SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Struggling to justify the cost for reloading 5.56 - tips?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Struggling to justify the cost for reloading 5.56 - tips? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Any tips for creating a better cost savings loading 5.56 ?

My best calculations come to $225 per 1k using my own brass. (That's with Hornady 55gr FMJ at $86 per 1k)

I do not count equipment overhead, but I have a 550B and a Lee single stage, so the big stuff is covered.

Comparable factory ammo, at least for the time being, can be found on sale for around $250 per 1k M193.

Anyone have a recommendation for added savings?

I do not need extreme accuracy. If I can regularly dink a plate maybe down to 4" at 100 yards with a red dot I'd be happy.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
If you do not have to pay shipping cost and don't need a better bullet for general blasting, buy the factory loaded stuff and stash your components for when this is no longer such a great deal. Bonus is more once fired brass for the day when components again become either tight supply or stupid expensive...or both.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My plinking 55 grain 5.56 runs at $0.17 per round using FMJBT WITH C M-193 mil spec bullets and my LC brass.

My mach grade 5.56 using Sierra matchking bullets runs at $0.37 per round.

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I am right at 20c a rd, at todays cost, using bulk hornady. It's always about buying in bulk for best price; 8# of powder, 5k primers, 6k bullets minimum.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
If it doesn’t make sense, don’t do it.

I quit reloading 9mm for about a decade when I had a smoking deal on factory ammunition.

I only started back at the time to gain the competitive advantage. It cost me more and I had to do the work but I also won a lot of matches because of it.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
IMHO, you have to think beyond one (1) reload and think about the 2nd, 3rd (or more) times you reload that piece of brass. If you're loading a non-match grade, very low pressure round for plinking, then the brass can probably withstand 2, 3, or 4 reloads**. That brings the cost down SIGNIFICANTLY if all you're talking for cost is primer, powder, and bullet on future reloads with the same brass. Again...notice I said a "very low pressure load". Load to the velocity/pressures of factory ammo, i.e., Federal XM-193, and you'll more than likely get fewer loads from the same piece of brass, said Captain Obvious. Smile

** Disclaimer: I don't shoot enough (shame on me) to have reloaded a 5.56mm cartridge more than once.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
My 223 range reloads come in at $210-220 per 1,000 rds, depending on fluctuation in the cost of primers and powder. I use the cheapest 55gr fmj bullets I can find. That is not putting any cost on the brass. I don't think I can load them much cheaper.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I easily get 8X reloads on my range pickup 223. Since it is free to start with, even better.

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Depending on powder I'm using I am about 0.15 - 0.17/round for my .223. I have thousands of pieces of new once fired LC brass waiting so no cost there.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
It is not about the cost,to reload starting out it outrageously expensive now days.
That would components and machines and assorted tools.
That feat on tools took fifty years,well I am there and winding down in life.
I am flushes with presses most brands of dies,probably 25 k of bullets on hand so much powder that it is dangerous.Least 40 k of primers.
They the hobby took a left turn and I started casting Frown
This is an expensive road,even though all my lead was free.[I swap aluminum for wheel weights] hence free.
Then that turned down another avenue as I hate to clean guns.[bullet wax makes a mess]
Brought me right to powder coating.That brought me to making tools to do 300 in one baking much like the casting,sizing brought me to turning my own dies for the lyman and the Starr with the auto loader.
It has been a labor of love I must confess and I have about 50,000 rounds I will never be able to shoot.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
It is not about the cost,to reload starting out it outrageously expensive now days.
That would components and machines and assorted tools.
That feat on tools took fifty years,well I am there and winding down in life.
I am flushes with presses most brands of dies,probably 25 k of bullets on hand so much powder that it is dangerous.Least 40 k of primers.
They the hobby took a left turn and I started casting Frown
This is an expensive road,even though all my lead was free.[I swap aluminum for wheel weights] hence free.
Then that turned down another avenue as I hate to clean guns.[bullet wax makes a mess]
Brought me right to powder coating.That brought me to making tools to do 300 in one baking much like the casting,sizing brought me to turning my own dies for the lyman and the Starr with the auto loader.
It has been a labor of love I must confess and I have about 50,000 rounds I will never be able to shoot.

I would be more than honored to help shoot some of that! Big Grin

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would be more than honored to help shoot some of that! Big Grin

I am six miles south of Atlanta airport,what is your arrival date and time Smile

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

My best calculations come to $225 per 1k using my own brass. (That's with Hornady 55gr FMJ at $86 per 1k)

I do not count equipment overhead, but I have a 550B and a Lee single stage, so the big stuff is covered.

Comparable factory ammo, at least for the time being, can be found on sale for around $250 per 1k M193.

I do not need extreme accuracy. If I can regularly dink a plate maybe down to 4" at 100 yards with a red dot I'd be happy.

You can watch for sales. Brownells just had free shipping & No Hazmat sale. Powder Valley has some good sales during the year so look over their site often. If you are able, different dealers sell 6,000 Hornady 55gr FMJBT for ~$400. 8lb kegs of powder are substantially less cost than 1lb. Best pricing on primers varies. Usually buying 10 cases of 5000 primers doesn't get you any better deal than just 1 case. Good luck. Also use the link stickied on the top of the Reloading Section "Big List of Reloading Links". Deals are to be had.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

You can watch for sales. Brownells just had free shipping & No Hazmat sale. Powder Valley has some good sales during the year so look over their site often. If you are able, different dealers sell 6,000 Hornady 55gr FMJBT for ~$400. 8lb kegs of powder are substantially less cost than 1lb. Best pricing on primers varies. Usually buying 10 cases of 5000 primers doesn't get you any better deal than just 1 case. Good luck. Also use the link stickied on the top of the Reloading Section "Big List of Reloading Links". Deals are to be had.

To wit: No hazmat. Looks like it's still going on...

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SlimMan
posted Hide Post
I run about 12-13 cents per for primer and bullet only. Depending on the powder you choose and the the load you are using, that can vary up and down around the 10 cents mark. So your price is similar to mine. By being selective on the powder you use (and buying in 8 lb jugs) you can probably knock you per 1000 price down to nearer $200. Still not a great deal of difference unless you go through a lot of 223 ammo in a year.

Posts: 268 | Location: Parrish FL | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I would not start just reloading for 223 if that was the only gun I had & I only shot 1000rds a year. If you are alrea

Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you are already reloading, then adding the gear to do 223 is cheap compared to just 1000rds of ammo. Anyone can reload 223 for 20c per round or a bit less for blasting ammo. In a shtf scenario, it's good to have ammo options.

posted Hide Post
Based on my experience with US events that have made it hard to get .223 in the past. I would have enough to load however much you shoot in a year and continue to shoot cheap factory until the prices or availability go up again. Loading rifle for volume is a pain to me. Now I load all my own handgun though and always will (except carry ammo.)

Posts: 32 | Registered: August 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whether or not reloading makes substantial economic sense depends on a host of factors, starting with what round is being reloaded.

My advice is to consider reloading an adjunct pastime in it's own right. For some of us, it is justified by the satisfaction of making something ourselves, as well as severing (at best in part) dependence on the ammo makers. If that works for you, then go for it without obsessing about savings. If not and you're limited to something (comparatively) cheap and (comparatively) available, stick to factory.

Posts: 55 | Location: Boston | Registered: May 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post