SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What did you do today in reloading-land?
Page 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... 98
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you do today in reloading-land? Login/Join 
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I got into some crap yesterday loading a bunch of 38 specials.
I had three gallons of cleaned and ready to go brass.
Toward the last gallon the press got stupid .
pulled the round out and bullet was only half way seated.
Turns out to be 38 long colt.
Apparently at one of my shoots someone brought a rare caliber and shot 22 of them things.
They are a pain in the ass to spot.Like 3/16th shorter.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
I got into some crap yesterday loading a bunch of 38 specials.
I had three gallons of cleaned and ready to go brass.
Toward the last gallon the press got stupid .
pulled the round out and bullet was only half way seated.
Turns out to be 38 long colt.
Apparently at one of my shoots someone brought a rare caliber and shot 22 of them things.
They are a pain in the ass to spot.Like 3/16th shorter.

That's why I ALWAYS read headstamps when sorting brass.

Very worth it when you find a 9x18 Makarov in what you thought was a pile of 9mm Luger.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
X; I know,it bit me in the ass this time.Lucky it was in the last mayo gallon jug.

I have containers labeled for brass in range for each caliber.
I suppose those got tossed into 38special container,when range was open on one of my cookouts.
Its hard to watch a crowd of 30/40 people.
Just a little inconvenience and not complaining
I gets all the brass from my shooters. Big Grin

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very worth it when you find a 9x18 Makarov in what you thought was a pile of 9mm Luger.

What happens when you load a Makarov and shoot it in a 9 MM Para chamber?

Never had one make it's way into the brass bin.

Guess no one at our club shoots it.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:

RMD

Couldn't tell you. I've not done it.

That was actually the first piece of it I've seen. There's noone nearby that shoots that caliber on any of the ranges I go to (or, at least, no one that shoots it and doesn't police their brass). It was in that big flat-rate box of 9mm I bought online.

I read headstamps on everything though. It's especially important with 9mm for me since military 9mm goes in my scrap bucket. Ain't nobody got time for swaging pistol brass!

In all honesty though, the big reason I toss 9mm military is that when I pick up my own brass at the range, and come home to sort it, it's too hard to tell if it's one of mine and has already been swaged, or if it's "new to me" brass that will need swaging. Easier to just use commercial-only 9mm. I mean, it's not like finding "new to me" Lake City 5.56.. That stuff is easy to identify by the lack of chamfer/debur on the case mouth as well as the obvious annealing marks still visible on the neck/shoulder. My processed Lake City is nice and uniform in color (if no longer shiny, thanks to the cans). In fact, with .223, I'm the other way - commercial .223 goes in my scrap bucket.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
quote:

RMD

Couldn't tell you. I've not done it.

That was actually the first piece of it I've seen. There's noone nearby that shoots that caliber on any of the ranges I go to (or, at least, no one that shoots it and doesn't police their brass). It was in that big flat-rate box of 9mm I bought online.

I read headstamps on everything though. It's especially important with 9mm for me since military 9mm goes in my scrap bucket. Ain't nobody got time for swaging pistol brass!

In all honesty though, the big reason I toss 9mm military is that when I pick up my own brass at the range, and come home to sort it, it's too hard to tell if it's one of mine and has already been swaged, or if it's "new to me" brass that will need swaging. Easier to just use commercial-only 9mm. I mean, it's not like finding "new to me" Lake City 5.56.. That stuff is easy to identify by the lack of chamfer/debur on the case mouth as well as the obvious annealing marks still visible on the neck/shoulder. My processed Lake City is nice and uniform in color (if no longer shiny, thanks to the cans). In fact, with .223, I'm the other way - commercial .223 goes in my scrap bucket.

Yes, the LC brass is great in 5.56. I have some that has to be on the 11th or 12th load cycle. It is literally built like a Brick $&-!house. It hasn't been babied either.

Back to the 9X18. Curious to know the outcome in a 9X19 chamber.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:

RMD

I could mail it to you and you're welcome to try it if you like. Wink

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Dumped about 5-600 pieces of 9mm out of the tumbler and decapped them. Put another bunch of hundreds more into the tumbler. At this rate, I should be through that large box of 9mm by February.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Sorted a bunch more 9mm. Found 4 more pieces of Makarov. Next to a 9mm case for comparison.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Ran another 100 pieces of 6.5 over the mandrel. 100 left to go.

posted Hide Post
quote:

RMD

Very likely to chamber, likely to go off, not very likely to cycle the action (significantly less power vs a modern 9x19). Would likely chuck the brass, but not lock the action back. I can make a dummy round and test this theory if you like. I have seen the effects of a 9mm shot in a 40SW chamber several times from both a neighbor and a friend. I have yet to see one of them not go off, and it has happened several times. Brass is never that beat up, but accuracy goes to pot. Wink

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found 3 1lb cans of Winchester Super Field at a lgs yesterday. $75 OTD. First I've seen of it in a year and a half.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Ran that last 100 6.5x47 over the mandrel.

Sorted some more 9mm. Found 1 .380 and 1 Makarov.

Thought about going to the range. Checked the temp. Too cold for that shit.

I'm sick of winter already. Ugh.

posted Hide Post
First time reloading this year, brother and I knocked out 2600 rounds 9mm, should be enough till the middle of summer.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still working on depriming cases. Plan to finish them all then do a marathon tumbling session. Have about 200 left of a total of probably 3500-4500 cases. Six different calibers. Hopefully be ready on New Years Day to start the tumbling process.

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
357 mag and 45 long colt

Posts: 122 | Registered: October 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Emptied the tumbler.

Filled the tumbler with the 5-600 pieces of 9mm I sorted last time.

Sorted out another 5-600 pieces so it's ready to go. Found 3 more Makarov and 2 more .380 auto.

Glanced longingly at my 6.5 stuff.

Thought about cleaning my 308 for the Hangover 400 tomorrow. Decided I'm too lazy. Plus, the whole clean/cold bore argument. I'll leave it dirty. Not like I can go foul it today, it's below 0 with the wind chill. Ugh.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Emptied the tumbler.

Filled the tumbler with the 5-600 pieces of 9mm I sorted last time.

Sorted out another 5-600 pieces so it's ready to go. Found 3 more Makarov and 2 more .380 auto.

Glanced longingly at my 6.5 stuff.

Thought about cleaning my 308 for the Hangover 400 tomorrow. Decided I'm too lazy. Plus, the whole clean/cold bore argument. I'll leave it dirty. Not like I can go foul it today, it's below 0 with the wind chill. Ugh.

Where do you live exx1976?

I live in Sweden and the only pleasrubly time of the year to shoot is summer time. We do have an indoor range but there I mostly shoot 22lr. Last weekend i loaded 450 45 acp on a angle stage lee press. 4.9 grains of vv N320 under a 200 grain H&G no 68.

Posts: 414 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden. | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I live in North central Wisconsin, about 5 or so hours' drive north of Chicago.

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Youngest boy shot his first reloads out of his Savage. Thermometer said 3F with about a 12-15kt West wind.

OK...we did take quite a few breaks. Big Grin

Thanks jelrod, putting those 165gr Core-loks to good use!

42gr Varget
WW brass
WLR
2.190 to ogive

His first shots at 100yds. Not bad considering the conditions. (Disregard the 17HMR holes and the ones on the right..those are mine.)

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post