SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Ooooh! THAT's why you don't de-cap before tumbling.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ooooh! THAT's why you don't de-cap before tumbling. Login/Join 
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted
So you don't have to spend 45 minutes poking media out of the flash hole with a toothpick. Big Grin

I'm learning so it's all good.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1362 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use a de-capping/sizing die as the first op after tumbling and it will poke it out for you.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I de-cap all the time prior to tumbling.
I do however wet tumble now.

Made the mistake of de-capping prior to cleaning in dry media once. Once.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I use crushed walnut to avoid a plugged flash hole.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, it is a mistake usually only made once. Cool

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
I use a finer 20/40 mesh media and it will flow through the flash holes. I always deprime before cleaning when I use the wet SS system.

Besides the explosiveness of a primer will blow any thing out of the way weather you clear it or not.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
You also want your brass clean before it goes into your sizing die where most decpping occurs.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second 20/40 mesh media, I picked up a 40 lbs bag from grainger years back and am only 1/6 through it.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Bandit
posted Hide Post
Same here.
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
I use crushed walnut to avoid a plugged flash hole.

Posts: 4334 | Location: Erie, Pa, USA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
No the reason you don't recap before tumbling is it defeats most of the reason for tumbling in the first place. Clean brass resizes easier. And it won't matter what media you use, the decapping pin with push it out.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but then you lube the cases for sizing, and after they're sized you have to remove the lube. So back into the tumbler they go, where they collect media in the flash holes anyway. Unless you prefer to do the remainder of the reloading steps with slippery cases and then tumble them at the end. Or wipe them clean, which always makes my hands start to cramp after a couple dozen rounds.

The media I use is fine enough that it only sticks in maybe one case in a dozen. So it's quicker to inspect them while I'm dumping media out of them and poke it out with a paper clip or dental pick than to run them all through a universal decapper.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, but then you lube the cases for sizing, and after they're sized you have to remove the lube. So back into the tumbler they go, where they collect media in the flash holes anyway. Unless you prefer to do the remainder of the reloading steps with slippery cases and then tumble them at the end. Or wipe them clean, which always makes my hands start to cramp after a couple dozen rounds.

If you use Oneshot, they can be left as is or if you must, just dump 500rds into an old towel & roll them around.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
And it won't matter what media you use, the decapping pin with push it out.

Well, yes, and no.
I read about some stuff that you can get that is commonly called 'Lizard Litter'. It is larger than most other common media but it was supposed to be cheaper and work really well.
It worked fine with pistol cal brass, and seemed to be more aggressive than walnut or corn cob.
Then, I ran some .223 one day. I put it in the tumbler for a couple of hours, dumped it into the rotating separator, gave it few cranks in each direction, and then dumped the brass into a container.
I pulled a couple out to examine them and thought that I saw something fall out of the neck. It turned out that, because of it's size and shape, the 'Lizard Litter' was getting into the brass but would often get jammed up in the neck and could not get back out.
I had to use a small wire to coax the 'Lizard Litter' out of 100+ cases, one at a time.
So, in this case, with this media, the universal de-capping die would not have cleaned out the flash holes as it would have any other time.

Now I tumble the .223 with either walnut or corn cob, lube them with One Shot, do a quick visual on each, run them through a Small Base die to size and de-cap them, use a case guage to check for length and fit, load them in the Dillon, and then either wipe them off, or tumble the finished rounds in the 'Lizard Litter' for a short time to remove the One Shot. Finished pistol rounds get the same treatment.

De-capping in a single stage press also keeps the spent primers, and associated detritus, away from the 550 where they can be a nuisance.

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to have the primer "hole" clean as well as the inside/outside of the case. What I do is to deprime the fired case with a simple single stage press. Sort WIN, F.C., Blazer and so forth into about 1500 round lots (or fewer). . . .and then tumble with water, some powdered stuff, two drops of liquid soap, and SS pins for up to three hours. wash with water, dry and see bright clean cases including primer pocket.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
I don't worry about the flash hole or primer pocket. Use walnut media with a little dishwashing soap or liquid car polish and no need to lube.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wish one of you would load a few rounds with walnut litter in the fire holes and a few with out. then range time. Would be nice to know. I just load 223 on a progressive press and have a decapper pin to clear the hole.

AzCDL
War is less costly than servitude
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Posts: 71 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post