SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What to do with 500 110 Grain .357 XTPs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with 500 110 Grain .357 XTPs Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
So I got my Hornady free bullets from the purchase of my LNL press yesterday. Normally I prefer heavier bullets in pretty much every application (lightest I've ever loaded for .38 is 135gr, and most of my .357 experience has been with 158 or 180gr), but since they only offered free ones at the light end of the spectrum, I went ahead and selected these 110 grain XTPs.

Now that they are here, I'm not really sure what I want to do with them. I have a Marlin 1894, a GP100, and an SP101 chambered in .357 Mag, and a J-frame chambered in .38 +p. The temptation is there to make some screaming hot .357 mag ammo (could be upwards of 2000fps with H110/296 out of the rifle)...just for fun, and possibly varmint hunting. But I hear horror stories about flame cutting in revolvers with light .357 bullets. I know the flame cutting is an issue caused by the gap between the cylinder and the forcing cone of a revolver...the rifle obviously doesn't have this gap, so do I need to be worried about damage to it from hot-loaded light bullets?

As for the revolvers, should I be safe loading these things down to .38 +p levels, or should I go even lower and just use them as light .38 plinking loads?

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
One of the agencies I worked for issued factory 110 gr ammo for our GP100s. I reloaded that round and it was very accurate. Don't dis the 110gr bullets. Very nice ammo. If you don't want it, send it to me! Big Grin

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
One of the agencies I worked for issued factory 110 gr ammo for our GP100s. I reloaded that round and it was very accurate. Don't dis the 110gr bullets. Very nice ammo. If you don't want it, send it to me! Big Grin

Oh, I'm not dissing it. I think there's definitely potential there (I'm thinking particularly that it might make a nice .30 carbine-like round in .357), I'm just trying to determine the best way to use it without causing any undue damage to my guns. Were the rounds you had issued .357 mag, or .38? Any suggestions on powder?

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I would just load them to the 38 Spcl +p level to be used for carry or the range.

There is a school of thought where light bullets with high charges of H-110/296 can contribute to an increased rate of top strap erosion.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The lighter bullets are idea for the snubbies. Can’t really get the 158 grain bullets up to speed with the short barrels, but those 110s would serve them well.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
If you are asking will the hot light loads hurt the Marlin, no.
I think that would be a FUN load to play with.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Jackrabbit devastators! GP100 or Marlin.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you have a 357sig, load them in that.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
If you have a 357sig, load them in that.

I'm not sure that's good advice. I think .357 SIG bullets are actually .355 inches and .38 special/.357 Magnum bullets are a true .357 inches.

I'm not sure it's enough of a difference to matter, but I wouldn't try it.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Insert in GP, Shoot, GRIN!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Well, I used them with a LOT of H-110 in a Grizzly (oversized 1911) .357 GWM

P02grizzly357a
by David Casteel, on Flickr
this is essentially a .45 Win Mag necked down to .357

and I also used them in a .357 Maximum revolver, again with a LOT of H-110

P08sevillea
by David Casteel, on Flickr
this is a Seville SA revolver--the cartridge is a lengthened .357 Mag.

Did I mention I like lots of muzzle flash? FWIW, the .357 Maximum ammo did cause some topstrap cutting in my Ruger SA revolver, but the Seville had a slightly longer chamber and was made of very tough stainless steel and did not suffer.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post