, I want one so I’m going to buy one. Hahaha.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Best reason to buy one!

Since you already have a 650, I’d just wait a bit longer for that 1100.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Since you already have a 650, I’d just wait a bit longer for that 1100.

By which time I might even be ready for a progressive reloader and be interested in taking that 650 off your hands Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I started with a 650 bought a 1050 last Christmas to load 223 with, the 1050 is at another level but the 650 is a bit more forgiving when there is a hiccup plus the lifetime warranty is a huge plus. from my understanding the 1100 has only a hand full of upgrades.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't see any real advantage to the 1100 to make a wait worth while, unless you plan to make it an automated ammo factory.
If you want to be the first "on your block," then wait.

Posts: 161 | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Only 7 months later, a Dillon 1100 is ordered. The demand is so high, they can be back ordered up to 6 weeks....

I can't wait, I've got big plans for practice this year.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
We buy guns because we want one so we should be able to buy a new reloader if we want. I say buy now.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Riley - I just received my RL1100 (in 9mm) that I pre-ordered in early September and I will not be selling my 650 because without dies the caliber change system for the RL1100 is slightly over $500.00 when you set it up its own separate toolhead, which is the only way to go(not including the caliber change kit for the Mr. Bulletfeeder which is another $200.00)...I did order a Mr. Bulletfeeder to go with my RL1100 and it will be mounted during initial set up of the RL1100....

My plan is to run 9mm on my RL1100 and run everything else (40,45,38,223,308,and 300 B/O) on the 650 since I have complete dedicated tool heads already set up for each of these for the 650....

I, like you, do not shoot enough today (average about 1,000 rds a month) to justify the RL1100 but once I retire in 4-5 years I intend on shooting more so I decided now was the time to buy while my funds will allow without the wife fussing...Dillon reloaders are actually an investment. Over the past 10 years every Dillon press and accessories have gone up between 4 and 7 percent a year so buying now will save you money....

Also Steve Dillon told me himself that they have an RL1100 in their R&D area at Dillon Precision that has cycled over 1,000,000 times with no major breakages.....and it is hooked up to an Ammobot. One last point - the RL1100 comes with a two year warranty and the Super 1050 comes with a one year - not that one would ever need the warranty since these things are built like tanks.....

No immediate plans to automate mine beyond the bullet feeder for now but it is nice to know that I have the right press to handle an auto system if I find that later on I want to let a machine do the major work for me.....

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Based on my shooting last year, and plans this year, I think I can justify the 1100. Plus, I just wanted it. Time vs money.

I’ll put the 650 back to 9mm for my wife’s shooting and my steel challenge shooting but the RL 1100 will process 40. I’ve got a 40 cal bullet feeder on the 650 that will transfer over. I don’t use enough 9 to make it an issue.

After I get an AmmoBot, I’ll pick up a Mr.Bullet Feeder in 9mm.

Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Riley, if only you lived closer...we could become 'fast' friends Smile

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
TR, where do you shoot mostly? I’ve got several shoots planned in Missoula, Bozeman and such.

Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Last season was a bust for me, right shoulder injury limited me to the Semper Fi Steel match and one USPSA at Deer Lodge. I live in Helena, been shooting at the High Ore range for years. When I do travel for a match it's Hamilton, Missoula, Logan, and Deer Lodge. Six grand kids live here so match funds have been diverted to other activities over the last couple years. We may have some mutual shooter contact in the area. I'd like to say I am fully engaged in the sport shooting but being retired(medically) has been a reordering of family priorities.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of the medical retirement. Not the preferred way to retire I'm sure. I'm really just getting serious in USPSA now, I've been dabbling the last two years.

Some regulars in MT are putting on an RO class in Billings that I will be attending.

Made a few trips going to Helena and back several years ago helping the Malamute rescue.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Ordered the RL1100 on February 14th, shipping notice today April 6th with an expected deliver on April 8th.

Woohoo! Saving pennies now for the automation system.

posted Hide Post
Riley - In Line Fabrication now has three different mounting units if you decide you want to raise it up off your bench. They have a 4”, 7.5”, and a 9 3/4” height units...Guessing you knew this but thought I would share in case you were not aware....Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I have an InLine mount for XL650 but as I will eventually AutoDrive the RL1100 I won’t need the mount.

InLine makes great stuff, I have several of his products.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Got it, tweaked the seating depth, added the bullet feeder and off to the races.

Worth it for me!

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Got any pics of your setup so far? As much as I'd love one right now, I don't load nearly enough to need an 1100. One day though...

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I probably don't shoot enough for it either, but it sure is nice.

A bullet feeder and case feeder on the 650 has kept me supplied and then some.

I don't have any photos right now, the bench is a mess. I plan to get some before too long.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post

Waiting on some LED lights and a mount from InLine Fab, the AutoDrive will raise it up and of course won’t matter but it will be a bit before I get that. I bought a 4” riser as I stand to reload.