SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    10mm loads with Extreme plated bullets?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10mm loads with Extreme plated bullets? Login/Join 
The Constable
posted
I have a quantity of 180 gr, Extreme plated 10mm bullets , yet have never loaded plated.

Not looking for max loads, just a 1000-1100 fps that will function my 1006 Smith.

I'm currently set up for ten with BLUE DOT in the hopper. Any thoughts on those bullets and BD?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FN in MT,

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I have a quantity of 180 gr, Extreme plated 10mm bullets , yet have never loaded plated.

Not looking for max loads, just a 1000-1100 fps that will function my 1006 Smith.

I'm currently set up for ten with BLUE DOT in the hopper. Any thoughts on those bullets and BD?

I have tried Blue Dot, but from what I read and experienced, it gets better the hotter the load gets. I might look for a slightly faster burning powder for lighter loads. BD can be dirty at lower velocity loads. I load 200gr FMJ at about 925fps using WST, this strictly for the games and practice. I like the SIG 180 ammo for genuine real practice, and when I can afford it, the Underwood 180gr Gold Dot HP for ultimate practice and carry.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
BULLET WEIGHT180 GR. SIE JHC
ManufacturerHodgdon
PowderUniversal
Bullet Diameter.400"
C.O.L.1.260"
Starting Load
Grains5.4
Velocity (ft/s)965
Pressure22,300 PSI
Maximum Load
Grains6.4
Velocity (ft/s)1,122
Pressure32,200 PSI

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

I would look to a modest charge of a medium speed handgun powder. The above is off the Hodgdon site with H-Universal powder. Of course others would work.

No 10mm here, but I have used Universal with plated bullets in my 40 s&w's without issues.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I agree Frank, BD not your best bet for 1100fps loads. I would drop to something a bit faster, in the Unique/WSF/BE86 range. I save BD for max 200gr loads.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies Gents.

Fred....Do I need to do anything different with plated versus regular jacketed? I have heard that on some plated bullets, the jacket can be deformed inward with too aggressive a crimp. I'll watch for that.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Fred....Do I need to do anything different with plated versus regular jacketed? I have heard that on some plated bullets, the jacket can be deformed inward with too aggressive a crimp. I'll watch for that.

My experience was a little more "bell" is needed on the case when using plated. Otherwise, when you seat the bullet, unless it is perfectly aligned, you can shave off the plating. Jacketed are more forgiving.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, i load them like lead bullets. Just enough crimp to make the feed. Overcrimping really plays havoc with accuracy. Why i prefer coated lead for most shooting nowdays.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post