SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What did you do today in reloading-land?
Page 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 98
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you do today in reloading-land? Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
Setup the 3rd complete tool head for my 550B.

This one will be used for loading 9mm Major for my new custom Open gun that I just picked up yesterday.

Loaded up 40 124gr test rounds with CFE Pistol to give them a try through the new gun.

9mm major is tough to achieve. I have only run into two shooters who are doing this at our USPSA club. What that, instead of the more common .40 major?

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
Loaded up 40 124gr test rounds with CFE Pistol to give them a try through the new gun.

9mm major is tough to achieve. I have only run into two shooters who are doing this at our USPSA club. What that, instead of the more common .40 major?
 [/QUOTE]

I know a bunch of local Open shooters that are running 9 major without running into pressure problems. In fact most of these guys used to run 38 super and 38 super comp and have moved to 9mm major because its not that hard to achieve and the brass is way cheaper.

The only place I've ever seen 40 cal used is in Limited or single stack.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know a bunch of local Open shooters that are running 9 major without running into pressure problems. In fact most of these guys used to run 38 super and 38 super comp and have moved to 9mm major because its not that hard to achieve and the brass is way cheaper.

The only place I've ever seen 40 cal used is in Limited or single stack.

Isn't 9mm major PF a bit tough on the brass (like 2 or 3 reloads?).

There are several at our club who shoot .40 in Open, mostly because they also use .40 for Limited and SS, keeping to only one caliber for reloading.

Funny, though, skill comes into play a bit, too. At yesterday's well-attended club match, the top overall score was posted by a Limited shooter (Nils Jonasson), and he bested 3 Grandmaster Open shooters. In May's 1st Saturday match, he took top overall shooting SS, besting two GM Open shooters. I find that remarkable because of the number of reloads required for SS.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
Isn't 9mm major PF a bit tough on the brass (like 2 or 3 reloads?).

I guess only time will tell. For the most part I am shooting once fired brass and most of my brass gets lost at matches. I have heard of some guys reloading the same brass 10 times but I personally don't have enough experience with the load to confirm that.

Several of them also shoot range pick ups that they have no idea how many reloads are on them with no issues.

I finally ended up settling on 6.8gr load of CFE Pistol at 1.165" OAL with a 169PF that runs well in the gun and the brass and primers show no signs of pressure problems. Loaded up 950 this afternoon to do a little practice with the gun.

I have the opportunity to shoot matches with several local GM's but nobody the caliber of Nils. We have a Production GM that will sometimes take the overall win from time to time.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Several of them also shoot range pick ups that they have no idea how many reloads are on them with no issues.

I finally ended up settling on 6.8gr load of CFE Pistol at 1.165" OAL with a 169PF that runs well in the gun and the brass and primers show no signs of pressure problems. Loaded up 950 this afternoon to do a little practice with the gun.

Good luck with your load. At least you won't be losing as much at "lost brass" matches.

I only reload my own brass, which I mark, and therefore know the provenance of it. I would not trust any range "pick up".

Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Loaded approx. 50 .32 acp, Meister 78gr. RNL on top of 2.1 gr. of Red Dot with a COAL of . 975 inches for my Beretta 81 FS.

All 4 of my 12 round magazines ate this load without a hitch this afternoon. Smile

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Stuck a damn 308 case in my F/L die. Never had my lube fail before. This one is really stuck! It ain't coming out while I walk this earth.

RMD

Put it in the freezer and then try to pull it...

Then go buy some Imperial Sizing Wax

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Well I sized the two ammo cans of 06 brass the God sons fired last month thru the M-1's and the o3. Will finish full workup today and reclean for loading.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Stuck a damn 308 case in my F/L die. Never had my lube fail before. This one is really stuck! It ain't coming out while I walk this earth.

RMD

Put it in the freezer and then try to pull it...

Ha! Thanks. Hadn't thought of that.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Loaded 200 rds of 45acp. 200 gr cast swc over 5.0 of 231.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Bought the first of the remaining tools and supplies I'll need: A digital caliper.

I may not be done for the day Razz. I may yet today pick up at least one of the two scales I'm planning on, and maybe the chrono.

ETA: 1st digital scale and RCBS funnel pan thingy ordered.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been unloading 150-250 rounds for the last few days.
Brought in the two cases of Montana Gold bullets the mail man dropped off today.

Posts: 402 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Cut the legs off the bench so the top is 36" ish, needs shimmed a touch, added a piece of 19/32 sandable ply to the 19/32 OSB and glued and screwed to the bench. Bolted the press back down, loosely put the dies in awaiting my bullet order to set them.

Sorted all my brass by caliber, tumbled a few hundred 9mm. Still need to buy some calipers and case lube.

It seems I'm almost there, after almost a year since I bought the press.

UGH, the tumbling. I'm about halfway through 4 gallons of 9mm. Not looking forward to the 5.56.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Don't feel bad, Riley. I have to finish the micro-barn before I can clean out the garage before I can completely gut and rebuild a room before I can build my reloading and cleaning bench in said room Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Added some better legs on my reloading station -
Finished a Box of 357 Sigs - and preparing to gear up for my new adventure - 22TCM.

Really love this round - a hoot to shoot

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

1300+ rounds of 10mm (every brass case I had). Over two days (the garage in AZ is hot this time of year).

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Loaded 500 rounds of .45ACP 185gr JHP's on the new Dillon 650.

What a wonderful machine! Took me 1 1/2 hrs including filling up five pickup tubes of primers, and a few boo-boo's along the way in learning how to run this big blue thing. Smile

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Tested one of my scales.

I settled on getting a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Precision Scale, for trickling, and a Lyman Gen6 Digital Powder Measure. The FA scale dropped $15 at Amazon, so I pulled the trigger on it now.

Then I got to wondering: "How will I know?" Luckily, I found a 1 gram Troemner Class 2 NIST-traceable test weight on eBay for $22, shipped USPS Priority.

Lookin' good Smile

(The scale's resolution is 0.005 gm.)

Saturday, Aug. 5 Update

Stopped by the new Cabela's, whose Grand Opening was this weekend. They had Winchester large pistol primers on sale for $28/1000. Picked up two thousand of those, a 1 lb. can of Win 231 powder and a bag of 100 Starline 45 (Long) Colt brass Smile They gave me the military discount for being a veteran.

Stopped by my best friend's. He gave me his Lee Auto-Prime. (Already had the shell holders.) If I wanted to use the hand press, I could actually start reloading .45 ACP and .45 Colt now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Reloaded another 1500 rounds of .45ACP, this 2000 rounds of .45's should last me till spring for my bullseye shooting.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got 10,000 pieces of 9mm brass and 2500 pieces of 40 s&w brass. I usually do not buy brass but it was very good price.
I also picked up about a thousand pieces of brass at the club this week.

Posts: 402 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post