SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What did you do today in reloading-land?
Page 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 98
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you do today in reloading-land? Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
I live in North central Wisconsin, about 5 or so hours' drive north of Chicago.

You north of Stevens Point?

Nils: EXX lives in a estate with more bars and taverns per capita than any of the other of the 49 (or 57 according to some politicians) states.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bench organized and ready to start loading......

As soon as this....

Is finished in this.....

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
You need more stuff Wink
You build that tumbler,that is first class.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
You need more stuff Wink
You build that tumbler,that is first class.

I have another 2 boxes of stuff that I haven't moved down there yet. Going to throw some shelves up above the bench as well.

I copied plans I found online for the tumbler. Had a friend weld the steel for me. That thing is stout. It will most certainly outlast me.

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:

Nils: EXX lives in a estate with more bars and taverns per capita than any of the other of the 49 (or 57 according to some politicians) states.

RMD

I'm about 30 minutes WNW of point.

That's a pretty random spot for you to know.. ?? Lol

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 4 hours later they came out like this. I'm pretty pleased. Wish I wasn't so dang tired or I'd do another batch.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Erick - I suggest you load some of that before you clean more pistol brass like that. For me, I found it got cleaned, not polished, and so it was more difficult to run it through my press. Because of that, I now reserve the stainless tumbling for rifle brass. Pistol just goes into corn cob.

Today I finished sorting the rest of that 9mm, swapped the tumbler again, and decapped a shitload of it. Found 3 more Makarov cases in that box.

By the time I got done discarding military brass and stuff that looked like it had been loaded for 9mm major, I estimate I got about 4200 serviceable pieces out of that box. I'm happy enough with that, I suppose. Much easier than picking 4200 pieces up off the ground.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
A bucket of 38 specials.
We're gonna train a new shooter next weekend.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
I used my spankin' new mini-Chop Saw from HF to cut down a (very) few .223 to get ready for loading some .300 aac when my dies get here some time next week. I don't have one of those fancy jigs to hold the brass but I found, after squaring the blade with the clamp and locking it down tight, that I could line up the edge of the brass with the edge of the clamp, press it down as I clamped it to keep it square, and end up just a few thousandths long.
I also found that while my RCBS trimmer works fine for .243, ,284, etc it has trouble grabbing the 223/5.56 brass so it takes 5 times longer than it should.
Oh well, I'll figure something out.

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Vicious:
I used my spankin' new mini-Chop Saw from HF to cut down a (very) few .223 to get ready for loading some .300 aac when my dies get here some time next week. I don't have one of those fancy jigs to hold the brass but I found, after squaring the blade with the clamp and locking it down tight, that I could line up the edge of the brass with the edge of the clamp, press it down as I clamped it to keep it square, and end up just a few thousandths long.
I also found that while my RCBS trimmer works fine for .243, ,284, etc it has trouble grabbing the 223/5.56 brass so it takes 5 times longer than it should.
Oh well, I'll figure something out.

Thing is, that's not going to cut them square. The new mouth will be canted in relation to the case head. While this doesn't seem a big deal, it'll make trimming a pain in the ass.

Get a fancy jig and thank me later...

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

RMD

I'm about 30 minutes WNW of point.

That's a pretty random spot for you to know.. ?? Lol

Musician friends who went to school there.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
quote:

Back to the 9X18. Curious to know the outcome in a 9X19 chamber.

RMD

Very likely to chamber, likely to go off, not very likely to cycle the action (significantly less power vs a modern 9x19). Would likely chuck the brass, but not lock the action back. I can make a dummy round and test this theory if you like. I have seen the effects of a 9mm shot in a 40SW chamber several times from both a neighbor and a friend. I have yet to see one of them not go off, and it has happened several times. Brass is never that beat up, but accuracy goes to pot. Wink

Yep, I have seen the 9 in a 40 chamber as well. Just curious as to how much a difference that 1mm would make.

RMD

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

RMD

Very likely to chamber, likely to go off, not very likely to cycle the action (significantly less power vs a modern 9x19). Would likely chuck the brass, but not lock the action back. I can make a dummy round and test this theory if you like. I have seen the effects of a 9mm shot in a 40SW chamber several times from both a neighbor and a friend. I have yet to see one of them not go off, and it has happened several times. Brass is never that beat up, but accuracy goes to pot. Wink

Yep, I have seen the 9 in a 40 chamber as well. Just curious as to how much a difference that 1mm would make.

RMD

Well, 9 in a 40 is a diameter issue. This is an OAL issue, but theoretically very similar chamber dimensions in terms of diameter, so... Meh. I'm still not going to try it. I might if I had a hi point, but I'm not going to intentionally out incorrect ammo in a 226.

posted Hide Post
Scored three pounds of TiteGroup yesterday to add to my stockpile of 40 powder. Never thought I'd see that in stock around me ever again. Was even more surprised to see it still in-stock at 2:00 in the afternoon at a big box sporting goods store.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
Scored three pounds of TiteGroup yesterday to add to my stockpile of 40 powder. Never thought I'd see that in stock around me ever again. Was even more surprised to see it still in-stock at 2:00 in the afternoon at a big box sporting goods store.

Hope I can score some more,I use that in the
100grain SFIRE .
Had a new can of it,it was the only thing that would work the action of the Beretta 92 with these bullets.
I am a lead guy,hell everything works with lead and I had these frangables for a while.
I shot and loaded them many years back,then I found lead for cheap.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Swapped the tumbler again, and decapped what came out. Good god, I am getting sick of processing 9mm.

Going to make some 223 yet tonight. I have a 5 gallon bucket of brass that needs loaded. Ordered 2k 69gr MatchKing for $402 shipped last week. Tracking says they'll be here tomorrow. Have 1200 left from the last order (4k iirc).

Picture of SeattleDude
posted Hide Post
I am brewing some subs today =)

Posts: 611 | Location: W.WA | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

RMD

RMD

Well, 9 in a 40 is a diameter issue. This is an OAL issue, but theoretically very similar chamber dimensions in terms of diameter, so... Meh. I'm still not going to try it. I might if I had a hi point, but I'm not going to intentionally out incorrect ammo in a 226.

That I can understand.

RMD

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Unboxed my Scott Parker scale that came yesterday. Will setup and try it out tomorrow Wink

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Just made a couple hundred rounds of 223. First run of 223 on the 650, so I had to get the dies set up. Added a Redding taper crimp die, too. My god this thing is so much faster than the 550. I continue to be amazed every time I use it.

Breaking for dinner, then I'll load the rest of whatever I threw in the case feeder. Another couple hundred or so, I think.