Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm sub-sonic Login/Join 
Picture of mossyoak1
posted
Anybody reloading any sub-sonic 9mm or any other caliber for suppression? I am running a slow 147gr plated with 3.5gr of Unique that is pretty quiet and accurate.

I have found that the 115gr with 4.8gr of WSF is pretty loud through the suppressor, but that also has some speed to it as well.
Is anybody else reloading for a supressor?

“When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 471 | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I use 147gr Berry’s plated over 3-3.5gr of Titegroup. It suppresses well out of my W. German P226 with a Yankee Hill Cobra can.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I will check my notes but I was loading 165gr for subsonics.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mossyoak1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I use 147gr Berry’s plated over 3-3.5gr of Titegroup. It suppresses well out of my W. German P226 with a Yankee Hill Cobra can.

That's what I'm shooting it out of with a Sig SRD9 suppressor. I hear a big difference from the 115gr.

I was told to load the starting weight of whatever powder you are running with a heavy bullet for suppressors.

“When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.” - Thomas Jefferson

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I will check my notes but I was loading 165gr for subsonics.

Interesting. Where do you find those?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
147gr Black Bullets International
3.2gr VV N320

830fps - as quiet a mouse fart!!!

Functions in all my Sigs including the MPX. With a can - you can hear the brass hit the deck and the action cycle.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Xtreme offers a 165 grn plated 9mm. In an unsupressed Glock 17 with LW barrel and with 3.5 grains Unique I got right around 925 fps average. OAL was 1.160.

Haven't had a chance to mess with the combo anymore.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mossyoak1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
147gr Black Bullets International
3.2gr VV N320

830fps - as quiet a mouse fart!!!

Functions in all my Sigs including the MPX. With a can - you can hear the brass hit the deck and the action cycle.

Andrew

You peak my interest with this one, I would assume your accuracy is still there?

posted Hide Post
Yep….
Holds true to 25yds.

Everyone who shoots this load swears I'm cheating.

Andrew

Picture of mossyoak1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
Yep….
Holds true to 25yds.

Everyone who shoots this load swears I'm cheating.

Andrew

Well, you weren't kidding. I finally found some powder to give it a try and this is by far the best that I have. Unique is a close 2nd but the n320 meters a lot better than Unique's flakes. I needed to bump up a bit more (3.4grs) 147gr RMR round nose set at 1.142" OAL. I had 1 case failed to eject, but it is quiet and accurate. Thanks for the suggestion.

posted Hide Post
Glad you found the right combo....

I primarily shoot this load in my P320 X5. For reliability, I dropped the recoil spring to 14lbs. And it functions flawlessly.

So if you upped to 3.4grains to ensure function....try dropping recoil spring weight. If you went up on charge for accuracy - stay there.

At 3.2grains it runs about 835-850fps and the cases drop/fall out of the chamber immediately to the right in a small pile just in front of your feet.

Only drawback - N320 has a terrible burned powder smell.

Enjoy
Andrew

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I reloaded and shot 9mm for many years, but no more. And I never shot suppressed pistols. My standard load was a Precision Delta FMJRN 147gr bullet with 3.9gr WSF. This chronographed at 900fps (from a Colt Govt. model and a P320FS), which is a nicely subsonic load, and soft shooting as well. It also makes a 132PF for you minor class competition shooters

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I mainly used Trail Boss powder for 308 subsonic load. It would fill the case and work much better.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: April 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
For those shooting N320 I’m told it’s fairly clean, do you find that to be the case?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
For those shooting N320 I’m told it’s fairly clean, do you find that to be the case?

Yes. Very clean shooting powder. Meters very consistently.

Andrew

Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
147gr Berry’s plated
3.4gr VV N320
OAL 1.15"

Clean and quiet. Also makes 125PF in most ~4.5-5" barrels. This has been my 9mm competition load forever.

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mossyoak1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:

The little that I have shot it, yes it is pretty clean.

Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I reloaded and shot 9mm for many years, but no more. And I never shot suppressed pistols. My standard load was a Precision Delta FMJRN 147gr bullet with 3.9gr WSF. This chronographed at 900fps (from a Colt Govt. model and a P320FS), which is a nicely subsonic load, and soft shooting as well. It also makes a 132PF for you minor class competition shooters
if you are shooting a bullet at 900 fps you are not shooting a subsonic projectile. To be subsonic it can only go 769/fps.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to be confrontational, but subsonic by definition is a velocity less than 1126 FPS at standard conditions. So, yes 900 FPS is subsonic...as is 769 FPS.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

posted Hide Post
I don't have a silencer but I shoot 147 gr 900 fps for mild FELT recoil and Minor power factor.

I can also make Minor with a 124 at 1050 fps which is a lot more pleasant to shoot than a 115 at 1150, even though not as soft as the 147.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post