SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Looking for a new coated 9mm bullet, what’s your favorite?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a new coated 9mm bullet, what’s your favorite? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
Im looking to try another brand of coated 9mm bullets. Partially just because I need some more and partly to see if any others are better. I’m using Summer Enterprise 145gr HiTeck RN and I like them but I have to seat a little deeper for my CZ and they seem kind of messy when loading. Not shaving in the seating but flakey.

Anyway, since I’m low on bullets I want to try some others with a different shape and maybe try some 135gr.

Question:
What is your favorite brand of coated lead bullets?

Choices:
Summer Enterprise
Bayou Bullets
Blue Bullets
Leatherhead
Other, please list.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black Bullets

Cause they matter...….

Love the 147gr over VV N320. It's like shooting marshmallows. No recoil.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have recently bought SNS Casting bullets. They have been great so far.

If you buy in quantity there is a discount after 5000 or 10,000. Give a positive review and get a 5% discount code.

Very fast shipping.

https://store-8hayp.mybigcommerce.com

Jsjac

Posts: 402 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
Black Bullets
Where are these guys located? If that information is on their website it is well hidden. Or maybe I need to re-read "Internet for [Senior] Dummies."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black Bullets International
I shoot them.

BBI-CEO
Chandler LaFrain
805B S Cavalier Dr
Alamo, TN 38001
(731) 343-4001
bbibullets@gmail.com

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
I vote for Blue Bullets. They use virgin lead alloy as they found too much variation in recycled lead alloy. I've never had an issue with their bullets. The Father/Son owners are good people. Nathan has a Law Enforcement and USPSA background. They support a lot of shooting competitions in the Southeast as well.
I've run Black Bullets and Bayou in the past without issues as well. When I measured a bunch of Black Bullets vs. Blue Bullets I found less deviation with the Blue Bullets. The results are somewhere on the CZ website.
For full disclosure, I don't live too far from Blue Bullets and I BS with them now and then. However, I wouldn't use their stuff if it wasn't quality.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last 5000 Bullets came from Black Bullet

Very nice bullet, good consistency in size

SNS also makes a good bullet, just have not bought any since the color change

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Summers has the best prices I've found, the bullets shoot well, and excellent customer service to boot. I've shot thousands of his cast and just recently picked up some coated, which are working out well.

I just wish he made a 405gr .458 cast bullet for my .45-70.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Acme bullets are my choice.

Posts: 385 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black Bullets is located in Alamo, TN.

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post

Left to right: Bayou 135gr RN, Summers 145gr RN, Bayou 147gr FP.

The Bayou are slicker and shinier. I’ve shot about 1,000 of the Summers and they shoot well so I’m interested to compare to Bayou. I’m excited to maybe be able to load a tad longer with the lighter bullet and different shape for the CZ. I also want to try some other weight and profile of Summers.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used both black bullets, and acme. Whichever is cheaper gets my business, be sure to consider shipping costs. One of them, I've forgotten which, includes shipping in their price.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I make my own with a Saeco mold & coat them but if I buy, I prefer Bayou. Summers is good for the price, but if the coating flakes, it isn't cured properly.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huskerlrrp:
I vote for Blue Bullets. They use virgin lead alloy as they found too much variation in recycled lead alloy. I've never had an issue with their bullets. The Father/Son owners are good people. Nathan has a Law Enforcement and USPSA background. They support a lot of shooting competitions in the Southeast as well.
I've run Black Bullets and Bayou in the past without issues as well. When I measured a bunch of Black Bullets vs. Blue Bullets I found less deviation with the Blue Bullets. The results are somewhere on the CZ website.
For full disclosure, I don't live too far from Blue Bullets and I BS with them now and then. However, I wouldn't use their stuff if it wasn't quality.
I looked at the Blue Bullets website. Saw 9mm 147 gr in both Round Nose and Flat Point, same price.

Stand by for my dumb question: For general range use, do you recommend Round Nose or Flat Point? Why? My 9mm pistols are SIG P228, P239, and P938, if that makes a difference.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For general range use I would use the round point

They tend to feed in all guns with less problems

The flat nose cuts a sharper hole in paper and may get a better hit on a bowling pin but for general use a round nose works in multiple situations

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
I looked at the Blue Bullets website. Saw 9mm 147 gr in both Round Nose and Flat Point, same price.Stand by for my dumb question: For general range use, do you recommend Round Nose or Flat Point? Why? My 9mm pistols are SIG P228, P239, and P938, if that makes a difference.

RN works in just about anything. FP can be an issue in some guns. So when in doubt, go RN.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Looking at the FP Bayou I have, and seeing some issues with others guns, I think I’ll Karma then off.

The 135RN looks promising so I hope it shoots well.

posted Hide Post
Missouri Bullet Company. Period.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gundog55:
Acme bullets are my choice.

I second that. I'm currently using Acme bullets exclusively.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I pretty much use Blues exclusively at this point, although I do like the Precision Blacks out of Texas. You will not beat the price of Blues if you are a high volume shooter and I really love their subscription option. I save 13% off list price and they ship me a case a month, like clockwork. Plus they do a lot to support the shooting sports.. I have no affiliation with the company aside from just really liking the product.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post